Jump to content

Around the World ...where the way point lands only you know.... ??? Lets see your world...eh...


Paddy54
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I will start with my home town...not actually a coin or token ....but to this home boy...Baltimore Maryland is from where my Irish/Welsh roots settled after leaving the old country. 

Two pieces of exonuma that I was fortunate enough to find... post your way points....on the globe.. tell us about your adventures. 

20220316_135732.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpggreeting from Baltimore Hon... 

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my youth we spent a few Summers far away from the mid- Atlantic area.. up to the Great White North a small town on Lake Huron called Grand Bend... so Canada has always been a very special place... great memories....are never forgotten. 

20211119_204423.jpg

20211119_204436.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about a little Newfoundland Woodie...a very interesting fact the reverse is a native plant of the island.....and its a carnivore  😲 yes it eats insects....  reminds me of Little shop of Horror's !  

20220422_082007.jpg

20220422_082035.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is where you force me to contribute with my Dombes coins 😄

You must be aware I have 300+ of them... be prepared !

D-021-031_SC-c.jpg.b8e1ab9bc72147d55e52bd7fca7b78e0.jpg

Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582), Teston - 1575 - Atelier de Trévoux
LVDOVI . D . MONTISP . D . DOMBAR Buste cuirassé a gauche, + sous le buste
+ DNS . ADIVT . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1574 Ecu de Bourbon couronné, dans le champ deux lambdas couronnés.
Les N sont rétrogrades
9.45 gr
Ref : Divo Dombes # 31, PA # 5113v, Mantellier -

Q

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, what a nice idea! I grew up and currently live in germany, a country with a long history of minting coins! Here is a 2€ coin, from a series that shows a new important german building every year. The series started in the year I was born and I collected every single year up until,2022. Here is the 2017 edition, featuring a roman city gate called Porta Nigra:

20220427_160605.thumb.jpg.b292e76ba6d9a81b75250007ccf31cf7.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Helvius Pertinax said:

Oh, what a nice idea! I grew up and currently live in germany, a country with a long history of minting coins! Here is a 2€ coin, from a series that shows a new important german building every year. The series started in the year I was born and I collected every single year up until,2022. Here is the 2017 edition, featuring a roman city gate called Porta Nigra:

20220427_160605.thumb.jpg.b292e76ba6d9a81b75250007ccf31cf7.jpg

Here are some photos from Trier taken a few years back.

tr1.jpg.badbcce058d4709f0743c0dec7492e2e.jpg

The "Black Gate" is all that remains of the city's Roman wall.

tr2.jpg.9961fa6b9db422e983619d904311ed19.jpg

Architectural styles reveal medieval additions on the left contrasting with the heavy rusticated masonry of the 2nd century Roman structure.

tr2a.jpg.e81a83142c72ef4d776f95c7181e3e65.jpg

The Baroque era reliefs in this gallery reveal another facet of the structure's evolution, it long functioned as a church.

tr3.jpg.af211d303c22d3339fba5f0d9d225579.jpg

Trier boasts one of the oldest intact Imperial Roman basilicas, the Aula Palatina was built during the reign of Constantine.

tr4.thumb.jpg.7882e8c00dc6b06c2818461543c1b152.jpg

Like the Port Nigra, during the middle ages Constantine's audience hall became a church, though it remains one to this day. 

tr5.jpg.15cce5fd61c5651be1ecc0e600bd6cc4.jpg

Part of Trier's Roman bath complex

tr6.jpg.988d669a47533131c1808f99bc17a17f.jpg

Trier's Landesmuseum is rich in mosaics and other artifacts from antiquity.

nummis-constantine.thumb.jpg.3d79262bd0bed23c5a0358e930a9b49c.jpg

My coin from the Trier mint, roughly contemporary with the Aula Palatina.

Constantinian, AE3/4 BI Nummus

Personification of Roma on obverse, She-wolf and twins on reverse.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Etcherdude said:

 

Here are some photos from Trier taken a few years back.

tr1.jpg.badbcce058d4709f0743c0dec7492e2e.jpg

The "Black Gate" is all that remains of the city's Roman wall.

tr2.jpg.9961fa6b9db422e983619d904311ed19.jpg

Architectural styles reveal medieval additions on the left contrasting with the heavy rusticated masonry of the 2nd century Roman structure.

tr2a.jpg.e81a83142c72ef4d776f95c7181e3e65.jpg

The Baroque era reliefs in this gallery reveal another facet of the structure's evolution, it long functioned as a church.

tr3.jpg.af211d303c22d3339fba5f0d9d225579.jpg

Trier boasts one of the oldest intact Imperial Roman basilicas, the Aula Palatina was built during the reign of Constantine.

tr4.thumb.jpg.7882e8c00dc6b06c2818461543c1b152.jpg

Like the Port Nigra, during the middle ages Constantine's audience hall became a church, though it remains one to this day. 

tr5.jpg.15cce5fd61c5651be1ecc0e600bd6cc4.jpg

Part of Trier's Roman bath complex

tr6.jpg.988d669a47533131c1808f99bc17a17f.jpg

Trier's Landesmuseum is rich in mosaics and other artifacts from antiquity.

nummis-constantine.thumb.jpg.3d79262bd0bed23c5a0358e930a9b49c.jpg

My coin from the Trier mint, roughly contemporary with the Aula Palatina.

Constantinian, AE3/4 BI Nummus

Personification of Roma on obverse, She-wolf and twins on reverse.

Thanks for the pictures. My own visit to Trier was at least 7 years ago, I was around 10 years old then, so I cant remember much of it 😂 I remember visiting the Basilica though, and during that visit I also got my first ancient coin that was dug up on an ancient site in Trier. Its a Claudius II, minted in Mediolanum. Ill post pictures of it when I get back home in a few days.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TRIER (really like that city!!!)

image.jpeg.e93d3718c278a577985128fe10d657b9.jpeg

Rome VRBS ROMA commem 330-331 CE Æ reduced centenionalis, 16mm, 2.5g, 12h; Trier mint, CE 330-331 She-wolf RIC VII 529 Left

 

image.jpeg.b8b3762c655460b8a146b5b5e99c8602.jpeg

RI commem AE Follis CONSTAN-TINOPOLIS Victory Prow Shield RIC VII Trier 543 Left

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heading state side this 1917 type l standing Liberty Quarter is another favorite.  I aquired it from a local dealer at the Annapolis show years ago.

Tom  @  LRC little round coins is well known for having  a quality inventory .

downloadfile-56.jpeg

downloadfile-47_1.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know where I'm going to go when the volcano blow...?

With a grease filled die this 1/4 reale .... I Love the die crack or lighting bolt...whichever you prefer... 🤔

 

 

20220306_143044.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This U.S. half dime variety...1834/3 This happens to be a cherry pick of mine.

My collection is made up of quite a few things...but US half dimes are a passion! I have 1829- 1837 bust complete, working on die marriages of the series. Then the seated series 1937- 1873.

Now I'm going to teach You how to cherry pick a rare 1834/3 half dime. You can do this just sitting in your favorite chair...or at a show.

The 1834/3 is a easy pick ...look at my specimen, first notice that the 8 bottom loop is filled just about full.next notice the 3  and look inside in 3 outer loops . See the inverted 3 that is struck opposite the primary 3.

Find these two easy pick up points and Bingo you just picked your 1st Half dime variety. 🤥

1834 3-3 inverted-1.jpg

1834 3-3 inverted.jpg

1834 3 -3 2.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another one of my addictions are Love tokens on Indian Head Cents as the host coin.....pictorial if I can find one that isn't an arm and a leg in price.

I understand that some take issues with defacing a coin. Well I can appreciate that...but to me that term refers to damage, or damaging a coin other than an artistic intent.

The butterfly is on a Liberty Nickel.

fC3uL2ReTZe7UQuv1WQy_20190511_061238.jpg

20191007_205452.jpg

20220209_154013.jpg

C:WINDOWSTempE702 - 20191006_181043.jpg

1876 IHC Love Token.jpg

20191007_205546.jpg

55a815e9-0feb-4b13-9593-3926f00850bf_fullsize.jpg

84c4d4d1-9da3-4dc2-91d2-49af0fa8f246_fullsize.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Paddy54 said:

In my youth we spent a few Summers far away from the mid- Atlantic area.. up to the Great White North a small town on Lake Huron called Grand Bend... so Canada has always been a very special place... great memories....are never forgotten. 

20211119_204423.jpg

20211119_204436.jpg

I live about a 45 minute drive to Grand Bend... wonderful summer memories and still a fun place to visit.

My coins are all well circulated.

Canada1888.jpg

Edited by Constantivs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...