When shipping (and buyers fees) make collecting cost prohibitive

Ryro

23 hours ago, Ryro said:

Welly, well, well. I recently swore off N&N for sending me a 45 pound shipping amount. And when I asked if they offered anything else they said they did not (it is English post after all, and a mess). And now, I just received a $60 shipping charge on my invoice from Tauler & Fau (and they are out of S-pain in the ass)! Sadly, at 18% they are on the low end of buyers fees. Though, that too is just another nail in the coffin. I have never been asked to pay that much for shipping. Have you?

I dislike sending emails requesting that I am too cheap/poor when I am purchasing coins of value to pay what is asked for shipping (and frankly wish they houses that did would just let me pick the shipping option that works best for me), but have had to several times in the last few months due to the enormous increase I have been seeing. And yes, some have worked with me.

Any other auction houses that charge waaaaaay too much for shipping or buyers fees?

Shipping costs from one continent to another are just horrible, and getting more expensive every year. Heritage Europe has high fees, but for me its okay because it's just around the corner. Same for many German auction houses. And when it comes to shipping from another continent, there's taxes incurred and banking costs. etc. I also try to avoid non EU auction houses, such as the Swiss and British (Brexit must be their worst decision in 100 years!), even though Leu and Roma have some of the best material in my price range 😞

In my country there's the issue of always decreasing income of the postal service due to less normal mail being sent, and increasing competition with parcel companies. Next to, of course, increasing prices for fuel, wages, etc. But there's something I dont quite understand; one would thank that increased competition when it comes to parcels would lead to lower prices, or at least, prices not rising this much? What's happening here? 

Edit:

To clarify myself; I do occassionally buy from the US, if the coin to me is worth it. But I take into account costs when deciding my max bids. So, in case anyone cares, below you may find a list of charged shipping costs in the past, from various US based auctioneers, to Europe (Netherlands):

Heritage: 66,20 dollars in 2019
CNG: 40 dollars, in 2021, and 40 dollars in 2017 (! I hereby take back my general "getting more expensive every year" statement above, although it may apply to some auction houses!) 
Berk: 24 dollars in 2021 

Edited by Limes
  • Like 3