Reading an Abbasid Dirham

Sulla80

As an exercise in getting comfortable with seeing words and letters on Abbasid dirhams, I put together this animation to show the elements of the obverse and reverse legends - thought others might enjoy (and any feedback welcome too). The word "المشركون" (al-mushrikūn)" translated here as "polytheists" needs a bit of explanation. The polytheists are those who associate partners with God. It's derived from the root ش ر ك (sh-r-k), which relates to the concept of sharing or associating others in a domain where exclusivity is expected, such as in the worship of a monotheistic deity.

ObvAbbasidDirham192.gif.49f5e44f2e030c58dbb52cc4c4e07921.gif

RevAbbasidDirham192..gif.7f3f1b551ef5915381fc596b13798d04.gif

Abbasids, time of al-Rashid, AR Dirham (2.8g, 21mm), Madinat al-Salam mint (Baghdad), AH 192 = AD 808.

Obv: Kalima in three lines across field; date formula around

Rev: Continuation of kalima in three lines across field; Qur'an IX, 33 in outer margin.

Ref: Album 219.2

Share Abbasid dirhams, other coins and history of this time period (AH 2nd Century or AD 9th Century) or anything else that you find interesting or entertaining.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 2
  • Clap 1

Nice. Very helpful. These are a lot less frightening to ID when you know which bit of the coin says what.

I have the same coin.

Dirham from the time of Harun al-Rashid, AH190/AD805-6
image.png.7b38d39f59e458d0b611a34c712de7fb.png
Madinat al-Salam, Abbasid Caliphate. Silver, 21mm, 2.99g. There is no God but / God alone / He has no equal; in the name of Allah, this dirham was struck at Madinat al-Salam year ninety and one hundred. Muhammad / is the Messenger / of God; Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, he was sent with guidance and the religion of truth to proclaim it over all religion even if the polytheists detest it (SICA III, 1698).

• Like 10
  • Smile 1

Those are really nice and useful graphics @Sulla80 - I'm guessing they are animated .gifs?

I took two years of standard Arabic in college, but that didn't necessarily help me read old Arabic coins, though it definitely gave me a head start. This book really helped me make some progress in all types of Arabic coins. It even includes a short Arabic lesson at the beginning.

51kX8eAPRuL.jpg.ec7e014dec843dbcbf373fe52bae5d7c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ewomack said:

Those are really nice and useful graphics @Sulla80 - I'm guessing they are animated .gifs?

I took two years of standard Arabic in college, but that didn't necessarily help me read old Arabic coins, though it definitely gave me a head start. This book really helped me make some progress in all types of Arabic coins. It even includes a short Arabic lesson at the beginning.

51kX8eAPRuL.jpg.ec7e014dec843dbcbf373fe52bae5d7c.jpg

Thanks @ewomack - yes, animated gifs - really just concatenated jpg images plugged into https://ezgif.com/maker. I have had a copy of this (paper and eBook) for a while and agree it is very useful (especially when I put the effort in to do more than look at the pictures). 🙂

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3

Nice coin and truly informative presentation!

I have a dirham struck fo Harun al-Rashid at the Al-Abbasiyah mint in modern Tunisia. The lettering on this one is too blurred for me to really deciper the mint and date. Yet, I bought it from Allen Berman and it came with a note that said it had been attributed by Stephen Album, so I trust the seller's attribution:

OrientMAAbbasidenHarunAl-Rashiddirham171AHAl-Abbasiyah.png.ffbf15661b7eb1ebefe2d483e8025bcb.png

Abbasid Caliphate, under Harun al-Rashid, citing governor Yazid, AR dirham, 787/8 AD (171 AH), Al-Abbasiyah mint. Obv: beginning of kalima (“There is no deity except / (the one) God alone / He has no equal”), mint-date-formula around. Rev: second part of kalima (“Muhammad / is the Messenger / of God); name “Yazid” in lower field; around, Surah IX, 33 (“Muhammad is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the true religion to reveal it to all religions even if the polytheists abhor it”). 23.5mm; 2.94g. Ref: Album 219.2. Ex Allen G. Berman.

• Like 6