Post your royal couples

Fortuna Redux

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome during the reign of MARCUS AURELIUS in 166 A.D. Obv. M.ANTONINVS.AVG.ARM.PARTH.MAX.: laur. head r. Rev. TR.P.XX.IMP.IIII.COS.III./PAX.: Pax standing l., holding branch and caduceus.  RSCII #435 pg.208. RICIII #159 pg.225. DVM #69.

Silver coin (AR Denarius) minted at Rome for FAUSTINA Jr., Wife of MARCUS AURELIUS, between 161 - 175 A.D. Obv. FAVSTINA.AVGVSTA.: dr. bust r. with double circlet of pearls around head.  Rev. FECVNDITAS.: Fecunditas standing front, head r., holding sceptre and child. RCS #1495. RSCII #99c pg.223. RICIII #M677 pg.269. DVM #13.

CEA-159 OBV.jpg

CEA-159 REV.jpg

CEW-153 OBV.jpg

CEW-153 REV.jpg

• Like 10

On 6/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, Fortuna Redux said:

to celebrate the reunion of my Faustina I and Antoninus Pius, share any royal couples that you own!

Hi All,

Two for the price of one!

Ptolemy II Philadelphos (285-246 BCE), Alexandria. ΑΔΕΛΦΩΝ ΘΕΩΝ unmarked issue. Early stages of currency reform - from before Aug 272 BCE.

Au Pentekontadrachmon = 50 DRACHMAS = 1/2 MINA
Size: 20 mm
Weight: 13.92 g
Dies: A36/R97
Die Axis: 00:00

image.png.6d0f7f0a04f9e3b0fa45e5fb4e14b8b8.png

Obv: Ptolemy II and Arsinoe II jugate busts, diademmed and draped, Gallic shield with thundebolt device in left field behind Ptolemy's head. Dotted border. ΑΔΕΛΦΩΝ above heads. Dotted border.
Rev: Ptolemy I and Berenike I jugate busts, diademed and draped, Dotted border. ΘΕΩΝ above heads. Dotted border.

Refs: Lorber: CPE-314, Svoronos-604, pl xiv, 18-21 [47 listed, Vienna]; SNG Copenhagen 133; Sear-7791; BMC 06.040, #004-005; Broucheion Collection P-1996-12-08.001 .

Notes: For information on the die study see Olivier & Lorber (2013) at Academia.edu. The  Pentekontadrachma cover coins 194-384 (dies A7-A49). CPE-314 is known with reverse die link to CPE 311. Cover coin for Palladium Numismatics sale catalog ca Dec 1996 but the coin was bought at the NYINC Show on 8 Dec 1996.

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 10

Okay, this one is highly speculative, and there’s no evidence that one half of the couple ever existed: Vergingetorix and his wife, Ms. Vercingetorix (AKA the "Dreadlocked Gallia").

But it's just my theory. I'm not betting my life, or swearing in a court of law, or even lecturing to bored undergrads pretending to take notes while they're actually watching the Tik Tok or making Snapchats. Call it fan fiction if you must.

I am among those who believe the Hostilius Saserna and Julius Caesar Denarii (probably/maybe) depicted Vercingetorix (the Gallic warlord/leader/French national hero who was brought back to Rome, held for 2-3 years, and probably killed during Caesar’s Triumph).

CONSERVATORI-Julius-Caesar-Captives-Denarius.png 

Description here

Julius Caesar’s pair of “trophy captives” also appear to have been portrayed on two denarii by Hostilius Saserna (struck ~2 years earlier), illustrated below.

As many have commented, the male head looks like a portrait of a real person. I accept it’s highly possible that Vercingetorix is shown. (Showing actual conquered leaders on coins was a tradition from Republican coins [e.g. Perseus & sons on the Aemilius Lepidus denarius].)

On the female type, the “dreadlocked Gallia,” there are two distinct varieties of dies. (It boggles my mind that no one comments more on the differences.) One type is a very idealized image, clearly not a portrait, but the personification Gallia (and/or Gallia-as-Pallor, but Pallor and Pavor are another topic.) Mine is the other kind.

The other set of dies – only one of them is really done well – clearly looks like portraiture. It’s been hypothesized that this also is a real person, possibly a companion of Vercingetorix during captivity. There is very little historical record of Vercingetorix’s life or captivity, and nothing, as far as I know, about whether he ever had a wife.

So it’s just my suspicion.

May I present to you…

Vercingetorix and his wife, the Dreadlocked Gallia, looking every bit the proud and fierce Gauls:

CONSERVATORI-Hostilius-Saserna-AR-Denarius-Vercingetorix.png

Description here

CONSERVATORI-Hostilius-Saserna-AR-Denarius-Dreadlocked-Gallia.png

Description here

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 7

20211114_DOMITIAN-WHITE.jpg.3abc70c8e31c3e81a3cbcde6a01304d6.jpg

Domitian. 81-96 AR Denarius (3.17 gm, 18mm). Rome mint. Struck 81 AD.
Obv.: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right.
Rev.: TR P COS VII DES VIII P P, tripod surmounted by a dolphin right. RICII# 74.
These early type portraits are my favourite and coupled with an interesting reverse, the tripod and dolphin, being symbols of Apollo.

669907141_normal_domitia(1).jpg.d710123bba5855af4dd155fdca8dbb82.jpg

Phrygia, Eumeneia (near Civril, Turkey). Domitia, 81-96 AD. Bronze AE 15mm (2.47 gm).
Obv.: ΔOMITIA CEBACTH, Draped bust right. Hair rolled in front and in que behind,
Rev.: ΚΛ• ΤEΡEΝΤΥΛΛΑ ΑΡΧΙE /EΥΜE-ΝE-ΩΝ, Kybele enthroned to left, Patera in extended right hand, resting left forearm and hand on Tympanum (drum) at near side
RPC II 1388. Rare. gVF.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Curtis JJ said:

Okay, this one is highly speculative, and there’s no evidence that one half of the couple ever existed: Vergingetorix and his wife, Ms. Vercingetorix (AKA the "Dreadlocked Gallia").

But it's just my theory. I'm not betting my life, or swearing in a court of law, or even lecturing to bored undergrads pretending to take notes while they're actually watching the Tik Tok or making Snapchats. Call it fan fiction if you must.

I am among those who believe the Hostilius Saserna and Julius Caesar Denarii (probably/maybe) depicted Vercingetorix (the Gallic warlord/leader/French national hero who was brought back to Rome, held for 2-3 years, and probably killed during Caesar’s Triumph).

CONSERVATORI-Julius-Caesar-Captives-Denarius.png 

Description here

Julius Caesar’s pair of “trophy captives” also appear to have been portrayed on two denarii by Hostilius Saserna (struck ~2 years earlier), illustrated below.

As many have commented, the male head looks like a portrait of a real person. I accept it’s highly possible that Vercingetorix is shown. (Showing actual conquered leaders on coins was a tradition from Republican coins [e.g. Perseus & sons on the Aemilius Lepidus denarius].)

On the female type, the “dreadlocked Gallia,” there are two distinct varieties of dies. (It boggles my mind that no one comments more on the differences.) One type is a very idealized image, clearly not a portrait, but the personification Gallia (and/or Gallia-as-Pallor, but Pallor and Pavor are another topic.) Mine is the other kind.

The other set of dies – only one of them is really done well – clearly looks like portraiture. It’s been hypothesized that this also is a real person, possibly a companion of Vercingetorix during captivity. There is very little historical record of Vercingetorix’s life or captivity, and nothing, as far as I know, about whether he ever had a wife.

So it’s just my suspicion.

May I present to you…

Vercingetorix and his wife, the Dreadlocked Gallia, looking every bit the proud and fierce Gauls:

CONSERVATORI-Hostilius-Saserna-AR-Denarius-Vercingetorix.png

Description here

CONSERVATORI-Hostilius-Saserna-AR-Denarius-Dreadlocked-Gallia.png

Description here

Wow that’s very interesting, I never thought romans would put their captive’s portrait on a coin, not to mention a “barbaric” one

That makes me wonder why romans (republicans of course) were so against having a living man’s face on a coin, but they are fine with coins showing their captive’s face

• Cool Think 1

The couple on the two faces of the same coin

4c6b5056964d4a8a9168526c11becde3.jpg

Aurelian and Severina, Double sestertius - Rome mint AD 274-275
IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right
SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust of Severina right, on crescent
11.18 gr
Ref : Cohen # 1, RIC # 2, RCV # 11696

Q

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

Albert Grey, Governor General of Canada (Fun-Fact => from Earl Grey tea)

=> he is the Grey associated with The Grey Cup (CFL => Canadian Football Championship) ... kinda cool fella

zzzzz8.jpg

... oh, and his wife is Alice Wolford (also kinda cool)

Cheers

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4
  • Cool Think 1

Gordianus III with Tranquillina

normal_Gordianus_III_4.jpg.c6f98ebf51fad77e92fc13a24f866e6e.jpg

Gordianus III with Tranquillina
Moesia Inferior, Markianopolis
AD 238-244
Obv.: AVT K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC AVΓ CE TPANKIΛΛEINA, Confronted draped busts of Gordian III and Tranquillina.
Rev.: YΠ TEPTYΛΛIANOY MAPKIANOΠIΛITΩN, Temple with cult statue of Tyche; E in left field.
AE, 11.75g, 26.6mm
Ref.: Varbanov 2059

• Like 5

Livia, Augustus and daughter Julia from Pergamon

normal_Livia_Julia_R694_Pergamon_fac.jpg.2514ccfff6111073aee29502e639099c.jpg

Livia & Julia (Wife and Daughter of Augustus)
circa 10-2 BC
Charinos Grammateus, magistrate.
Obv: ΛΙΒΙΑΝ ΗΡΑΝ ΧΑΡΙΝΟΣ. Draped bust of Livia right.
Rev: ΟΥΛΙΑΝ ΑΦΡΟΔΙΤΗΝ. Draped bust of Julia (as Aphrodite) right.
Æ, 18 mm, 3.38 g
Ref.: RPC 2359

normal_Augustus_03.jpg.a29d859dfc0f5dcd6da088c90f65da47.jpg

Augustus
Pergamon, Mysia
Ae 20
Obv: [ΣEBAΣTOI] KAIΣAΡI BOYΛAIΩI, Bare head right.
Rev: A ΦOΥ[ΡIOΣ IEΡEΥΣ ΓΥMN]AΣIAΡΧΩN ΠEΡΓAMHNΩN, Basin.
AE, 3.97g, 19.9mm
Ref.: RPC I 2360

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Completed a "couples" pair that I could not resist despite the heavy wear.

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius, AD 161-169. Æ Drachm (31mm, 16.33g, 12h). Dated RY 6 (AD 165/166). Obv: Μ ΑVΡΗΛΙΟС [ΑΝΤΩΝΙΝΟ]С СЄ; Laureate bust left, with traces of drapery. Rev: Two Canopic jars, with heads of Osiris and Isis, standing vis-à-vis on bases; facing each other; L-ς (date) across field, between bodies, crescent (barely visible). Ref: Dattari (Savio) 3437; Geissen 2042; K&G 37.272; Emmett 2100.6 (R1); RPC IV.4 14109 (temporary) (same dies as 14109.5, which is referenced as the Geissen 2042 example in Cologne). Nice Fine, attractive chocolate brown surfaces. Scarce, twelve in RPC online, one on CoinArchives.

Egypt, Alexandria. Faustina Junior, Augusta, AD 147-175. Æ Drachm (32mm, 28.51g, 12h). Dated RY 6 of Marcus Aurelius (AD 165/166). Obv: Draped bust right. Rev: Two canopic jars of Osiris, both crowned with different headdresses and decorations on the jars; crescent moon between them; L ς (date) across the field. Köln –; Dattari (Savio) 3621; K&G 38.23; Emmett 2289.6 (R5) = Dattari 3621; RPC online 14569 (temp, 6 examples); Kampmann/Ganschow 38.23. Good to Very Good, dark brown patina. Extremely rare, two in Coin Archives, this coin and one other in slightly better condition. Acquired in September 1962. Ex Kunker e78 (18 July 2023), Lot 5334.

Note from the CNG auction: A wonderful type that depicts two canopic jars. Canopic jars were used to store the organs that were removed from the body during the mummification process, specifically the lungs, liver, stomach, and intestines. The term "canopic" to describe such vessels is a misnomer, being derived from the port city of Canopus, where the god Osiris was worshipped in the form of a jar.

image.jpeg.2a2b6357cf56ebd3498b0b3d6760895c.jpegimage.jpeg.78238466d35df1fed9680592576a24c9.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

I am note sure this coin qualifies but here goes....

Ar Tetradrachm of Cleopatra Thea jugate with Antiochos VIII right Rv Zeus Nikephoros seated left holding Nike in outstretched right hand. Ptolemais Ace 125 BC  SC 2271 HGC 1182 g 16.51 grms 30 mm Phot by W. Hansen 

SKcleoantVIII-1.jpeg.6a4451e370fb6f1c42d9c2e49bdc8e8c.jpeg

This coin is unusual in that it places Thea in the dominate position. Her son Gryphus is clearly inferior. At this point in time Thea had arranged to have her husband Demetrios II executed (no time for losers) and then shortly after had her eldest son by him poisoned (mommy dearest) Gryphus managed to survive his mother apparently by forcing her to drink the poison she had prepared for him. 

• Like 7