Uncnown for me 10-11 century Holy Roman empire denar

Annes Kabel

Aargh, Annes, I wish my 'batting average' would eventually improve!  Again, starting from Kluge, I can't find a plate (anywhere) resembling the undeniably distinctive field legend on your first one.  One could want to think that the second one, with the legend 'IMP C' (presumably the obverse), would be Conrad II (1024-1039).  But again, there's only a vague resemblance in Kluge; from Aachen, with a bird on the reverse, along with the legend PALATV AQVIS --with no correspondence to the legend on your example.  (You could wish Kluge would cite Dannenberg; some references are kind enough to do that sort of thing.)  Sorry....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yowie!  Late-Breaking news flash!  (...Thought this was going to be a day for errands, but there's all week for that.)

This is from Dr. Peter Ilisch (sorry, no umlauts:)  'Die Munzpragung im Herzogtum Niederlothringen.' (Jarboek voor Munt- en Penningkunde; 100 Special: 2014.  Amsterdam: Koningklijk Nederlands Genootschap.)

Section 34; 'Luttich /Liege.'  P. 225, 34.12.  Konrad II, 1027-1039.

Obv.  Diademed profile to right; IMP CONRADVS.  (Using Google Translate from the original German.)

Rev.  Rider reining the horse with his right hand, his left raised.  (From lower left: -S- L [/] A [/] MB [/] T.  

Citing Dannenberg 1998 (without the initial 'S'.)

Here's the article on Lambert, patron saint of Liege, from (sorry, English) Wikipedia.  It's an engaging read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_of_Maastricht 

...This a Fun one!  Hope you keep us posted on when you starting listing these.

(Edit:) And, Nope, it's not in Kluge, who has an index of mints at the back.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

...Rats, no luck from Ilisch with your first one.  In this monograph, which is all I know of his work, his format is similar to Kluge, with good, mostly photographic plates on the same page as the text listings.  ...Relative to Dannenberg, that helps when you're like me, and don't know what you're looking for in the first place!

Thank you, JeandArc! My first guess was also bishop Lambert (995-1018) Constanz- based on the letters L AMB--, but that did not match the reign of Conrad II (1024-1039), (IMP CO--).  

The first denar is quite similar in texture and elements used in designe to Belgium, Lower Lorraine denars from the reign of OTTO III. Unfortunately, I do not found exact this formation.

• Like 1