A lucky find of LRB's.

Dafydd

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)

I visited a large open air car boot sale yesterday morning which is similar to a USA flea market. There is a regular coin dealer who sells bullion and commemorative issues but occasionally has items of interest to me. He had literally bought two cases of LRB's that morning and was examining them as I turned up. There are 24 coins in Light House Quickslabs, every coin has a COA with the individual emperors condensed history. I asked the price and didn't argue with the dealers price as it was more than fair and I hoped that one coin might cover the whole collection. After I paid him, the dealer quite smugly said that he had doubled his money within an hour and I said "good, I didn't buy them to make money" 

Bizarrely @Orange Julius reviewed a new book yesterday and by happenstance,  on one of the very pages he posted was one of my coins!

Given the detailed professionally printed COA's there is no doubt that this collection was a multiple (overpriced) offering at some time in the past. The dealer had no interest as he said he knew they were not denarius and assumed low value given their presentation, but I wanted to ask if any member has seen this set before and who originally sold them and when?

Here are some images.

image.jpeg.ad245203c0fd9c43649d70ad70acb6c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.c6c7a5681ea531f5d8a0517d6f66f6f4.jpeg

image.jpeg.369efe6ff5966c69514a01e43e1f6b7b.jpeg

This is the coin described in the book that @Orange Julius reviewed.

image.jpeg.95267fb0cc1c28a570bc1a9d82c256e7.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c56dd95ffabc98668416f41bc7354a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.82a1a94052d084e22fd8784d01306957.jpeg

I have never had an inclination to own a slabbed ancient but it seems a shame to break up the presentation but, as they are in Quickslabs, I can easily remove them for photography. One coin has bronze disease so easy removal is a blessing to see if I can save it. This method of display  gives an alternative interesting option to store coins. I use Quickslabs to store later milled coins as it allows me to store them neatly without the danger of damage but with the option of handling them when I have the urge.

If anyone can identify the origins of this set and what it was sold for I would be grateful. I paid £200/$250 and suspect these were probably sold individually at some point. 

Edited by Dafydd
typo
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter

Regardless of your and others investigations into previous ownership etc. you have a marvelous new collection of acquisitions. Good luck with the sleuthing.

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
25 minutes ago, expat said:

Regardless of your and others investigations into previous ownership etc. you have a marvelous new collection of acquisitions. Good luck with the sleuthing.

Thank you @expat my sentiments exactly and regardless of the interest in the provenance I agree that the sleuthing will provide the most fun and greatly assisted when the new Caza book arrives.

• Clap 2