I accidentally bid on a lot that I was not interested in buying what can I do?

seth77

7 minutes ago, kapphnwn said:

I am very glad it worked out for you @seth77 but like I said before try not to make it into  a habit. I too have a number a favorite auctions and overall I have been treated well and like you I would be loath to lose them. 

As I said, were they not in agreement to accept my apologies, I would have made good on the auction result and paid. In no instance was I considering defaulting, even if I wasn't interested in the coin.

I am glad that all ended well. 
In the end it's a win-win situation, I suspect the new style tetradrachm can get a bigger hammer price when they relist it. 

I am not sure if it's related, but I had 2 similar situations on biddr, not sure if it's a hiccup on my PC, as it starts to get old, or a general issue (I am not counting the times when I accidentally bid, being 100% my fault)

About 2 years ago there was a modest Aelius denarius coming live. I was interested in it. I clicked bid (I think the bid was 15) Biddr page simply froze and when it came back to life the auction was 2 lots after Aelius. I won that lot, with 34 euros. I was OK with this. I wouldn't have been with 80. 

Recently, another auction, I wanted to bid on a provincial, less than average condition, but interesting reverse (a category of coins I love). There were no signs that many people are interested so I was confident I can take it for 40 euros, the bid being 29. 

Going live, I clicked bid - freeze - and I noticed I am the leader with .... 110 euros 😐 This was not a sum I was too happy to pay and I have no idea what happened. But the winner was, apparently, very eager to get the coin and I, fortunately, lost it. 

image.png.9b3e5c905d976800fbbc81681e1f81a6.png

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1

17 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I am glad that all ended well. 
In the end it's a win-win situation, I suspect the new style tetradrachm can get a bigger hammer price when they relist it. 

I am not sure if it's related, but I had 2 similar situations on biddr, not sure if it's a hiccup on my PC, as it starts to get old, or a general issue (I am not counting the times when I accidentally bid, being 100% my fault)

About 2 years ago there was a modest Aelius denarius coming live. I was interested in it. I clicked bid (I think the bid was 15) Biddr page simply froze and when it came back to life the auction was 2 lots after Aelius. I won that lot, with 34 euros. I was OK with this. I wouldn't have been with 80. 

Recently, another auction, I wanted to bid on a provincial, less than average condition, but interesting reverse (a category of coins I love). There were no signs that many people are interested so I was confident I can take it for 40 euros, the bid being 29. 

Going live, I clicked bid - freeze - and I noticed I am the leader with .... 110 euros 😐 This was not a sum I was too happy to pay and I have no idea what happened. But the winner was, apparently, very eager to get the coin and I, fortunately, lost it. 

image.png.9b3e5c905d976800fbbc81681e1f81a6.png

Interesting, I thought that the main fault was with the Android app for biddr or my phone, but if things like this also happen on a laptop/desktop maybe there's a problem with biddr(?), perhaps when there are many accounts logged in and following the same auction at the same time(?). Thing is I did not intend to bid anything on the owl. I just opened my biddr app, logged in, went to Savoca live auction and then the app froze for a few seconds. Then after it unfroze I was able to see that I had bid and won the lot that came live as I had just logged into the auction.

I don't use the Android app. When I use biddr on my phone, I prefer the browser version. So I cannot confirm, but what you say looks like an apk glitch. 

I do not guarantee that the examples I provided are not related to local issues on my machine. 

But looking again at my last print screen, it's strange how the bid went from 29 euros to 100 (Bidder 1) - then my bid with 110 (not my intention) and again the winner (Bidder 1) with 120. This doesn't even look like a pre-bid or proxy. 

I will refrain from using the Android app from now on for live auctions although I did use it before with no problems. I think that what differentiates the similar situations is that I was not interested in bidding on the lot that happened to be coming live while I logged on with my biddr app. It just bid on my behalf on the lot that happened to be there without my intention.

12 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

I don't use the Android app. When I use biddr on my phone, I prefer the browser version. So I cannot confirm, but what you say looks like an apk glitch. 

I do not guarantee that the examples I provided are not related to local issues on my machine. 

But looking again at my last print screen, it's strange how the bid went from 29 euros to 100 (Bidder 1) - then my bid with 110 (not my intention) and again the winner (Bidder 1) with 120. This doesn't even look like a pre-bid or proxy. 

Yes that could only happen if two people typed in a higher value, which obviously wasn’t the case.

1 hour ago, ambr0zie said:

I think it went like this: Bidder 3 entered a prebid of 90 or 95. Prior to the sale, the only bid entered by Bidder 1 was a proxy bid of at least 120. That proxybid was initially triggered when the lot went on the block, at 100 to beat Bidder 3’s prebid. Then came your live bid, @ambr0zie, which triggered another increment on Bidder 1’s proxy. 

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

8 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

I think it went like this: Bidder 3 entered a prebid of 90 or 95. Prior to the sale, the only bid entered by Bidder 1 was a proxy bid of at least 120. That proxybid was initially triggered when the lot went on the block, at 100 to beat Bidder 3’s prebid. Then came your live bid, @ambr0zie, which triggered another increment on Bidder 1’s proxy. 

Almost. Not bidder 3's bid was at 95, but there were two proxy bids, one at 95 and one at or above 120. We'll have to make an update to the bid history to show outbid proxy bids that raised the bidding level.

As for the frozen screen, besides computer/browser problems, this can happen if your internet connection has a short hickup.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SimonW said:

We'll have to make an update to the bid history to show outbid proxy bids that raised the bidding level.

Good idea! (At some point when working out what happened the two proxies possibility occurred to me. Makes sense! That’s usually what explains a big jump at opening.)

I’m really happy to see most auctioneers using the proxy bid option. It’s of course vitally important that proxy bids remain private to the bidder. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
On 2/27/2023 at 10:30 AM, seth77 said:

Problem solved. Savoca was very understanding and accepted my apologies and decided to cancel the purchase. I wouldnt be surprised if they thought the coin might actually fare better in another auction. I was already a fan of their company but now I'm even more of a satisfied customer.

Thank you so much for your thoughts again, this morning I was rather ready to bite the bullet, pay for the coin and leave it under consignment with them for a future auction. Maybe that would've earned me a few Euros but I'm happy that they understood that what happened was a mistake and accepted my apologies. 

Savoca fan forever.

I'm glad that everything worked out satisfactorily for you.

Actually the coin might be offered to the second highest bidder rather than be relisted.  I've had that experience once, when a high bidder did not want to pay for a coin due to an undisclosed condition issue.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So, it happened again. New phone, I logged on to biddr via browser, did the 2-factor authenticity and inadvertently ended up bidding on the lot that was live as I logged on to live bidding. This time the price is low so I won't be asking for a cancellation but I find it odd that this seems to keep happening, regardless of the mobile device used.

35 minutes ago, seth77 said:

So, it happened again. New phone, I logged on to biddr via browser, did the 2-factor authenticity and inadvertently ended up bidding on the lot that was live as I logged on to live bidding. This time the price is low so I won't be asking for a cancellation but I find it odd that this seems to keep happening, regardless of the mobile device used.

Yikes. Perhaps this is a Biddr bug. I haven't used Biddr since November, and I've always used a desktop computer, not a phone, to bid. However, I remember getting nervous sometimes, because I would login to the live bidding, and it would say something like "the auction for that coin is closed". As if I had tried to bid on the coin, but the auction for the coin had already closed (fortunately). I think, somehow, I had set my web browser on a particular coin, but then had I waited for awhile, before I actually tried to login to live bidding, and by that time the auction for that particular coin had closed.

Here are some ideas, to perhaps minimize the risk, of this happening, in the future. I don't know, if any of these ideas will work. 1. Use a desktop computer, instead of a phone, if you have a safe and secure desktop computer available. 2. Login before the live bidding starts, if that is possible. 3. Is there a way to do, what I did above, and login to the live bidding, for a coin whose auction has already closed? 4. Is there a way to go to the catalog for the auction, and see which coin auctions have already closed, and then somehow login to live bidding, by clicking on a coin for which the bidding has already closed?

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

@seth77 P.S. : Whenever I bid at an auction, I'm always wary, of this sort of thing happening. On my desktop computer, what I do is, I always have multiple tabs open, in the browser window. One tab will have some other web page, like Yahoo News. The other tab will have the auction. Before I go to a different browser window, or any other window, I always click on the non-auction tab. That way, whenever I return to the browser window, it will be on the non-auction tab. Then, I carefully click on the auction tab.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 9:33 PM, sand said:

@seth77 P.S. : Whenever I bid at an auction, I'm always wary, of this sort of thing happening. On my desktop computer, what I do is, I always have multiple tabs open, in the browser window. One tab will have some other web page, like Yahoo News. The other tab will have the auction. Before I go to a different browser window, or any other window, I always click on the non-auction tab. That way, whenever I return to the browser window, it will be on the non-auction tab. Then, I carefully click on the auction tab.

I once had the cat bid on my behalf back when Pecunem was the new hot thing. Luckily it was something I was after, unluckily there were others cats after that so I lost it.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1