The discovery of an unrecorded coin naming Queen Fastrada (783-794)

seth77

Interesting to see Offa influencing Charlemagne, when his coinage was a copy of Charlemagne's. I don't have a coin of Cynethryth, unfortunately, but at least there's a faint hope. Even a coin of Charlemagne is quite a stretch.

Offa Group II Light Coinage Cut Halfpenny, 780-792
image.png.216953ca520ee7833bb3d387af7881fd.png
London. Silver, 16mm, 0.43g. OFFA with chevron-barred A (over REX), separated by line of pellets with forked ends; various pellets in the field. AEDEL (over PALD, moneyer Aethelweald), divided by line of pellets with forked ends; various pellets in the field (S 904).

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

48 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Interesting to see Offa influencing Charlemagne, when his coinage was a copy of Charlemagne's. I don't have a coin of Cynethryth, unfortunately, but at least there's a faint hope. Even a coin of Charlemagne is quite a stretch.

Offa Group II Light Coinage Cut Halfpenny, 780-792
image.png.216953ca520ee7833bb3d387af7881fd.png
London. Silver, 16mm, 0.43g. OFFA with chevron-barred A (over REX), separated by line of pellets with forked ends; various pellets in the field. AEDEL (over PALD, moneyer Aethelweald), divided by line of pellets with forked ends; various pellets in the field (S 904).

I'm completely out of my depths with anything Anglo-Saxon.

19 minutes ago, seth77 said:

I'm completely out of my depths with anything Anglo-Saxon.

Offa sorted out the confusion and made it easier, following Charlemagne's lead in France. He created the penny (copying Charlemagne's denier), and put his name on the obverse and the moneyer on the reverse. English coins stayed much like that for 750 years, almost with the one denomination the whole time.

• Like 4

Phenomenal.  It's really bracing when it lands on you that we're living smack in the middle of a time when so many new discoveries on this scale are being made.  Seems like history is being rewritten every few months.  ...It's still late morning here, but I think I'm awake now.  Many thanks, @seth77.

• Like 1