2022 Virtual Abafil Trays • Judaean Collection

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

My Judaean collection in order of David Hendin classification numbers. Many of these have been upgraded.

image.jpeg.da7f2ca2d4fde5ade4f431b092504c72.jpeg

This is a subset of Judaean coins that were struck and circulated during the lifetime of Jesus.

image.jpeg.5946f6684fd2a07956ded65b4625b72e.jpeg

Feel free to post your latest upgrades, coin trays (real or virtual) or subsets of larger collections.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 13
  • Yes 1
  • Gasp 2
  • Mind blown 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

• LONGINUS changed the title to 2022 Virtual Abafil Trays • Judaean Collection

What a lovely and impressive display. No doubt the collecting and the work on this presentation were labors of love. Well done!

16 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

coin trays (real or virtual)

I am again reminded of Kerry Wetterstrom's "Editor's Note" from The Celator from page two of the June 2010 edition. Yours is the digital equivalent of the "cardboard coins" he encountered in Abafil cases, as he describes in his amusing story. I linked to this years ago, in a thread at that other site where a couple weeks ago so many soon-to-be Numis Forums members read "Enough Already!" and decided that, indeed, they had. Here's the link:

https://community.vcoins.com/themencode-pdf-viewer-sc/?file=https://community.vcoins.com/thecelator/The-Celator-Vol.24-No.06-Jun-2010.pdf&settings=001110111&lang=en-US#page=&zoom=auto&pagemode=

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
22 minutes ago, Kamnaskires said:

Kerry Wetterstrom's "Editor's Note"

That is hilarious! Thanks for the link. I’ve seen “The Celator” referenced many times. It was a bit before my time though. I’ve only been into ancient coins since 2016. It looks like a great magazine.

• Like 2

Absolutely fabulous displays, @LONGINUS, containing some really lovely examples of these types!!

Coincidentally, I was recently browsing some unidentified Hasmonaeans, trying to get an example of each of the main rulers.  These can be tricky to ID (even just to ruler) and I am a near neophyte.  Anyway, using the well known FORVM help page I was able to manage well enough.  In the course of it I compiled some cheat sheets for four of the rulers who are sometimes hard to tell apart.  There's no attempt at completeness, I just aimed to capture some general patterns, esp. the most common ones.  Here they are, in case someone else finds them useful!  (Corrections likely needed and gratefully received.)

The blue text represents some mnemonics I developed when I was looking for the particular palaeo-Hebrew name pattern.

image.jpeg.d59fe4eac54d51bf810dd002cceb457e.jpeg

image.jpeg.d705a32f8c2262a3c0538b5b789e0e72.jpeg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Kamnaskires said:

What a lovely and impressive display. No doubt the collecting and the work on this presentation were labors of love. Well done!

I am again reminded of Kerry Wetterstrom's "Editor's Note" from The Celator from page two of the June 2010 edition. Yours is the digital equivalent of the "cardboard coins" he encountered in Abafil cases, as he describes in his amusing story. I linked to this years ago, in a thread at that other site where a couple weeks ago so many soon-to-be Numis Forums members read "Enough Already!" and decided that, indeed, they had. Here's the link:

https://community.vcoins.com/themencode-pdf-viewer-sc/?file=https://community.vcoins.com/thecelator/The-Celator-Vol.24-No.06-Jun-2010.pdf&settings=001110111&lang=en-US#page=&zoom=auto&pagemode=

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I can only think of one analogy and that would involve synthetic materials and be too risque too post on such an erudite site as this. 🙂  Thank you @Kamnaskires

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LONGINUS said:

My Judaean collection in order of David Hendin classification numbers. Many of these have been upgraded.

This is a subset of Judaean coins that were struck and circulated during the lifetime of Jesus.

Feel free to post your latest upgrades, coin trays (real or virtual) or subsets of larger collections.

This is one of the most extraordinary and beautiful displays I have seen and thank you for sharing @LONGINUS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LONGINUS said:

Fabulous, absolutely fabulous!!👍🥳

Erin

• Like 1