River Gods

Sulla80

• Benefactor
6 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

My statement may not have been fair to Alexandrian mint workers, who appear to have been reasonably careful in their use of silver content.  Kevin Butcher and Matthew Ponting do a thorough review and analysis of metal content from Egyptian coinage in their excellent (and dense) 2015 book on "Metallurgy of Roman Silver Coinage".   Unfortunately, the analyses reported in their book end with Trajan. 

Here's how I understand the variability (up to Trajan): 

The tetradrachm was approximately 1 denarius in silver from inception under Tiberius and the variation from this standard is about the same as other provincial coinage. There is not good evidence of unusual overvaluation from face value vs. denarius comparing to contemporary provincial coinages.  Debasement was complicated, but roughly follows the pattern of the denarius.   Nero's year 12-14 there is debasement that is temporary. 

Depletion silvering (preferentially removing copper from the surface layer in a alloy flan) was a technique likely known to Roman mints to enrich the surface layer of silver.  The level of silver in the Egyptian tetradrachms during the Roman period was often below the level needed to effectively produce a good silver surface layer.  Complicating any analysis, the effects of centuries of burial (leeching of silver and copper over time) and cleaning (more ways to remove selectively metals from the surface).  These two surface effects yield the variability that we see today in hand. 

I still find the extremes of this e.g. between our two coins from same year, surprising.  Maybe something different going on with these coins of Hadrian?

I have no idea. I just hope that the difference doesn't cast doubt on the authenticity of mine, or even raise questions about whether someone applied silvering to it in modern times. Particularly given the very mediocre condition of the obverse in general.

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

I have no idea. I just hope that the difference doesn't cast doubt on the authenticity of mine, or even raise questions about whether someone applied silvering to it in modern times. Particularly given the very mediocre condition of the obverse in general.

From my perspective no concern with authenticity or modern modification- just an unsolved puzzle.  I have other Hadrian's from the Dattari collection that are equally silver.

image.png.996f26b400667068c28a8861599d91a7.png

Edited by Sulla80
add photo
  • Like 8

Acheloios Amenanos, the river god of Katane

Katane3big.jpg.945f4b3d4a03ecb3e48846e8786d98d6.jpg

Sicily, Katane, Tetradrachm, ca. 470-465 BC. AR (g 16,90; mm 27; h 5).

Recumbent man-headed bull r.; above, branch; in ex. fish r., Rv. KAT - ANE, Nike advancing l., holding wreath tied with fillet. Rizzo pl. IX, 4; SNG Ashmolean 1702; Randazzo 54. 

Edited by Brennos
  • Like 12

I never knew there were so many river gods out there.  Here are a couple of countermarked examples:

558523465_CM-LysimachosrivergodrecliningNov2019(0).jpg.50f3ff8b7655699bed3cf8a6af5b6354.jpg

1828724230_CM-LysimachosrivergodrecliningNov2019(0aaadet).jpg.bc2db126ce2a3824f09ba37e60d895a1.jpgEastern Celts     Æ 18 Lysimachos (Thrace) Imitation Countermarked for Odessos (c. 297-250 B.C.) Helmeted head of Athena (youth?) right / Blundered legend, lion leaping right, spearhead below. Countermark:  River god (Odessos/Theos Megas) reclining left, Δ below, 9 x 7 mm oval, obv. (4.04 grams / 18 mm) eBay Nov. 2019  Lot @ $2.20  Attribution:  Online sources were confusing: Cf. Müller 61-2 for prototype. cf.SNG.Cop.1149ff; SNG Copenhagen 1153; Winterthur 1329

673349075_CM-Perga-EagleAKcmonSeptSevAEApr2019(0AA).jpg.0c13d57a8c281ba07717a8721535f80d.jpgSeptimius Severus   Æ 25 Pamphylia, Perge (c. 193-211 A.D. ?)[AVT] K Λ CЄ  CЄOVHPOC, laureate head rt. / ΠЄPΓAIΩN  River god Cestrus reclining left, on amphora gushing water, holding reed and cornucopia. BMC 34 (8.63 grams / 25 mm) eBay April 2019        $15.00 BO  

Countermarks:  (1):  Eagle facing, in oval,  4 x 5 mm. Howg. 334 (50 pcs).  (2):  A.K. in rectangle 5 x 3 mm. Howgego 513 (43 pcs)."Note: Countermark (2) was applied earlier than (1)...countermark (2) is not found on coins struck later than..Elagabalus." FORVM Collection Automan.

Not a countermark, but here is the Rhine reclining on a Postumus antoninianus:   

80943966_Postumus-AntRhineRecliningNov18(0).jpg.a795fbf4bcdf31f1db219a0ffef52a4e.jpg 

Edited by Marsyas Mike
  • Like 9

There are some unusual river gods. Here is the river-god Lykos, in the form of a wolf.

normal_Laodikeia_03.jpg.a79ce8848d9c137003d783eb794a6f31.jpg

Laodikeia
Asia Minor, Phrygia
Obv.: Turreted head of Tyche right
Rev.: ΛAOΔI / KEΩN, wolf (river god Lykos) seated left
Æ, 2.57g, 12mm
Ref.: BMC 22

• Like 9

213136488_20220302_CARACALLA-NEW-MARCH(1).jpg.37b1e5b2587cc322d1525dc20709c47f.jpg

Caracalla. 198-217 AD. AR Denarius (3.50 gm, 20mm). Rome mint. Struck 207 AD.
Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: PONTIF TRP X COS II, Caracalla standing facing, head right, holding reversed spear (The symbolism of the inverted spear is interesting meaning that the bearer has come to negotiate, prevent a fight or seek peace. Or that peace has been achieved.)...and parazonium;(A triangular shaped dagger usually sheathed symbolising virtue, or rather of valor.)
*at feet to left, river god reclining on urn right; to right, two bound captives seated left.
*River gods Euphraat & Tigris seated far left and right with Armenia seated at the Emperor's feet (right).
*River gods Tyne & Eden seated far left and right with Britannia seatedcat the Emperors feet (right)
"Take your pick!".
RIC 96; RSC 441. Nice VF.

• Like 8