Anybody watching the Stanley Cup? Post your ancient and medieval sorta kinda hockey coins! :D

Severus Alexander

Since my Canadian citizenship would be revoked otherwise, but also because I love it, I will of course be watching the Stanley Cup Finals starting tonight, June 15th at 8pm ET.  The Tampa Bay Lightning (Eastern champions) will be trying to win their third Cup in a row, this time against a very formidable Colorado Avalanche team (Western champions).  Both hockey clubs have had amazing runs to the final... should be a great series!

image.png.7f51777e2d765f0e30b32ccbbaeeb5f8.png

Since hockey is of course the fastest, most entertaining spectator sport, this is truly the sporting event of the year. 😄 🇨🇦 No boring waiting around like in American football and baseball.  Admittedly soccer has even less waiting around, but geez, getting the ball from one goal to the other seems to take forever (tick, tick tick) and they almost never shoot!  In hockey, players regularly skate the length of the ice in a few seconds, then shoot the puck at a hundred miles an hour.  Which the defense then tries to block, never mind the actual broken bones that sometimes result.  Now that's commitment!

There's not enough scoring in soccer, but don't get me started on basketball which has the opposite problem.  The scoring is so constant the only portion of the game that actually matters is the last five minutes!  Sheesh.

OK, now that I've thoroughly offended everyone (see * below)... what the heck does this have to do with ancient and medieval coins? 😆

Well, nothing, of course.  But I wanted to celebrate the start of the Cup series with a post.  So I invite you to post any ancient or medieval coin that you can somehow connect with hockey!  One obvious way is that hockey is a real battle.  Perhaps not quite like it used to be... 😬

image.png.6a3465c65ccd92436804294cd0c94317.png

... thanks to some sensible rule changes, but a battle nonetheless.  I'll start with my ex Doug Smith gladiator coin, which is probably my favourite action scene in my collection:

image.jpeg.eb5289e3ba4759c9e1f37f06d2301932.jpeg

T. Didius AR Denarius. Rome, 113-112 BC. Helmeted head of Roma right, monogram of ROMA behind, mark of value below / Two gladiators fighting, each holding a shield, one attacking with a flail, the other defending with a sword; T•DEIDI in exergue. Crawford 294/1. (Sorry, @dougsmit, definitely needs a new photo!)

Other themes could include speed, armour, sacrifice... and winning!  That should leave lots of scope, but if you have an idea for a hockey <--> ancient/medieval coin connection, please have at it!

* In good Canadian fashion I apologize for any offense caused by my shameless attempt to draw attention.

• Like 16
  • Mind blown 1

Prepare the ice!!

snoopy on zamboni | Photos | HOCKEY | Pinterest | Photos ... | Snoopy  pictures, Charlie brown and snoopy, Snoopy love

Here are the two teams!

Here's a coin of @Severus Alexander featuring a mountain on which an AVALANCHE is occurring!

[IMG]
Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial AE 25.0 mm, 10.37 g.
Cappadocia, Caesarea, AD 222/3.
Obv: ΑV Κ Μ ΑVΡ ϹЄΟΥ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡ, laureate head, right; uncertain c/m behind.
Rev: ΜΗΤΡΟΠ ΚΑΙϹΑΡΙ, agalma of Mount Argaeus surmounted by star, atop altar inscribed ЄTA (= year 1).
Refs: RPC VI 6735; Sydenham 537-38; BMC 298; SNG von Aulock 6510.

And here's a LIGHTNING bolt on a semis of Hadrian!

[IMG]
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman orichalcum semis, 4.06 g, 18.1 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 121-23.
Obv: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG, eagle standing half right, head turned left, wings open but not spread.
Rev: P M TR P COS III S C, thunderbolt.
Refs: RIC 625; RIC 2.3, 624; BMC 1279; Cohen 1167; Strack 579; RCV 3704.

Edited by Roman Collector
The original suffered from prolixity
  • Like 13
  • Clap 2

Although I have very fond memories of my few visits to Canada, I'm afraid I know roughly nothing about hockey. Yet, I do have this beefy Ptolemaic bronze drachm that strongly resembles a hockey puck:

1288065819_PtolemaerPtolemaiosIIPhiladelphosAEDrachmeSvoronos479..png.adfed188ecaa123f5a941ca29ae85f0b.png

Ptolemy II Philadelphos, Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, AE drachm (?), 285­­–246 BC, struck c. 255–261 BC, Alexandreia mint. Obv.: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon r. Rev.: Two eagles standing l. on thunderbolt; Λ between legs of l. eagle. 40mm, 73.6g. Ref: Lorber I.2 B247; Svoronos 479; SNG Copenhagen 149.

Edited by Ursus
  • Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Cookie 2

4 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

(Sorry, @dougsmit, definitely needs a new photo!)

No Problem!  I'd be happy to try for a better photo.  All you have to do is send me the coin (and a few others I know you have) and I'll shoot it again.  However, I am a bit backed up at the moment but I'll try to get around to it in a few years/decades when I'll return it to you if I remember to do it (my mind is slipping fast).  Meanwhile, I attach my second rate old photo made back before the trade that relocated the coin north of the border. 

r12240xx2273.jpg.196b284091ca63dc407e37aed56172c8.jpg

I was a hockey fan when young and went to several games of the Indianapolis Chiefs (a minor league team that went out of business when I was in high school ending my interest in the sport).  When I was a fan there were few barriers to protect fans and I always sat next to the ice where I could retrieve errant pucks.  We kids played hockey on frozen streets wearing slick shoes (no one owned skates) and used those free pucks to advantage.  Once I got a broken stick which became my prized possession (just behind my piece of burnt leather from the safety belt race car driver Bill Vukovich was wearing when he died - my mother was dating a fireman at the scene at that time).  When I went away to college, my mother threw out all my childish possessions. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Chiefs

Is there an ancient coin that shows snow or ice?  Perhaps there is one showing a toothless man??? IDK

• Like 15
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

It seems 🏒 was played in Illyria way before it got popular in Canada. 

520561130_IllyriaApolloniaHalfVictoriatusb.jpg.d228321ba023af68f2dea5cb4ce08327.jpg

And from the flames on the obverse, I'm guessing it was the fire hockey variety.  Now, I don't know anything about hockey, but the video below claims fire hockey is "way cooler" than ice hockey? 🤨

• Like 11
  • Gasp 1

upload_2021-6-10_9-46-6.png
Roman Republic 
AR denarius 
3.8g 18.0mm 
T Didius 
Rome 113-112 BCE 
Roma, star, ROMA monogram -
Two Gladiators whip sword 
Sear 171 Crawford 294-1

upload_2020-6-20_9-27-10.png
Roman Republic
L Livineius Regulus
AR Denarius
42 BCE 
3.8g 19mm
Bare head of the praetor L. Livineius Regulus right - bankers mark and scratch on obverse
Gladiators in Arena. Gladiatorial scene; in foreground, one man attacks lion with spear; in back ground, second man with shield and sword attacks panther; on left, wounded boar; in exergue, L. REGVLVS
Cr 494-30 Syd 1112 Sear 489

[IMG]
Roman Republic
Minicuis Thermus 103 BCE 
AR Denarius
Mars beardless looking left (maybe looking at @Roman Collector , trying to figure out these Old English words for his name...) :)
2 Warriors fighting over fallen warrior
Sear 197 Cr 319-1

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

I am not Canadian, but I know "Oh Canada" - even the new version because hockey is hands down my favourite sport.  Real sports have bad boy boxes.

Egipet1.jpg.9441457ba8751c94af0c5097796513fa.jpg

An ancient hockey puck in bronze, AE46 drachm from Ptolemy III of Egypt.

OHL playoffs are just wrapping up with Windsor and Hamilton playing tonight for the championship.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

The only time I saw a hockey event for real I was in my teens. It was a world championship of some sort and one of the teams was Canada. I don't remember the other one. I came out very impressed, not enough to consider a career in this sport, I was playing hand ball at this time.

A (small) hockey puck

52e2ad86c584484b9b1cdfc7b2112673.jpg

Q

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I tried hockey once! My friends even let me know that I'm the Wayne Gretzky... of not playing hockey well.

Here's the helmet I'll wear if I ever play again:

2090658_1627719585.l-removebg-preview.png.3c8634248459c0c482b47990345124fd.png

Here's what I'll do to the opponent after beating them on the ice (or it could be me and a buddy couple's skating with our wives):

IMG_0053(1).JPG.4390d7c4deb7fd4357ef2fe689b5ba2d.JPG

Here's all their fans (and girlfriends) after their humiliating defeat:

IMG_2673(1).PNG.75a868d919dbd6e0e15f523ef29ced08.PNG

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Thanks for the creative posts, everyone!!  I'm getting excited... puck drop in less than half an hour, I'd guess! 🤩

I think @Steve's comment in the crypto crash thread Must Be Here Too:

I like the Canucks too, such a bummer they missed the playoffs by a hair. 😞 

@zumbly happened to point in the direction of my own favourite team when he brought up fire hockey (🤯)... The Calgary Flames.  (Nice "hockey stick" there Z!  I think you're confused between real hockey and field "hockey" though maybe... 😛 )

)spacer.png

Edmonton (mostly Connor McMagicdust) sent us packing in the second round but I still say we had injury problems and Sam Coleman's goal was a goal!  Gawd I hate it when the refs decide a game. 😡 Then the Avs knocked off Edmonton easily in 5... @Steve, are you sure you wanna put it all on the Bolts? 🤔 😬  Pretty sure the Avs'll take it in the end.  (But mostly I just hope it's a long series...)

Here's a fire altar for my beloved (now deceased) Flames: 

image.jpeg.924940a865e1fc04bbb8fd4bf27b976e.jpeg

Turning it on now, more later or after the first period...

• Like 10
  • Smile 1

Enjoy the game, and may the best team win!  Here's one with an athlete shown taking a victory lap. 

235637175_RRPlaetorirunnerb.jpg.4379fa00e88296720b5486972d6af2ed.jpg

ROMAN REPUBLIC
L. Plaetorius L. f. Cestianus

AR Denarius. 3.9g, 17mm
Rome mint, 67 BC.  Crawford 396/1b; Sydenham 792a; Plaetoria 2.  
O: Diademed and draped bust of Juno Moneta right; MONETA downwards behind, [SC below chin].  
R: Athlete (victorious boxer) running right, holding palm in right hand and wearing ribbons and cestus on left; L PLAETORI downwards behind, L F Q S C upwards before, torch below.
Ex Andrew McCabe Collection; ex Freeman & Sear Mail Bid Sale 12, 28 October 2005

• Like 9

Wow, fast and furious first period!  COL looking strong but I think TB can give them a series... plus they're typically weaker game 1.

11 hours ago, UkrainiiVityaz said:

I am not Canadian, but I know "Oh Canada" - even the new version because hockey is hands down my favourite sport.  Real sports have bad boy boxes.

High five, @UkrainiiVityaz!!  You even watch the OHL and spell it "favourite."  Honorary Canadian citizenship hereby conferred! 🇨🇦🌟

Also glad to see that big ol' hockey puck.  What's the weight on that monster?  We had a weight competition going on CoinTalk, I guess we should start one here.  Here's my ex Dattari octobol, one of my favourite coins.  It's 93.27g:

image.jpeg.5e3ec7a659e6ab9aa7ec746ad8d8e39d.jpeg

Nice junior hockey puck there too, @Ursus!  And look at Q with his cute tiny leetle (frenche?) wan!  😛 I wonder what international game that was, @Qcumbor... there were some pretty special ones back then.  I'm glad you liked the game!  Maybe if you go to nhl.com you can watch a little of this one once you're up, at least the game recap!

OK, 2nd period on...

• Like 6
  • Smile 1

15 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Generally speaking, not in this series

You'll find my primary loyalty up thread... 🙂 [edit: and later in this comment...]

Great game so far, eh?  This series may be shaping up to be a hockey lover's dream...

2 hours ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Lets hope Tampa three peats

This is actually a big reason why I want COL to win.  Spread the wealth, I say!  My childhood hockey experiences were dominated by the Islanders and then the Gretzky Oilers and while it was great to watch those teams it got a bit annoying that nobody else could get a Cup.  Sure loved it when the Flames took out the Oilers in 85-86... then the Cup in 89!  🥳

Re: the Preds, I'm sure you heard this quip from our coach:

I bet you're still sore from that spankin' the Avs gave you, eh? 😜 Gotta love the catfish tradition though!

Back to coins, that T. Didius is a beaut, @Alegandron, and the other two are perfect for the thread as well!

10 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

What's the Stanley Cup, lol? I vaguely remember something about the Blackhawks and the number three, but that seems longer ago than our coins...

(Speaking of T. DIdii, surely you have one to show us, @Phil Davis? Pretty please?)  Hmmm... #3 Blackhawks... Keith Magnuson?!  Not exactly the first guy I think of.  How about #9!!  (Immortalized as Big Bobby Clobber on the Royal Canadian Air Farce!)

OK, 3rd period time!  Maybe we'll even get overtime if we're lucky! 😄

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 3

• Benefactor

Still 3-3 with 2 minutes to play 

I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan, but I'm betting on TB Lightning 

oh Canada.jpg

Thessaly Larissa Basketball.jpg

Oooops, that's a basketball coin!! (close enough?)

Oh, here is a coin showing a locker-room with a set of Goalie-pads ... 

image.png.7f157b937e8d8080ceed8fbddfccde76.pngimage.png.19eac0de345709042a5252f52a871038.png

Cheers to hockey ... long live the Canucks!!

date night bold.png

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

43 minutes ago, Severus Alexander said:

OK, 3rd period time!  Maybe we'll even get overtime if we're lucky! 😄

And... we got lucky!! 👍 What a fabulous game!  (Your shorts OK after that delay-of-game penalty, @TheTrachyEnjoyer?)

13 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

As it happens... Ex Niggeler, ex Haeberlin:

image00084.jpg

Geez, Phil, not up to your usual standard.  I mean it's not quite FDC is it?  And no royalty in that pedigree?  For shame. 😁  (Wowzers, I love that coin... 😻  I'm sure @dougsmit would offer to photograph yours for you too... right Doug? 😉 )

15 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan, but I'm betting on TB Lightning 

I gotta give it to you and @TheTrachyEnjoyer, the Lightning have been impressive.  Carrying forward their super 4-games-in-a-row against the NYR.  Makes me happy, we're definitely gonna see a good series.

15 minutes ago, Steve said:

Thessaly Larissa Basketball.jpg

Oooops, that's a basketball coin!! (close enough?)

We'll give you a pass!  At least it's slightly better than knucklebones!

image.jpeg.315b76c36832c02b82e08428d7c38596.jpeg

^ Cilicia: Tarsos (389-375 BCE), AR obol

Another battle coin:

image.jpeg.402104a353190ba5605c42281482769c.jpeg

On with OT!  No matter who wins I expect we'll enjoy it.

• Like 6

😁  That was quick!  Easy-peasy!!

With reference to @Roman Collector's excellent riff on the teams, here's a Sep Sev drachm and a Julia Paula AE27 from Caesarea, Cappadocia aka The Avalanche Mountain!  (Hey @Ryro, I think the Bolts need that helmet of yours!)

image.jpeg.fda77bd75338e0038d813e5976d37659.jpeg

image.jpeg.98655a206eb7fe1c3faba95d3b76fa15.jpeg

Thanks, guys, it's been fun... looking forward to the next game.  Saturday at 8 ET!

• Like 7