Quintillus upgrade.... cheap duplicate coming to the Coin Cabinet :)

GregH

8 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

To be fair, if I was a multi-millionaire, I would pay £2400 for such a great example.

And this is why multi-millionaires are a pain in the butt to the rest of us!  And the multi-billionaires to the multi-millionaires etc...

I guess when it comes to ancients, we all have to be happy with coins that have "problems," it's just that our budget determines what counts as a problem.  And then we choose coins that have our preferred problems. 😄

I agree with @Claudius_Gothicus that it's not that hard to find a nice Claudius II.  (Unless you insist upon a British hoard coin, @John Conduitt😜 Very cool btw.)

I got my first "nice portrait" CII from Frank Robinson when I was still a teenager:

image.jpeg.9f03666f8e3492af346ef56c812e1b30.jpeg

I thought this looked more "naturalistic" than most of his portraits.  In the context of this thread, though, it's not so impressive.

I count this as a nice (1st issue) Milan (similar to @Qcumbor's above):

image.jpeg.df988468a80f64262ae52124d0d6c68d.jpeg

But I still think the most characterful and artistic portraits of CII are to be found in Alexandria:

image.jpeg.d408ab9ba2400fae44dbf281623e8b0c.jpeg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I was bidding on the OP coin too. Just saw this thread. It's a fantastic example for a Quintillus.

I've got a handful of Quintilli (apparently 4 photographed) but the first one is far and away my favorite (only partly because it was previously Elvira Clain-Stefanelli Collection, with her tag, and then Orfew-A. Short collection, purchased at Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada 2, a true feast for provenance enthusiasts). Having a complete legend is rare, so just having his full name made this one special (if you look closely, most of mine below at least come close to a full QVINTILLVS if nothing else -- I see it on others too, so my theory is those striking the coins intentionally erred in that direction to get the name on it, but it's just a theory):

image.png.31d5bf193caf73261c9e459d348484bf.png

Another from the "pick-bin" in the same auction (their photo), previously Doug Smith, acquired in 1999 from Perry Siegel (Herakles):

image.jpeg.90d7bfe9752151a6caa6c59c4c393073.jpeg

For yet another reverse type, here my Providentia, ex Agora, ex Spartan Numismatics:

image.jpeg.e284a20dfb08136e203a7f62f70f8e84.jpeg

My old Fortvna Redvx / Z , which I seem to recall from long ago was rather scarce, but I wouldn't swear to that (a group lot rescue from maybe 20 years ago):

image.png.e27a64f549792f0b8e2d11ce2dbb723e.png

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 5