a decent birthday present for Dad?

I hope I picked a decent present.  This dealer had some coins I wanted, so I bundled.  I considered the left-facing tet to be neater, but this one was prettier.

A Louis XIV medal was the initial target from Numiscorner, but perhaps I'll do that for Christmas.  Their descriptions (although they do seem to have better ones on their website, perhaps I'll just look there) are sparse, and I really don't know how to pick an old/fairly original one, other than picking the oldest-looking medal.

He said he prefers coins which will fit in his binder.  The Louis medal is HUGE.

GordianIII-238-244-ARTetradrachm-Antioch-27mm12.20gPrieur282aEF.jpg.6271d16e1105a59caf611e7039e08014.jpg

Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch. Gordian III. 238-244 AD. BI Tetradrachm (12.20gm, 27mm). Obv.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right seen from behind. Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞΟΥCΙΑC, eagle standing facing, head and tail left, wings spread, wreath in beak, standing on exergual line; SC in exergue. Prieur 282

• Like 9
  • Yes 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Does he specifically collect ancients?

None of my relatives collect ancients, so I've given coins that fit their personalities.

My older son who loves sports - Aspendos stater
My younger son who wants to be a movie director - Istros drachm
My cousin who loves dolphins - Sinope drachm
My aunt who goes by the nickname 'Godzilla' - Julia Maesa denarius
My wife - a near perfect Antoninus Pius denarius (because she's perfect)
Another cousin who's also interested in coins - a 'names and types of Alexander' drachm
Another cousin who loves horses - Carthage bronze

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Posted · Supporter

Maybe buy him a binder with larger pockets so you are not so limited in what you have to buy? It would make a nice gift with the medal already inside the binder.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:58 PM, kirispupis said:

Does he specifically collect ancients?

None of my relatives collect ancients, so I've given coins that fit their personalities.

My older son who loves sports - Aspendos stater
My younger son who wants to be a movie director - Istros drachm
My cousin who loves dolphins - Sinope drachm
My aunt who goes by the nickname 'Godzilla' - Julia Maesa denarius
My wife - a near perfect Antoninus Pius denarius (because she's perfect)
Another cousin who's also interested in coins - a 'names and types of Alexander' drachm
Another cousin who loves horses - Carthage bronze

He mostly only collects ancients, yes, with the probable caveat of really neat medieval or early modern coins.  Most were 1970's purchases from a now-defunct downtown department store.  He's been buying up $20 examples which the coin store currently has, which aren't terrible for the price, but I always try to get him something nicer.

I picked out a very nice republican denarius last year.  He was slightly disappointed with it.  He prefers coins of emperors or some individual.  He did really like the ex-CNG Divus Augustus As for Christmas.  He also really liked the Louis XIV medal I bought for mom, although I suspect that found its way into his binder.  She's interested in history, but doesn't collect coins.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1