I_v_a_n's 2023 Top 1

I_v_a_n

For a long time any stater from Kyrene was at the top of my wish list. This year a dream was realised and it's my absolute favorite from 2023 year purchases, that is why only top 1 makes sence for me.

KYRENAICA, Kyrene. temp. Ophellas. Ptolemaic governor, first reign, circa 322-313 BC. AV Stater. Chairios, magistrate. Nike driving quadriga right; sun above / Zeus-Ammon seated left, holding eagle; thymiaterion to left; XAIPIOΣ (retrograde) to right. Naville 81 (same dies); SNG Copenhagen 1209; BMC 115 (same dies); Pozzi 3268 (same dies).

Kyrene_Stater.jpg.fabd5d42fe06b56873197e365a190a4b.jpg

• Like 26
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 19

19 hours ago, I_v_a_n said:

For a long time any stater from Kyrene was at the top of my wish list. This year a dream was realised and it's my absolute favorite from 2023 year purchases, that is why only top 1 makes sence for me.

KYRENAICA, Kyrene. temp. Ophellas. Ptolemaic governor, first reign, circa 322-313 BC. AV Stater. Chairios, magistrate. Nike driving quadriga right; sun above / Zeus-Ammon seated left, holding eagle; thymiaterion to left; XAIPIOΣ (retrograde) to right. Naville 81 (same dies); SNG Copenhagen 1209; BMC 115 (same dies); Pozzi 3268 (same dies).

Kyrene_Stater.jpg.fabd5d42fe06b56873197e365a190a4b.jpg

This coin has a lovely composition on both sides 🤩!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:02 PM, Curtisimo said:

This coin is absolutely beautiful @I_v_a_n! A top shelf coin for sure.

Just for fun, you should post some of your runners-up to this thread. 🙂 I always enjoy looking at everyone’s top coins this time of year.

At the end of the year I have an addition to my now top 2! 😊

Thank you again @Curtisimo for your help with a provenance confirmation, it was a great pleasure and surprise for me.

AureusNero.jpg.793d8e2ac9ad7920448b987e7aa3b0f3.jpg

Nero 54-68.
Aureus 64/68 -Rom-. NERO CAESAR. Belorbeerte Büste nach rechts / AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS. Der Kaiser in Toga mit Strahlenkrone frontal stehend, in den Händen Zweig und Victoria auf Globus. RIC 46, Calicó 402. 7,32 g selten, Avers leicht dezentriert, winziger Randfehler, gutes sehr schön.

Erworben aus Lagerliste 380 der M&M Basel im July 1976, Nr. 23.

The reverse depicts Nero’s Colossus, a roughly 120-foot tall bronze statue of the emperor as Sol that was created by Zenodorus for the vestibule of the Domus Aurea, or Golden House, the massive palace constructed by Nero after the fire of AD 64. Its memory was retained in the popular name of the amphitheater constructed by the Flavians close to the site – the Colosseum.

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

3 hours ago, I_v_a_n said:

At the end of the year I have an addition to my now top 2! 😊

Thank you again @Curtisimo for your help with a provenance confirmation, it was a great pleasure and surprise for me.

AureusNero.jpg.793d8e2ac9ad7920448b987e7aa3b0f3.jpg

Nero 54-68.
Aureus 64/68 -Rom-. NERO CAESAR. Belorbeerte Büste nach rechts / AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS. Der Kaiser in Toga mit Strahlenkrone frontal stehend, in den Händen Zweig und Victoria auf Globus. RIC 46, Calicó 402. 7,32 g selten, Avers leicht dezentriert, winziger Randfehler, gutes sehr schön.

Erworben aus Lagerliste 380 der M&M Basel im July 1976, Nr. 23.

The reverse depicts Nero’s Colossus, a roughly 120-foot tall bronze statue of the emperor as Sol that was created by Zenodorus for the vestibule of the Domus Aurea, or Golden House, the massive palace constructed by Nero after the fire of AD 64. Its memory was retained in the popular name of the amphitheater constructed by the Flavians close to the site – the Colosseum.

Splendid example of the type! Well done @I_v_a_n and @Curtisimo

• Like 2