Aren't we pretending he doesn't exist?

Sulla80

Great post, @Sulla80, I'm glad it resurfaced!  

I have a coin that involves a similar puzzle, but from the other end of the joint reign, which your post prompted me to investigate further.  This "Pharsanzes" guy is only known from his coins, which are amongst the rarest in the Bosporan series.  Like mine, they're all dated Bosporan year NΦ = 550 = 253/4.  Pharsanzes appears to have been a usurper, possibly of Alan-Sarmatian origin, who brought a coalition of steppe/Gothic armies against the reigning monarch Rhescuporis IV/V (Beydin 2016). This would explain the pattern of coin finds (predominating in Chernyakhov i.e. steppe/Gothic areas) as well as the archaeological record of barbarian incursions.  As the fabric of the coins seems identical to those of Rhescuporis IV/V, it may be that the usurper took over the (or a?) mint for a short time.

The similar emperor puzzle: there are two varieties, one with a star (MacDonald 627/1) and the other with two pellets, like mine (627/2), but they're usually described as picturing "either Valerian or Gallienus," or else just Valerian because he was the senior ruler.  Both of these symbols also occur on coins of Rhescuporis IV/V but with no apparent correlation with senior/junior partner, so I don't know who my coin depicts.  Here's the coin, which retains a little silvering:

image.jpeg.9f376c80367c6b344b30c33d7d92c9bd.jpeg

I actually like that it's holed, because this bolsters the connection with the Chernyakhov culture, whose warriors often wore medallions of holed Roman coins or Roman imitations.  I like to think that Pharsanzes gave this coin to one of his followers!

As for your puzzle, @Sulla80, I tend to agree with CNG when they say "This coin demonstrates that Valerian I was still being acknowledged as emperor in Bosporus several years after his capture by the Sasanians."  It's actually not clear exactly when Valerian was captured at the Battle of Edessa.  The usual date given is 260, but I believe the sources are pretty sketchy and it may have been in 259.  I remember reading that provincial coinage in his name ended in 258, but Valerian's Imperial coinage continued into 260, also tetradrachms at Alexandria (to year 7, late 259/60).  So there was maybe already a precedent for issuing coins in Valerian's name while he was in captivity. Which kind of makes sense... we know it didn't happen, but presumably Gallienus would have harboured hopes of rescuing his father?

Very cool that your coin (which I think would be the last for Valerian?) may provide some evidence for that he didn't die in 260 or 61!  Apparently some Persian sources indicate Valerian and bits of his army served Shapur doing construction work further east in the Sasanian empire.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Severus Alexandera fabulous and relevant coin of "Pharsanzes" - with your note, I fully agree with you that the hole makes it more interesting - the star vs. two pellets is curious too - I find another stater from Bosporos with two pellets (Sauromates III and Severus Alexander).  My favorite clues on date for Valerian's capture are the Roman Egyptian tetradrachm's of Quietus and Macrianus - who with their father fought under Valerian against Shapur.  These appear in RY 8 : and Gallienus minting again in late RY 8.  (Notes and photos of the RY 8 coins are here: Gallienus RY 8).

I am pretty sure no other coins are issued this late for Valerian.  I like the thought that Valerian might be still alive in 263/4 and recognized in the Bosporus -  I get stuck on why only on these coins? Anyway you look at it - both our coins are fun ancients...

image.png.40caedfa6b3d488a10fd65211ea3d7a5.png

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 11:10 PM, Severus Alexander said:

Great post, @Sulla80, I'm glad it resurfaced!  

I have a coin that involves a similar puzzle, but from the other end of the joint reign, which your post prompted me to investigate further.  This "Pharsanzes" guy is only known from his coins, which are amongst the rarest in the Bosporan series.  Like mine, they're all dated Bosporan year NΦ = 550 = 253/4.  Pharsanzes appears to have been a usurper, possibly of Alan-Sarmatian origin, who brought a coalition of steppe/Gothic armies against the reigning monarch Rhescuporis IV/V (Beydin 2016). This would explain the pattern of coin finds (predominating in Chernyakhov i.e. steppe/Gothic areas) as well as the archaeological record of barbarian incursions.  As the fabric of the coins seems identical to those of Rhescuporis IV/V, it may be that the usurper took over the (or a?) mint for a short time.

The similar emperor puzzle: there are two varieties, one with a star (MacDonald 627/1) and the other with two pellets, like mine (627/2), but they're usually described as picturing "either Valerian or Gallienus," or else just Valerian because he was the senior ruler.  Both of these symbols also occur on coins of Rhescuporis IV/V but with no apparent correlation with senior/junior partner, so I don't know who my coin depicts.  Here's the coin, which retains a little silvering:

image.jpeg.9f376c80367c6b344b30c33d7d92c9bd.jpeg

I actually like that it's holed, because this bolsters the connection with the Chernyakhov culture, whose warriors often wore medallions of holed Roman coins or Roman imitations.  I like to think that Pharsanzes gave this coin to one of his followers!

As for your puzzle, @Sulla80, I tend to agree with CNG when they say "This coin demonstrates that Valerian I was still being acknowledged as emperor in Bosporus several years after his capture by the Sasanians."  It's actually not clear exactly when Valerian was captured at the Battle of Edessa.  The usual date given is 260, but I believe the sources are pretty sketchy and it may have been in 259.  I remember reading that provincial coinage in his name ended in 258, but Valerian's Imperial coinage continued into 260, also tetradrachms at Alexandria (to year 7, late 259/60).  So there was maybe already a precedent for issuing coins in Valerian's name while he was in captivity. Which kind of makes sense... we know it didn't happen, but presumably Gallienus would have harboured hopes of rescuing his father?

Very cool that your coin (which I think would be the last for Valerian?) may provide some evidence for that he didn't die in 260 or 61!  Apparently some Persian sources indicate Valerian and bits of his army served Shapur doing construction work further east in the Sasanian empire.

Sometimes a numisforum post prompts a purchase, thanks @Severus Alexander!  I was pleased to acquire a Pharsanzes stater from a recent Leu Auction:

00994q00.jpg

these two articles both interesting for more info (the second one fairly readable in Google translated form).

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/276513411.pdf
https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/k-voprosu-ob-obstoyatelstvah-prihoda-k-vlasti-na-bospore-tsarya-farsanza/viewer

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

I saw that coin and am so glad you got it, @Sulla80!  Also, thanks for those further references... the naval connection is very interesting!

BTW, you might try www.deepl.com for translation, rather than google.  I've found its translations are generally better.

Thanks for the link to deepl - a new translator for me and my first usage proved very promising!

• Like 1