Emperors of 238 ad - And a fantastic ringstone

Orange Julius

• 2 weeks later...

Zombie Thread? Lets take him alive 😉 ... I catch two "new" Gordian Denarius from Switzerland. They dont have any cheese holes - but there are in a fine uncirculated condition - and one of them - I mean - in a fantastic brown patina. Description is from the auction house - I check this later.

image.png.98669ea493451cc28d76b55a11766316.png

Gordian III. (238 -244 AD), Denar, Silver (2.9g), struck 241 AD, Rome. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate and draped bust right / SECVRITAS PVBLICA, Securitas seated left holding sceptre. RIC 124. UNC-

image.png.c10b41fdda7e84d0a6f080166120eb3d.png

Gordian III (238 -244 AD), Denar, Silver (3.0 g.), struck 241-243 AD, Rome. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian to right/ AETERNITATI AVG Sol standing left, extending his right arm and holding globe in his left hand. Cohen 41. RIC 83. UNC-

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg.2344a86fb6e7674bec4183d55bf1afde.jpeg

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III
Bronze Medaillon of the Roman Imperial Period 238/244 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 35mm; Weight: 22.24g; Mint: Tomis, Moesia Inferior; Reference: RPC Online VII.2 1676; Provenance: Ex Nilus Coins, private sale with old dealer tag; Obverse: Radiate and cuirassed bust of Gordian III, left, seen from front, with gorgoneion on cuirass, raising right hand, in left hand holding globe. The inscription reads: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟⳞ ΑΥΓ for Autokrator Kaisaros Marcos Antonios Gordianos Augustos (Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus); Reverse: Gordian III, laureate, riding on galloping horse right, with right hand spearing enemy on ground, left. The inscription reads: ΜΗΤΡΟ ΠΟΝΤΟΥ ΤΟΜΕΩⳞ for Metropoleon Pontoupolis Tomeon (Metropolitan Pentapolis Tomis).

Don't fall asleep here! 
I received something very special yesterday - I think.

A beautiful finale for the year 2022 "fluttered" into my hands last night. A large bronze or medallion of Gordianus III from Tomis - with an extravagant portrait style and a great reverse. This is another one of those coins, I'll regret it if I pass it on. Maybe I'll manage to keep it. It fascinates me already! It's not every day I have one of these in my hand.

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Gordian II. AD 238. Æ Sestertius 28 mm. 17.2 gm. Rome mint. Struck 1-22 April. Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: VIRTVS AVGG, SC, Virtus, helmeted, in military attire, standing left, holding shield set on ground in right hand and spear in left. RIC IV 8; BMCRE 31-2; Banti 7. Ex. Dr. Eupremio Montenegro, Torino, 1983. Plate coin from The superb patinas of the Sestertii of Imperial Rome by Elio Biaggi.  Gordian II has the unfortunate distinction of having the shortest reign of any Roman emperor, just 21 days.

ROS6704.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

image.jpeg.c414c2de414bca2fdfbb0b66ffc9c33f.jpeg

Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 238/239 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 23mm; Weight: 4.43g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 3; Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus; Reverse: Pax, draped, standing front, head left, holding branch in extended right hand and transverse sceptre in left hand. The Inscription reads: PAX AVGVSTI for Pax Augusti (Peace provided by the Emperor).

I bought this Gordianus Antoninus at Roma - because I liked the portrait and the toning so much - but above all - somehow - the portrait fascinates me. I think that even with small money and coins that are not so rare - you can get wonderful coins into your collection. Often it is the small things that can fascinate you.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.d4b9727e84c2a4450e03073eb400e16e.jpeg

Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 238/239 AD
Material: Silver
Diameter: 22mm
Weight: 4.77g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 5

Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus.

Reverse: Victory, winged, draped, advancing left, holding wreath in extended right hand and palm, sloped over left shoulder, in left hand. The Inscription reads: VICTORIA AVG for Victoria Augusti (Victory of the Augustus).

The next „new“ Gordianus with a nice portrait I get. I like this Styles from the young Emperor. 
  • Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 3 months later...

4ZeYJib3xc9Q6XCz2rK27xgLsnR5MB.jpg

This is not my coin, I have nothing to do with the store, nor do I get a commission - I only know the store as a friendly dealer. The image is "borrowed" from this offer: Link VCoins

I find the price - dear colleague forgive me - a bit too high 🙂 BUT when I just saw the Gordianus Caesar as a novelty - I thought to myself - this unique specimen must be here in this thread - this coin is worthy of it.

Let's leave the price out of it. This is one of the most beautifully detailed specimens of this type I have seen. Simply wonderful. The reverse has minimal flaws - minimal - but the portrait is so wonderfully pretty.

Should the coin find a new owner - already my congratulations on this magnificent and unique specimen! If I were a Gordianus fan and had too much money to spare and didn't know where to put it - this coin would be in my favored selection 😄 

• Like 3
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 4 weeks later...

THRAXRIC43.jpg.2524e11ae653e4d84bf47e263e80f710.jpg

Gaius Iulius Verus Maximinus I Thrax
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 235/236 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 28mm; Weight: 20.16g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Maximinus Thrax 43

Obverse: Bust of Maximinus I Thrax, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG for Imperator Maximus Pius Augustus; Reverse: Fides, draped, standing front, head left, holding military standard in each hand. The Inscription reads: FIDES MILITVM S C for Fides Militum, Senatus Consultum (Loyalty of the soldiers. Decree of the senate).

My last coin for this night - this Sestertius fervently invoke the loyalty of the legions and soldiers to their emperor. Since Maximinus Thrax was not very popular, he was particularly dependent on loyalty and fidelity as emperor. However, this did not help him - Maximinus was slain by his own troops in April 238 AD - more precisely: by soldiers of legio II Parthica.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

WOW! It's been a while since I've been able to look into this thread. Whenever it pops up, I haven't had the time to look in. 

Anyway, WOW @Prieure de Sion, what a run of amazing Gordian-era coins you've been collecting and buying! My favorite 3 are the Gordian as Caesar, the IOVI CONSERVATORI, or the Pupienus! Keep them coming!

I don't have anything new... actually I do but it's not pretty. I bought a cheap Gordian denarius but the style is really ugly. Maybe I'll photograph is and post it later with a pretty coin to balance out the ugly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new Gordianus III incoming to my home from the Robert S. Sloan Collection... 

gordianusaureus.png.808272465a9a73ca3737123a91204bfc.png

Aureus of the Roman Imperial Period 240 AD; Material: Gold; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 4.68g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 80; Obverse: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from behind. The Inscription reads: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG for Imperator Gordianus Pius Felix Augustus; Reverse: Gordian III on horseback left, right hand raised, transverse scepter in left. The Inscription reads: P M TR P III COS P P for Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Tertia, Consul, Pater Patriae (High priest, holder of tribunician power for the third time, consul, father of the nation).

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 4

On 4/6/2023 at 4:28 AM, Prieure de Sion said:

4ZeYJib3xc9Q6XCz2rK27xgLsnR5MB.jpg

This is not my coin, I have nothing to do with the store, nor do I get a commission - I only know the store as a friendly dealer. The image is "borrowed" from this offer: Link VCoins

I find the price - dear colleague forgive me - a bit too high 🙂 BUT when I just saw the Gordianus Caesar as a novelty - I thought to myself - this unique specimen must be here in this thread - this coin is worthy of it.

Let's leave the price out of it. This is one of the most beautifully detailed specimens of this type I have seen. Simply wonderful. The reverse has minimal flaws - minimal - but the portrait is so wonderfully pretty.

Should the coin find a new owner - already my congratulations on this magnificent and unique specimen! If I were a Gordianus fan and had too much money to spare and didn't know where to put it - this coin would be in my favored selection 😄 

$5,000🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

• Mind blown 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Julius Germanicus said:

Here are my Sestertii of the six Augusti of 238 (plus a Caesar and a deified Empress):

1334538241_maxi.png.45ac445b3cf7a57eec569591b9087b99.png

MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM / VICTORIA GERMANICA
Maximinus, in military attire, standing left, his right hand raised, holding spear in left, German captive seated left at his feet, looking back, emperor crowned by Victory standing left behind him, also holding palm.
Sestertius, Rome ca. September-December 236
32,34 mm / 21,64 gr
RIC 93; BMCRE 198 and pl. 40; Cohen 114; MIR 26-5

plau.png.3f84d6436b2e7aa26768cf1bf16fb8e8.png
PAVLINA / CONSECRATIO
Paulina, raising hand and holding scepter, seated l. on peacock flying upward upward to right; S-C across fields
Sestertius, Rome ca. September-December 236.
31,9 mm, 23.46 gr
RIC IV 3, plate XI (same dies); Banti 1 (same dies)

MXII.png.37e40fbc9382a4371e065dd9c98e26ea.png

MAXIMVS CAES GERM / PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS
Maximus, in military attire, standing left, holding rod pointing downwards in right hand and transverse spear in left, two standards behind; S-C across fields
Sestertius, Rome September 236 – April 238 aD
32,13 mm / 20,36 gr
RIC 13; BMCRE 213; Cohen 14; MIR 37-5

472272206_GI.png.e0a713e413d898e8fcb98dad3fbec66b.png

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANUS AFR AVG / ROMAE AETERNAE S C
Roma seated left on throne, holding Victoriola and leaning on sceptre; shield at side
Sestertius, Rome, April 238
30 mm / 21,40 gr
RIC 10, Cohen 9, BM 10, Banti 6, Sear 8451
ex Münzen and Medaillen AG 552, 1992, lot 42

1933561376_GII.png.9c14a5c86b0dd79cb5ae98fe954b4a2a.png

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG / VICTORIA AVGG
Victory advancing left, wreath upward in right hand, palm in left; S-C across fields.
Sestertius, Rome, April 238 aD
30 mm / 17.21 gr / 1h
Banti 6 (this coin illustrated); RIC 7 (plate XII, Nr.4, same obverse die); BMCRE 29 (plate 42, Nr. 29, illustrating specimen from Naples, same obverse die); Cohen 13 (citing specimen in Paris); Sear 8472.
ex Charles Dupriez 112, 1913; lot 1527

p.png.a7f53d86b64c522894326c4540a6e227.png

IMP CAES M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG / VICTORIA AVGG
Victory standing facing, her head turned left, holding wreath in her right hand and drapery and palm frond in left
Sestertius, Rome, 22. April – 29. July AD 238
32 mm / 23.82 g
RIC 23a, BMC 58, Cohen 38, Sear 8539, Banti 12

b.png.5b81453c37c22dfa2bb48de49398b732.png

IMP CAES D CAEL BALBINVS AVG / CONCORDIA AVGG
Concordia, in long dress, seated left on throne, holding double cornucopiae in her left and patera in her outstretched right hand
Sestertius, Rome, 22 April - 29 July AD 238
30 mm / 18,53 gr
RIC 22, BMCRE 18, Cohen 4, Sear 8494

g.png.fdae6288e8760b23fb7fa233fe3258d3.png

IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG / P M TR P V COS II P P S C
Gordian III, in military attire, advancing right, holding transverse spear and globe; S-C across fields
Sestertius, Rome AD 242 (10th emission of Gordian III)
30 mm / 20,7 gr
RIC 307a, Cohen 267, Banti 75, Sear -

If anybody needs quality Sestertii of the rarer Emperors of 238:

My Gordian I, Gordian II, Maximinus´ Victoria Germanica, Maximus, Paulina, and Pupienus will (among other highlights from the Julius Germanicus Collection) go on sale in the next Leu auction in July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

gordianusaequitas.png.a3e547fe6015f2b73a92febb655d36dc.png

Gordianus III; Silver antoninianus, AD 240.; Obv: IMP CAES GORDIANVS PIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; Reference: RIC IV-51; RSC-22; Die Axis: 7h; Diameter: 22 mm; Weight: 4.32 g.

The day before yesterday I discovered a Gordianus III of higher quality and won it in an auction. Finally, a pretty Gordianus was on offer again - I couldn't resist 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

@Prieure de Sion that’s a beauty! It looks to be in as-struck condition with great surfaces. Gordian has quite the nose here!

Here’s mine that I love for its style and uncleaned but beautiful surfaces. Most Gordian coins are well cleaned by the time you get them (if the can be cleaned). This one could be cleaned but in my opinion, would then loose much if its charm and what makes it special to me.

GordianIII_AEQVITAS_high.JPG.c7c12f3ee84ddc1b2fb8c65183a8fdef.JPG

By the way, how’d that beautiful Aureus look in-hand when it arrived. I’d love to get one of those someday!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

38 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

@Prieure de Sion that’s a beauty! It looks to be in as-struck condition with great surfaces. Gordian has quite the nose here!

Thanks... Yes, the nose almost has something of Pinocchio about it 🙂 

39 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

Here’s mine that I love for its style and uncleaned but beautiful surfaces. Most Gordian coins are well cleaned by the time you get them (if the can be cleaned). This one could be cleaned but in my opinion, would then loose much if its charm and what makes it special to me.

Oh no! My opinion. Please do not clean. It is precisely because of this structure of the colour that your coin is something very special. Imagine if it were just silver. It would be like thousands of other clean silver coins of Gordian. I also find the face very beautiful - especially because of this tint. It's best to leave it exactly like that - I think.

41 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

By the way, how’d that beautiful Aureus look in-hand when it arrived. I’d love to get one of those someday!

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1