Lets see your Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms

Prieure de Sion

@Prieure de Sionhey, amigo! What happened? You ended up not paying for this Nero and other 2 Tetradrachms we competed for at Goldberg? It is for sale again, que paso?

Was anything wrong with the coin? Same applies to Domitian and Septemius Tetradrachms you won and posted here… those are for sale again at the upcoming Goldberg auction. Anything coin community here should be aware of in regards to these coins?

Gracias

80B065D5-56B4-4CE0-AE6F-3EC7FCFB48AB.jpeg

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1

This one isn't exactly Syrian (although today it's very close to modern Syrian and I think many/most are found there), but it's in the general theme, I hope. These used to be rare until a couple large hoards were found after 2005 (about 800 total). They were published in: 

• Lorber, Catharine & Michaels, David. 2007. "Silver Coinage of Aegeae in the Reign of Hadrian." Quaderni Ticinesi 37 (2007, Abstract, feel contact me if anyone needs a page scan/ref. check from the hard copy);
  • Haymann, Florian. 2014. "The Hadrianic Silver Coinage of Aegeae (Cilicia)" American Journal of Numismatics 26: pp. 143-186 + 20 plates [JSTOR].
  • Since it came up in another thread, Haymann (AJN, 2014) reported that these are ~50-60% silver.

image.jpeg.f5fdd1659ddb5c9207f74102d43b2bef.jpeg

Cilicia, Aegeae. Hadrian AR Tetradrachm (25mm, 11.99 g, 6h), Dated year 177 of the Caesarean Era (130/1 CE).
Obv: Laureate and cuirassed bust right, slight drapery.
Rev: AIΓЄAIΩN ЄTOVC · ZOP · (date), eagle standing facing on harpe, head and tail right, with wings spread; below goat head right, kneeling left.
Pub: F. Haymann, “Hadrianic Silver Coinage of Aegeae (Cilicia),” AJN 26 (2014), Type 14 (dies O1/R6) [sic] (this coin illustrated) = L&M 117 (this coin illustrated);
Ref: Prieur 719; RPC III 3343.
Prov
Ex-Mid-2005 Aegeae Hoard, Inv. # 4.3.6, cataloged by Lorber & Michaels in Quaderni Ticinesi 37 (2007, Abstract); Freeman & Sear, 2009; The Crescent Collection; CNG e-486, 332.

BTW: There's a much better example for sale under $400 right now on VCoins, also a plate coin in the two studies mentioned above (it's not mine & I have no stake in it, but will be happy to point you to it if you message me; I was the underbidder on it twice, but now that I have this one, I don't think I'm going to buy it even though it's a very good deal, IMO).

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 6

Roman Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch. Galba, AD 68-69. AR Tetradrachm (27mm, 14.22g, 12h). Antioch mint. Dated RY 2 (AD 68/69). Obv: AYTOKPATωP ΓAΛBA C KAICAP CЄBACTOC; Bare head right. Rev: ЄTOYC B; Eagle standing left, wreath in beak, on two laurel branches; palm to left. Ref: RPC 4198; McAlee 308; Prieur 100. 

image.jpeg.6ccf85a24f5973420bf9701bafab0a50.jpeg

• Like 5