The collection of Eric ten Brink: coins of Hadrian..(Okidoki) 916 coins is up on Leu

Ancient Aussie

It took me a while to scroll through Eric's fantastic collection but well worth it, let me know what you think and if you win any, by the way Okidoki was a champion collector of Hadrian coins on CoinTalk I'm not sure if he is a member of this forum but I wish him the best of luck with his sale.

Hadrian, Cilicia Aegeae, circa 117 AD. AR Tridrachm 9.6 gm, GIC 1218. Toned. Athena stg. holding patera and shield, spear at side, goat at feet to left. Von Aulock 5449.

AA_Tridrachm_3.jpg

Edited by Ancient Aussie
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

I don't remember Okidoki being an active poster anymore at Coin Talk by the time I joined in January 2020, but wow, what an amazing collection! The Roman Alexandrian coins are especially comprehensive. Particularly the Nomes coinage; I've never seen so many of them together in one place.  (Including one with "the oldest historical figure to appear on an ancient coin" -- a type which I happen to have myself, and have posted here several times. Who wants to guess that figure's identity, and which coin it is?)

But this coin may be the prize of his collection, in terms of the most impressive pedigree and highest hammer price. It already has a $1,000 bid, even though the auction is several weeks away and most lots have no bids at all yet.

image.png.01b9242c92f8ae95ffd1e08edab5578b.png

Starting price:
750 CHF
Current bid:
1000 CHF

Bid increment:
100 CHF
Minimum bid:
1100 CHF
Number of bids:
Time left: 25 d 20 h 47 min 59 sec
Closing time: 10-Jul-23, 19:16:00 CEST
Bid now »

All winning bids are subject to an 18.5% buyer's fee.

Hadrian, 117-138. Sestertius (Orichalcum, 33 mm, 27.09 g, 12 h), Rome, circa 129-130. HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian to right, seen from behind. Rev. FELICITATI / AVG COS III / P P / S - C Galley sailing left, with steerman and six rowers; at stern acrostolium flanked by vexilum and aquila, at prow, mast slanted forward and sail. BMC -. Cohen -. RIC pl. 109, 1282 (this coin). Extremely rare. A wonderful, well struck example with a lovely 'Tiber' patina and an exceptional 18th century pedigree. Some corrosion and with a minor surface crack on the obverse, otherwise, good very fine.

From the collection of Eric ten Brink and from the Toliver Besson Collection, Classical Numismatic Group Mail Bid Sale 115, 16 September 2020, 652, previously privately acquired from Jon Jencek on 14 December 2012, ex Goldberg 5.3, 7 June 2000, 3582, from the Earl Fitzwilliam's (1748-1833) Wentworth Estates Company Collection, Christie's, 30 May 1949, 124 (part of), and from the collections of Abbé Visconti, President of the Society of Antiquaries in Rome, acquired circa 1774, and that of the Museo del Padri Corsini, acquired in 1748.
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 6:44 AM, DonnaML said:

I don't remember Okidoki being an active poster anymore at Coin Talk by the time I joined in January 2020, but wow, what an amazing collection! The Roman Alexandrian coins are especially comprehensive. Particularly the Nomes coinage; I've never seen so many of them together in one place.  (Including one with "the oldest historical figure to appear on an ancient coin" -- a type which I happen to have myself, and have posted here several times. Who wants to guess that figure's identity, and which coin it is?)

But this coin may be the prize of his collection, in terms of the most impressive pedigree and highest hammer price. It already has a $1,000 bid, even though the auction is several weeks away and most lots have no bids at all yet.

Starting price:
750 CHF
Current bid:
1000 CHF

Bid increment:
100 CHF
Minimum bid:
1100 CHF
Number of bids:

Bid now »

Hadrian, 117-138. Sestertius (Orichalcum, 33 mm, 27.09 g, 12 h), Rome, circa 129-130. HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS Laureate and draped bust of Hadrian to right, seen from behind. Rev. FELICITATI / AVG COS III / P P / S - C Galley sailing left, with steerman and six rowers; at stern acrostolium flanked by vexilum and aquila, at prow, mast slanted forward and sail. BMC -. Cohen -. RIC pl. 109, 1282 (this coin). Extremely rare. A wonderful, well struck example with a lovely 'Tiber' patina and an exceptional 18th century pedigree. Some corrosion and with a minor surface crack on the obverse, otherwise, good very fine.

From the collection of Eric ten Brink and from the Toliver Besson Collection, Classical Numismatic Group Mail Bid Sale 115, 16 September 2020, 652, previously privately acquired from Jon Jencek on 14 December 2012, ex Goldberg 5.3, 7 June 2000, 3582, from the Earl Fitzwilliam's (1748-1833) Wentworth Estates Company Collection, Christie's, 30 May 1949, 124 (part of), and from the collections of Abbé Visconti, President of the Society of Antiquaries in Rome, acquired circa 1774, and that of the Museo del Padri Corsini, acquired in 1748.

I think your on a winner there Donna, just over two days left and CHF3,400 with a couple of gold up there as well, just shows the popularity of the Hadrian galley coins, I have one nowhere near as good. fJm69pdNC72t2wiQD5QzkF8KY3bAXp(550x277).jpg.c5ad4e11d3e91bfcf6957067ab64e521.jpg  

Edited by Ancient Aussie
  • Like 6

• Benefactor
On 6/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, DonnaML said:

Starting price:
750 CHF
Current bid:
1000 CHF

Bid increment:
100 CHF
Minimum bid:
1100 CHF
Number of bids:

Bid now »

I am going to guess (without looking) Amenemhet III. As I recall he had a cult following as late as Greco-Roman times and was worshipped even at that time. 12th dynasty I think.

• Like 1
  • Yes 2