You Can Still Get Some Very Cool Stuff on eBay

John Conduitt

As much as I dislike wading through all the fakes, occasionally something interesting pops up on eBay.

This worn disk doesn't look much. But I don't see many of these found in Britain, presumably because it's so old - struck before any coins were being produced in Britain, and maybe before coins were even being used. And it weighs 28g, more than my precise scales can handle. And it comes with a documented provenance going back 74 years. And it cost $30.

The coin, the letter from the British Museum and notes made by the original owner/finderimage.png.4ea93ef2d3ab3d785ad1811106a8caf6.png

It even came packaged inside an old cloth bag, presumably from the 1940s.

The letter from the British Museum (the equivalent of a TPG in 1948) says it dates to 150-100BC. However, contrary to what they said, and what the original owner thought it might be 74 years ago, I think (with the help of such modern inventions as the internet) there are discernable letters on the coin, and they point to an even earlier date. (You may disagree).

Roman Republic A. Caecilius As, 169-158BC

image.png.3eabe849d54c85ddeb45fb1f9c640a95.png

Rome. Bronze, 31-33mm, 28g. Laureate 2-faced Janus, I (value) above. Prow of galley right, I before, A CÆ above, (ROMA below) (Syd 355; Cr174/1). Purportedly found on farmland in East Anglia.

Ok, the coin is very worn and probably only appeals to collectors like me with very specific interests, but now I know what Coin Roll Hunters feel like. Only this is much better than any error penny 😉

Post anything interesting you found in an unexpected place...

• Like 26
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

John Conduitt;

The pedigree is very impressive and I have found people really want any old documentation, especially 19th century pen and ink tags.  You were very lucky to get this material and the coin for $30!  I am saddened you have had so many experiences with fakes on eBay as for people like me with 20 years into the store they keep a tight leash on us, you don't get your discount in the top rated program if you don't stand in line and scan the envelope at the post office in 24 hours 98% of the time consistently, and all returns must be accepted and are automatically accepted without even contacting me actually so I hope a lot of us who use the platform at least are accepted as good places to shop.  As I tell my friend Bob L often, I have customers who might have been searching for an owl necklace for their girlfriend and stumble onto my listing and start by messaging me and asking how can this ancient coin be worth so little and how do I tell what is real etc.  And in a year they are often correcting me for mint-marks on my listings so I like to think we help natural ancient coin collectors find the hobby they never knew they were interested in.  (I think tonight I'll list a lot of old tag pedigree coins if people find them fun...)

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, LouisvilleKYShop said:

John Conduitt;

The pedigree is very impressive and I have found people really want any old documentation, especially 19th century pen and ink tags.  You were very lucky to get this material and the coin for $30!  I am saddened you have had so many experiences with fakes on eBay as for people like me with 20 years into the store they keep a tight leash on us, you don't get your discount in the top rated program if you don't stand in line and scan the envelope at the post office in 24 hours 98% of the time consistently, and all returns must be accepted and are automatically accepted without even contacting me actually so I hope a lot of us who use the platform at least are accepted as good places to shop.  As I tell my friend Bob L often, I have customers who might have been searching for an owl necklace for their girlfriend and stumble onto my listing and start by messaging me and asking how can this ancient coin be worth so little and how do I tell what is real etc.  And in a year they are often correcting me for mint-marks on my listings so I like to think we help natural ancient coin collectors find the hobby they never knew they were interested in.  (I think tonight I'll list a lot of old tag pedigree coins if people find them fun...)

Yes old labels are good. Especially on eBay - I don’t think they make those in Bulgaria yet 😂

What I really like about this Janus As is that with the notes, you can feel the excitement of finding it and trying to guess what it is. Then sending it off to the British Museum and even they look at it and say it is ‘not without interest’. For an English museum curator in the 1940s, you can’t get much more excited than that.

• Like 1

That is waaaaay freaking cool @John Conduitt! love the provenance and the coin!

Anything associated with the British Museum is exciting. I remember being stoked when I found a die match between one of my coins and one of theirs.

0492E9C8-21FC-4D23-B6EC-77481F8DA0CB.jpeg.3a1d22c0a89f880ab354580256f7162a.jpeg

Of course that is nothing compared to having old documents proving they actually looked at your new coin. 

• Like 8