Frogs, Amphibians, and Aquatic Critters!

Alegandron

2 minutes ago, airhead1983 said:

Here is my brother’s frog.

71103387-AC10-485D-A3F3-BE9EEF4F35D6.jpeg.97fad25e0d432247df0524ce7670f41c.jpeg

I used to have a pair of fire belly toads that lived in my brother’s room because I already had 4 lizards in mine.  He would complain about the croaking at night.  He also wanted to name them, one was Ben and the other was Dover.  Despite his complaints, I’m sure he became attached to them, even though he would never admit it.

Erin

Awesome Fire Toad Frog coin Erin! 😄 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sicily, Akragas. Circa 480/478-470 BC. AR Didrachm (20mm, 8.25g, 6h). Obv: AK-RA; Eagle with closed wings standing left. Rev: CA-Σ: Crab, small male head facing right below, all in shallow incuse circle. Rev: SNG ANS 959 (same dies); SNG Cop 37 var. (eagle right), Jenkins Gela Group IV; HGC 2, 97. Fine/Good Fine, old collection toning, well centered. Ex John Brown Collection. Ex CCE December 1984, Lot 1, ticket included. Ex Warren Esty, June 2019.

image.jpeg.42e42a3feb37de42aae2b3788c96bc00.jpeg

• Like 7

• Benefactor

I went through my ol' stuff and couldn't find a single fricken frog! ... sigh

Oh, but I did decide to toss-in a crap-load of miscellaneous creatures and I'll cook-up a Jambalaya for you coin-folks (sound like a plan?)

Clams, scallops, mini-dolphin bits, an ant, a turtle, a tortoise, a couple of scorpions, a rat, a couple of bees, some shrimp, a lizard, a tunny-fish, a rabbit, some crabs, an octopus ... and even a dash of horse-hoof!!

Soup is on!!  => YUMMY-YUMMY!! 

Aeolis Gryneion.jpg

Anonymous Aes Graves Sextans.jpg

Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Neptune BI Tet.jpg

Asia Minor Ionia Ant.jpg

Caria Idyma Tortoise.jpg

Cypprus Capricorn & Scorpion.jpg

Gens Quictia Rat.jpg

Ionia Ephesos AR Drachm bee.jpg

Ionia Ephesos Tetartemorion.jpg

Ionia Shrimp.jpg

Islands Off Thrace Thasos Hemiobol.jpg

Kings of Commagene.jpg

Macedon Eion a.jpg

Mysia Kyzikos Tunny Fish.JPG

Sicily Akragas AE Counterstamp.jpg

Sicily Akragas Onkia cool eagle.jpg

Sicily Akragas.jpg

syracuse octopusx.jpg

Thessaly Pherai Horse Hoof.jpg

turtle.jpg

=> Ancient Jambalaya, Baby!!

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

here's a Constantine with a hippocamp on his shield

Siscia_VLPP_56_hippocamp.jpg.d5897cb27b90615a27e282851b2e1845.jpg

Constantine I
A.D. 318-19
18mm 2.4gm
IMP CONSTANT-INVS AVG; high crested helmet, cuir., spear across r. shoulder, shield on left arm inscribed with hippocamp.
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP; two Victories stg., facing one another, together holding wreath [shield] inscribed VOT PR on altar.
in ex. ΔSIS
RIC VII Siscia 56

• Like 7

• Benefactor

I don't have much to contribute, since I've already posted my dolphin coins a number of times elsewhere, as well as a few other coins with ordinary fishes.

But how about this crayfish on the reverse of a Gorgoneion drachm from Apollonia Pontika:

Thrace, Apollonia Pontika [now Sozopol, Bulgaria], AR Drachm, ca. 450-500 BCE. Obv. Upright anchor with large flukes and curved stock; “A” [for Apollonia] to left and crayfish to right between flukes and stock  / Rev. Facing Gorgoneion (Medusa), wavy hair parted in middle, 16 thin, open-mouthed snakes around head as additional hair or crown, puffy cheeks, mouth open, tongue protruding (but not extending below chin), all within shallow incuse. Goldsborough Type 3 [Goldsborough, Reid, Apollonia Pontika Drachms (see https://web.archive.org/web/20141115000124/http://medusacoins.reidgold.com/apollonia.html), Catalogue of Types]; Seaby 1655 var. (crayfish to left, A to right) [Sear, David, Greek Coins and their Values, Vol. 1: Europe (Seaby 1978); Topalov 41-42 [Topalov, Stavri, Apollonia Pontika: Contribution to the Study of the Coin Minting of the City 6th - 1st c. B.C., Catalogue of Apollonia Coins, 7th-1st c. B.C. (Sofia, 2007) (English Translation, Kindle edition)]; BMC 15 Mysia 8-10 [Wroth, Warwick, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 15, Mysia (London, 1892) at pp. 8-9]; SNG.BM.159; see also id. Nos. 154-158  [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Great Britain, Volume IX, British Museum, Part 1: The Black Sea (London, 1993)] [online ID SNGuk_0901_0159 ]. 14 mm., 2.96 g., 3 h.

image.jpeg.7a9e266178f4bfb67d32bb4d7f4c3413.jpeg

And this hippocamp from the Gallienus Zoo Series:

image.jpeg.e97090689cf2fbc91bdef341c7496679.jpeg

And these capricorns from Augustus & Julia Paula:

image.jpeg.c4b3e2067879263bd42c88670c4fe79d.jpeg

image.jpeg.c92d28312ad327849b68eccfda0d58b9.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8