The Miliaresion Thread

Ancient Coin Hunter

Seeing as I now own a miliarense, here it is!

1350957482_ValensMiliarense-min.png.0df5458479655bef5a7064533683cc37.png.3729ff2344420bb6e74e91564fd879ad.png

DN VALENS P F AVG - Diademed, shoulder-draped cuirassed bust of Valens

VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM / RP - Victoria standing left, foot placed on a globe, inscribing VOT / V / MVLT / X on a round shield supported by column

Edited by Harry G
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not much of a miliaresion collector myself, but once I saw this for sale, I could not pass on it.
While the coin may look like a regular fourree solidus at first glance, that couldn't be further from what it actually is.jy9Z9Bc53QPmSgN4RY6prTG7Xx8YzJ.png

Romanos I Lekapenos - Gilded AE Pattern Miliaresion - 931(?) AD - Sear: 1756, DOC: 19, BM: 43

Obverse: Facing half-length bust of Romanos, bearded, crowned, holding globus surmounted by patriarchal cross in right hand, bust surrounded by border of pellets between borders of dots, RΟΜΑΝΟ ΕΝ ΘΕω B' R'

Reverse: Large cross potent on three steps, globus beneath, X at the intersection of the arms of the cross, stars on either side beneath the cross, design bust surrounded by border of pellets between borders of dots, IHSUS XRISTUS NIKA

The type itself is quite fascinating. Many reference books have theorised that the coin could be an experimental design for a new miliaresion type from 931 AD when Romanos' co-emperor Christopher died. However, both the obverse and the reverse designs ultimately went completely unused, making these trial strikes the only coins with these specific designs. The most striking part of the coin, aside from it being struck in AE, is the extremely detailed bust on the obverse, which is even finer than the bust used on Romanos' solidi. Additionally, the stars below the cross on the reverse are unique to this type as well.

For reference, since my example is in a relatively poor state, I have attached pictures of all the other examples of the type I could find below: (There is supposedly a fifth example in a museum in St. Petersburg, however, I was not able to find a picture of it)

IMG_6591.png

Frankly, I am not sure why my example is gilded. The most likely explanation in my mind is that someone tried to pass off the coin as a solidus and hence plated it in gold, but of course, it can't be said for certain why the gilding is there. Whatever the reason may be, I am extremely happy to have purchased the coin, and it is by far the most interesting coin in my collection (you don't see ancient/medieval pattern coins every day after all), hence I decided I could share it here on the forums as well.

Edited by Zimm
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

Great idea for  thread, @Ancient Coin Hunter- for more on the history of Constantine VII and this coin, this article on Constantine VII has been one of the top hits in my Notes pages and includes the story of Constantine's Horoscope.

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/constantine-vii-born-in-the-purple

image.png.1ed5c0a8d1abb1d212d7ff8fb3fe89da.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, Egry said:

I believe the person who is willing to sell it to me has just purchased it from the London Coin Fair. The price they are asking is a bit high so I’m somewhat undecided.

That is a nice Theodosius II, but there are many like it. Buying at auction is likely to get one at a lower price. They come up pretty frequently.

I can see some reasons to buy fixed-price, but I am price sensitive and not in a great hurry to get any particular type, so I prefer to buy at auctions.  Logically (and, I admit, bidding is not always logical) if two coins are comparable and one is on the web at a fixed-price of $X, there is no reason to bid higher than $X (fees included).  Therefore, in a rational world with highly-informed bidders and buyers, coins at auction should sell (fees included) for less than comparable coins at fixed-price. The fixed-price people can make money off the collector's desire to get the coin right away, and profit from the collector's fear of the complications of dealing with firms from other countries. 

One of my best collecting friends only buys from CNG, regardless of the nice coins I know he would like that I show him (by sending the links) on offer from foreign sellers. In spite of his want list, if CNG does not offer it, he doesn't bid on it.  He's comfortable with CNG.  Okay, but that's not the way to get the best price. 

Here is mine, bought at auction and removed from its slab. Mine has the same die-break into the "DO" at the hairline. 

TheodosiusII5miliarense1901.jpg.2f55dda75436c04a7f8127b7fd870747.jpg

Edited by Valentinian
Inserted "fees included" for auction bids.
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3

• 4 weeks later...