Emperors of 238 ad - And a fantastic ringstone

Orange Julius

• Benefactor
On 8/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

This evening I find at RPC Online this fantastic type, when i searching for another coin. This provincial coin from Miletus show at the obverse Balbinus Augustus, Pupienus Augustus and Gordianus Caesar. Fantastic. Anybody seen this coin? I searched in auction archives, but don’t find them.

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/7.1/568 

A9BBC950-D36C-4763-8E5F-F72051545586.jpeg

I found this coin, RPC 569, sold in Naumann 78, lot 514; same obverse die, different but related reverse type:

image00514.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

8 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

Great new coins @Prieure de Sion! Below is my Gordian RIC 81. My obverse is really nice but my reverse is from a mushy strike and worn die. I wish my reverse was as nice as yours!

GordianIIIRomeRICIV-81.JPG.64c300b02df3dfc86e3272d30fd9fc22.JPG

I search for a example who obverse and reverse is perfect… but it’s not easy to find. The reverse of my would be good - but I don’t like 100% the obverse of my coin. Hope sometimes comes the perfect one 🙂 

So let’s combine the obverse and reverse with our two coins 😄 

• Like 3

image.png.310d7431ea4fd0ec88f8777440642136.png

Maximinus I Thrax, Silver Denarius, Rome mint, 235-236 AD, Salus Type
RIC 14: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.4.max_i.14_denarius 

Yesterday i shoot this Denarius from the Raffaele Negrini Auction. This is the Auctionshouse Picture - so I will see what happens in real - and welcome the coin in the collection.

• Like 7
  • Cookie 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.47e83e9de5b3442028b140a4900fe429.png

Pupienus, 238 AD. Sestertius (Orichalcum, 31 mm, 19.68 g, 1 h), Rome, circa April-June 238. IMP CAES M CLOD PUPIENVS AVG Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Pupienus to right, seen from behind. Rev. CONCORDIA AVGG / S C Concordia seated to left, holding patera in her right hand and double cornucopiae with her left. BMC 43. Cohen 7. RIC 20. Ex Adrian Lang Collection, Ex Dr. Gernot Heinrich Collection.

You get together among friends and colleagues to look at coins. Just looking. Rummaging in each other's coin box - and realising - not a good idea. But I find this Pupienus. And the longer the meeting lasted - the voices in my head got louder. "Please take me, take me!" - "What do you want for it? Ok, I'll take it". And already you have a coin - which was not the plan at all today. Gods! Why are you punishing me like this?!

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.515f28945545f1198f939540678b9028.png

Pupienus (238). Antoninianus. Rome.
Obv: IMP CAES PVPIEN MAXIMVS AVG. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: AMOR MVTVVS AVGG. Clasped hands.
RIC 9b. Weight: 5.09 g. Diameter: 23 mm.

image.png.dbcc8440f7f9d0edff7d830fc476a9f0.png

Gordianus III (Caesar, 238). Denarius. Rome.
Obv: M ANT GORDIANVS CAES. Bareheaded and draped bust right.
Rev: PIETAS AVGG. Emblems of the pontificate: lituus, secespita, guttus, simpulum and aspergillum.
RIC 1. Weight: 1.97 g. Diameter: 21 mm.

So that was it privately for the time being. Enough money spent. When you watch "Cold Case" or "CIS" in a few months or years - yes, that was me, sunk in the river by my wife - with a box full of coins for weight. Seriously - that's it with the budget for private pieces for now - with these two coins from Naumann tonight. 

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 2

4 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.png.dbcc8440f7f9d0edff7d830fc476a9f0.png

Gordianus III (Caesar, 238). Denarius. Rome.
Obv: M ANT GORDIANVS CAES. Bareheaded and draped bust right.
Rev: PIETAS AVGG. Emblems of the pontificate: lituus, secespita, guttus, simpulum and aspergillum.
RIC 1. Weight: 1.97 g. Diameter: 21 mm.

Congrats on this amazing score, @Prieure de Sion!!!  Just fabulous.  When you said you were hoping to remedy your lack of a GIII as Caesar soon, I wondered if you were targeting this Naumann coin.  Given the recent market, I thought it might go even higher.  Such a fantastic obverse! 🤩 You must be pleased that you improved upon your previous example, the one you rued selling.  Maybe a good decision, as it turns out, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Maybe a good decision, as it turns out, eh?

Yes... no, but maybe. It works. It's okay. But not more. I'm not jumping for joy. Both coins are not EF or even EF+ ... and for such a quality you can pay around 1000 euros. 

I paid 700-800 euros each for both coins yesterday (without surcharge) and I think - since they are just under EF - that is already the absolute limit. I didn't make a cheap purchase - I didn't make an overpriced purchase either - but I've already reached the end of the line. So it's not something that makes you jump for joy. It's ok. If someone had made the next price jump (50 euros more) - I wouldn't have bid any further.

Long story short. I am satisfied - not happy. 
And now I first have to get rid of "old material" - privately I am forbidden to buy otherwise... 😄 

• Like 3

image.png.8978485fe8eed3fd154e0c6bb7da8c62.png

Gaius Iulius Verus Maximinus I Thrax
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 235/236 AD
Material: Silver
Diameter: 19.7mm
Weight: 2.90g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC IV Maximinus Thrax 16
Provenance: Ex Gerhard Hirsch Numismatik Munich

Obverse: Bust of Maximinus I Thrax, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG for Imperator Maximinus Pius Augustus.

Reverse: Victory, winged, draped, advancing right, holding wreath in extended right hand and palm in left hand. The Inscription reads: VICTORIA AVG for Victoria Augusti (Victory of the Augustus).

image.png.efae6a7d8e1792751f6af1807e517c7c.png

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 241 AD
Diameter: 19.3mm
Weight: 3.40g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 131
Provenance: Ex Gerhard Hirsch Numismatik Munich

Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG for Imperator Gordianus Pius Felix Augustus.

Reverse: Venus, draped, standing left, leaning on shield, holding helmet in right hand and sceptre in left hand. The Inscription reads: VENVS VICTRIX for Venus Victrix (Venus Victorious).

When the postman rings twice. Today I received a consignment from Künker and Hirsch, just like at Christmas. I love it when lots of parcels come to be unwrapped.

In the package from Hirsch Numismatik were these two coins for my private collection. I like the Maximinus I Thrax very much - better than on the auction picture. I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the Gordianus - and I think I will write to the auction house about it. The picture is right - but what you don't see on a b/w auction picture is that the coin has been sharply cleaned.

And the Gordianus is sharply cleaned. I had to darken the image in Photoshop afterwards. You can also see it in the following video - although my iPhone also reduces the brightness considerably (!). I can tell you - the coin is so bright silver - that you can hardly see the details and contours of the coin with your eye. I think you should write something like that in the description - because you can't see something like that on a b/w picture.

I'm thinking about what to do with it - I'll have to google on the internet how to darken silver quickly. At least a little bit. It is really unbearable in real life.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.19e022babc32f3053f767a89c423026c.png

Gordian III Æ 28mm of Ococleia, Phrygia. AD 238-244. ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝ ΓΟΡΔΙ[ΑΝΟϹ], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / ΟΚΟΚΛΙЄƱΝ, Demeter-Cybele standing to right, holding sceptre and ears of corn, lion at feet, facing Zeus standing to left, holding eagle and sceptre; lit altar between them. RPC VII.1 731.1; SNG von Aulock 3899 var. (obv. legend); BMC 6. 13.25g, 28mm, 6h.

Very Fine. Rare.

From a private US collection;
Acquired from Edward J. Waddell, Ltd.

I forgot that I placed a few smaller bids in the Roma auction today. I actually got that ugly Gordianus head. But it was kind of obvious - no one else probably wanted this coin. 😂 Now I just discover - that it is on my "Won" list. Now I have to see what I have won. I didn't find out anything about the coin beforehand. Let's see.

• Like 7

No two special coins - but nevertheless I would like to introduce these two to you. I don't want this beautiful thread to fall asleep. I received both today and immediately catalogued them.

image.png.cb34a4c698d3cf46dfc4da464ed5ca42.png

Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 238/244 AD
Material: AE
Diameter: 20mm
Weight: 3.68g
Mint: Nicaea, Bithynia-Pontus
Reference: RPC VII.2 1966
Provenance: Ex Solidus Numismatik Munich

Obverse:
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordianus III right, seen from front. The Inscription reads: Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ ΑΥΓ for Marcos Antonios Gordianos Augustos (Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus).

Reverse:
Four standards; the central pair topped by eagles, the outer two topped by capricorns. The Inscription reads: ΝΙΚΑΙΕΩΝ for Nikaeion (From the people of Nicaea).

Comment:
Nicaea or Nicea was an ancient Greek city in northwestern Anatolia. The place is said to have been colonized by Bottiaeans, and to have originally borne the name of Ancore (Ἀγκόρη) or Helicore (Ἑλικόρη), or by soldiers of Alexander the Great's army who hailed from Nicaea in Locris, near Thermopylae. The later version however was not widespread even in Antiquity. Whatever the truth, the first Greek colony on the site was probably destroyed by the Mysians, and it fell to Antigonus I Monophthalmus, one of Alexander's successors (Diadochi) to refound the city ca. 315 BC as Antigoneia (Ἀντιγονεία) after himself. Antigonus is also known to have established Bottiaean soldiers in the vicinity, lending credence to the tradition about the city's founding by Bottiaeans. Following Antigonus' defeat and death at the Battle of Ipsus in 301 BC, the city was captured by Lysimachus, who renamed it Nicaea, in tribute to his wife Nicaea, who had recently died.

Along with the rest of Bithynia, Nicaea came under the rule of the Roman Republic in 72 BC. The city remained one of the most important urban centres of Asia Minor throughout the Roman period, and continued its old competition with Nicomedia over pre-eminence and the location of the seat of the Roman governor of Bithynia et Pontus. The geographer Strabo (XII.565 ff.) described the city as built in the typical Hellenistic fashion with great regularity, in the form of a square, measuring 16 stadia in circumference, i.e. approx. 700 m × 700 m (2,297 ft × 2,297 ft) or 0.7 km × 0.7 km (0.43 mi × 0.43 mi) covering an area of some 50 ha (124 acres) or 0.5 km2 (0.2 sq mi); it had four gates, and all its streets intersected one another at right angles in accordance with the Hippodamian plan, so that from a monument in the centre all the four gates could be seen. This monument stood in the gymnasium, which was destroyed by fire but was restored with increased magnificence by Pliny the Younger, when he was governor there in the early 2nd century AD. In his writings Pliny makes frequent mention of Nicaea and its public buildings.

Emperor Hadrian visited the city in 123 AD after it had been severely damaged by an earthquake and began to rebuild it. The new city was enclosed by a polygonal wall of some 5 kilometres in length. Reconstruction was not completed until the 3rd century, and the new set of walls failed to save Nicaea from being sacked by the Goths in 258 AD. The numerous coins of Nicaea which still exist attest the interest taken in the city by the Roman emperors, as well as its attachment to the rulers; many of them commemorate great festivals celebrated there in honor of gods and emperors, as Olympia, Isthmia, Dionysia, Pythia, Commodia, Severia, Philadelphia, etc.

Part of my private collection: 
https://www.colleconline.com/de/items/268615/munzen-antike-bis-romische-provinzial-rpc-1966-238-244-ad-ae-bronze-nicaea-standards

image.png.e00aaa7a1ad0e461e7d3a3c3e85eff21.png

Drachm of the Roman Imperial Period 241-242 AD
Diameter: 17mm
Weight: 4.47g
Mint: Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia
Reference: RPC VII.2 3295
Provenance: Ex Solidus Numismatik Munich

Obverse:
Laureate head of Gordian III right. The Inscription reads: ΑΥ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ for Autokrator Kaisar Marcos Antonios Gordianos (Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus).

Reverse:
View of Mount Argaeus; to left, pellet. The Inscription reads: ΜΗΤΡΟ ΚΑΙϹ(Α) Β Ν(Ɛ), ƐΤ Δ for Metropoleon Kaisareia, Beta Neokoroi, Etous Delta (Metropolitan Caesarea, honor to have 2 temple for the imperial cult, Year 4 (241/242 AD).

Comment:
Caesarea, named in honour of the Roman Emperor Tiberius; Greek Kaisareia, previously Mazaka or Eusebeia, is the capital of the province of the same name, Kayseri, in Cappadocia in Turkey. According to Strabon, the city was still unfortified and surrounded by predatory tribes in his time. The surrounding land was barren, sandy and stony, the city itself "waterless". Numerous "fire pits" seem to have survived from the volcanic activity around Mount Argaeus at that time. Around 77 BC, the city was captured for the second time by the Armenian Great King Tigranes II, who once again had numerous inhabitants deported to his new capital Tigranokerta in northern Mesopotamia. Only after the conquest of this place by the Romans under Pompeius (69 BC) could the resettled population return. With the death of its last king Archelaos, Cappadocia lost its independence in 17 AD and was transformed into the Roman province of Cappadocia under Emperor Tiberius. Mazaka-Eusebeia now served as the provincial capital and was given the name Caesarea (Greek Kaisáreia). After the division of Cappadocia under Emperor Valens, Caesarea was the capital of Cappadocia prima.

Mount Argaeus (modern Erciyes) is a dormant volcano about 3917 m high in Turkey. It is located 25 km south of Caesarea in Cappadocia. The mountain was and is a landmark of Caesarea. In his description of the surroundings of Caesarea, the geographer Strabon reported plains littered with fire pits where flames burst from the ground at night. According to Strabo, there were still sulphurous hot water vapours at Mount Argaeus in his time (54 BC to AD 19). The mountain was still occasionally depicted on the backs of coins for the Greek-minted provinces in Roman times - as on this coin presented here.

A neocorate was a rank or dignity granted by the Roman Senate and the Roman Emperor to certain cities which had built temples to the Emperor or had established cults of members of the Imperial family. The city itself was referred to as neokoros (pl. neokoroi). A temple dedicated to the emperor was also called neocorate. These titles came from the Greek word νεωκόρος, literally a temple-sweeper (νεώς, temple, κορεῖν, to sweep), and was also used for a temple attendant and for a priestly holder of high rank who was in charge of a temple. Starting in the 2nd century A.D., the title appeared on many coins. The term was first used as a title for a city for Ephesus and its Temple of the Sebastoi. There were approximately 37 cities holding the neocorate, concentrated in the province of Asia, but also in neighboring provinces. A city could be granted more than one neokoros, and the number of neokoroi was often indicated in the reverse legend of coins (B = 2, Γ = 3, ∆ = 4). Source: Numiswiki.

Part of my private collection: 
https://www.colleconline.com/de/items/268620/munzen-antike-bis-romische-provinzial-rpc-3295-241-242-ad-silver-drachm-caesarea-mount-argaeus 

• Like 8

image.jpeg.9f6c29c150553e043799c6e5ea17c581.jpeg

This was not (!) my coin - just an example from RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/7.2/3225 

When I searched the RPC Online for the exact reference to my silver drachm - this tridrachm immediately caught my eye in the Caesarea category. Isn't that a wonderfully beautiful coin? Great depiction of the young emperor - and a not everyday depiction on the reverse.

None of you happen to have this coin in your collection? I have just done some research. In the process I discovered that a copy was auctioned at Roma in 2020 for around 5,000 British pounds.

https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com#/de/single/l31840680 

That would be a nice Christmas present.... 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

image.jpeg.643130049bdc2c23a440ccca6694e5b8.jpeg

CAPPADOCIA. Caesaraea-Eusebia. Tranquillina, Augusta, 241-244. Diassarion (Bronze, 27 mm, 9.46 g), RY 6 of Gordian III = 242/3. CA TPANKYΛΛINA AY Diademed and draped bust of Tranquillina to right; to right, countermark: radiate head of Helios to right within round incuse. Rev. MHTPO KAIC B N / ЄT ς Mount Argaios set upon garlanded altar. Henseler 918c. Sydenham 617a.

A Tranquillina also found its way to me this evening. Actually, it was clear that the lady is given further. But somehow - I find the coin then but quite nice. With the countermark. With 27mm also nice big. Crap. Keep or not is the question… 😄 

• Like 8

image.png.dc5d79dd7c6512b57baa2a93cacd4d20.png

MACEDON. Pella. Gordian III, 238-244. (Bronze, 24 mm, 9.11 g, 6 h). IMP C M ANT GORDIANVS Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III to right, seen from behind. Rev. COL IVL AVS PELLA Pan seated left with his right arm over head and his left elbow resting on his syrinx. SNG ANS 639

image.png.262f4e9e8a9c5440fa88c5d48043150a.png

MACEDON. Pella. Gordian III, 238-244. (Bronze, 25 mm, 9.55 g, 12 h). IMP C M ANT GORDIANVS AVG Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Gordian to right. Rev. COL IVL AVG PELLA Tyche seated left on throne. Varbanov 3750 var. (throne type).

Today two Macedonian province bronzes from Pella of Gordianus III made it to me.
I look forward to seeing the two specimens when they arrive at my home.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.77e1181ba53b5a42814cab7185bdafa9.jpeg

Ancient Roman Empire, Gordian III (A.D. 238-244) c.A.D. 243-244 AR Antoninianus Rome Mint NGC AU; Obv: Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust of Gordian III right / IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; Reverse: Victory, winged, draped, standing left, leaning on shield, and holding palm in left hand; under shield, seated captive / VICTORIA AETERNA

Yesterday I won a "Victoria Aeterna" Antoninus of Gordianus III. Since the type is not offered so often, I was very pleased to have won the bid.

• Like 8

This seems the place to drop in our new Gordies (especially for @Prieure de Sion... you are really goin' to town on them! 😁) so I thought I'd post this new portrait.  I ended up paying more than was reasonable given its tech specs just because I "needed" this super-scared lil' Gordie face:

image.jpeg.0d33290d072a250f06210545fc622a38.jpeg

So cute! I expect that's exactly what he looked like when he was told he'd have to travel east and face the Sassanids. "Who, me?!?" 😆

The whole coin:

image.jpeg.486bf868f4fa9d99e687c134d6bb07c6.jpeg

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.bf60fc9ea2761ebb30dd75224ceb0347.png

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III, Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 238/239 AD, Material: Silver, Diameter: 23mm, Weight: 4.3g, Mint: Rome, Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 2, Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus, Reverse: Jupiter, nude except for cloak on shoulders, standing front, head left, holding vertical sceptre in left hand and thunderbolt in right hand over Gordian III, togate, standing left and raising right hand. The Inscription reads: IOVI CONSERVATORI for Jovi Conservatori (to Jupiter the Protector).

I have received this RIC 2 Gordianus. This is a very interesting coin:
Rome, 2nd officina. 1st emission, June - end December AD 238

It is one of the first coins with the rare "IMP CAES" legend. The illustration on the reverse also matches this. Jupiter (the protector) holds his hand protectively over the young Gordianus Caesar. This wish was also urgently needed - this coinage reflects the chaotic year 238. The victory over Maximinus Thrax, the murder of Balbinus and Pupienus - all hopes and fears were directed at the young Gordianus. Divine protection was urgently needed!

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Mind blown 1

I see I didn't post here my two GIII syrian tets 

663b27ddbbf24a9a83db7ba37379cd06.jpg

Gordien III (29/07/238-25/02/244) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Antioche, 240
ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, Buste lauré, drapé et cuirassé à droite, vu par l'arrière
ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞΟCΚΙΑC, Aigle de face, ailes déployées, la queue à gauche, la tête à gauche et tenant une couronne dans son bec. A l'exergue SC

12.38 gr, 25 mm
Ref : Prieur # 282_281, McAlee #860

d3f51d3440ee49718b3b7b525404fe5f.jpg

Gordien III (29/07/238-25/02/244) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Antioche, 242
ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ, Buste radié, drapé et cuirassé à gauche, vu par l'avant, les deux ptéryges visibles
ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ YΠATO B, Aigle de face, ailes déployées, la queue à gauche, la tête à gauche et tenant une couronne dans son bec. Entre ses pattes, un bélier courant à gauche, tête à droite, sous un croissant de lune

29 mm - 13,24 gr, 
Ref : Prieur # 298, McAlee # 881

Q

• Like 6
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.e5be49c5eb7c6557499b7b88bd8661a4.png

Gordian III., 238 - 244 n. Chr. Antoninian ø 21mm (4,06g). 238 - 239 n. Chr. Mzst. Antiochia. Vs.: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, drapierte Panzerbüste mit Strahlenkrone n. r. Rs.: LIBERALI-TAS AV-G, Libertas steht mit Pileus u. Stab n. l. RIC 187b; C. 126.

image.png.7d3b49c2442b1ec03ee51575ef7be768.png

Gordian III., 238 - 244 n. Chr. Antoninian ø 21mm (4,17g). 239 - 240 n. Chr. Mzst. Antiochia. Vs.: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, drapierte Panzerbüste mit Strahlenkrone n. r. Rs.: AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas mit Waage u. Füllhorn. RIC 177a; C. 17. ss-vz.

I got my two desired coins today at Gorny & Mosch - two Gordianus Antoniniane from Antioch. I especially like the portrayal of the portrait on the second one. A typical Antioch head. Very beautiful - for my eyes.

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1