Lets see your Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms

Prieure de Sion

2 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

That's a very attractive plate coin pictured in Prieur's book; I'm surprised it wasn't marked as such on the slab 🤔. I remember when this coin came up for auction, had I been more flush with money at the time I would have bid on it too.

You are correct, though in my opinion coin was inexpensive- i was surprised myself (~$400), where previously, similar examples were selling for $1,500 at CNG in more worn condition, i was honestly surprised you didn’t bid on it:)

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Egry, The importance of Antioch, Syria can't be stressed enough. You're correct stressing the military staging point of Antioch for ventures in the East. The city of Antioch was founded by Seleukos I in 300 BC, & it's first coins were minted by Antiochos I, 280-261 BC. Coins were minted in Antioch for nearly 1,000 years, longer than the Rome mint. For anyone with a serious interest in the history of this city I highly recommend an exhibition catalog published in 2000 by the Worcester Art Museum, "ANTIOCH, The Lost Ancient City". Used copies of this catalog are easy to find via the internet. In the catalog William Metcalf wrote an excellent essay on "The Mint of Antioch", with illustrations. 

325454167_AntiochTheLostAncientCity.jpg.ddb067fed3248a7b91dbff7ab5ec5452.jpg

The founding of Antioch is indirectly depicted on many of the tetradrachms struck at that mint, like the coin below. When Seleukos I was searching for a location for the city, an animal sacrifice was preformed by his priests. During this ritual an eagle swept down from the heavens & grabbed a leg from the sacrificed animal, flew to a location & dropped the leg where the city was founded. The tetradrachm pictured below, like so many other examples, depicts the eagle holding the sacrificed leg from that ritual.

1091066453_CaracallaAD205-207AntiochSyria.ARTet.Prieur202_Rev..jpg.6d305bc9465f98e0a5b17373c78de85a.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I will add the book to my list. I never knew about the leg being depicted on the coin, now I see it everywhere.

image.png.f7630fdb4ceafbb50cc7b39f69d320c8.png

Interesting contemporary imitation, tetradrachm struck on bronze flan.

Gaius Vibius Trebonianus Gallus
AE Bronze Tetradrachm Antiochia, 251-253 AD, Diameter 28.4mm, Weight 12.29gramm
Obverse: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Γ ΟΥΙΒ ΤΡЄΒ ΓΑΛΛΟϹ ϹЄΒ, Reverse: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞΟΥϹΙΑϹ

Draped and currassed bust of Trebonianus Gallus with laurel wreath to the right. Below an S.
Eagle right, head left, S between legs, S C below.

• Like 8

image.png.ad35100c04eeb49bbdea73164ff220ba.png

Whoever it was at the auction from here - she/he made my life difficult 😄 ...
A fresh new addition to my tetradrachms.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Laodicea ad Mare, Syria Phoenice
Prieur 1104, RPC I. 4383
63 / 64 AD
Diameter 24mm
Weight 13.69gramm
Obverse Diademed Bust of Nero with laurel wreath to the right, ΝΕΡΩΝΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΦΙ
Reverse Turreted and veiled bust of Tyche to right, ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ, ΑΡΙΣ (behind), ΙΣΑ (below), ΑΙΡ (in front)
Extremly Rare Issue

• Like 8

1 minute ago, septim said:

The auction had more than a few attractive coins.

However, I have to agree with you. Unfortunately 😄 ... I got 4 tetradrachms in total.
And now I have to see how I can appease the girlfriend. I have to buy her something great 😄 ... 

1x Nero (above)
1x Domitianus
2x Septimius Severus

89 AD RPC 146 Silver Tetradrachm Antiochia ad Orontem Domitianus Webseite.png

severus eagle first webseite.png

severus eagle second webseite.png

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

And now I have to see how I can appease the girlfriend. I have to buy her something great 😄 ... 

I guess an aureus is not an option? 😉

Top quality coins. You will enjoy them. I did not even start bidding on the lots I had in mind. Curious to see if any lot went for less than my limit.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Ummmm, curious? ... do I get to join the party with this lil' Hadrian offering?

Hadrian silver (AR) tetradrachm

117-138 AD

Struck at the mint of Antioch in Syria

Diameter: 23.1 mm

Weight: 12.88 grams

Obverse: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Hadrian to right

Reverse: Eagle, wings spread, head left, stands upon thigh of bull

Reference: BMC 304-05

Other: NICE surfaces … SCARCE

Ex-stevex6

hadrian.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 hours ago, septim said:

I guess an aureus is not an option? 😉

I'm afraid I won't get off that easily 😄 

3 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Reverse Turreted and veiled bust of Tyche to right, ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ, ΑΡΙΣ (behind), ΙΣΑ (below), ΑΙΡ (in front)

Can anybody help me here? I am searching this evening - but it works not complete...

ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ = JOULIEON = Is this the honorary name Julia or is it meant here by the Julians?
ΤΩΝ = ?
ΚΑΙ = ?
ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ = LAODIKEON = Laodicea
ΑΡΙΣ = ?
ΙΣΑ = ? 
ΑΙΡ = year 111

Thanks for any help!

5 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

However, I have to agree with you. Unfortunately 😄 ... I got 4 tetradrachms in total.

1x Nero (above)
1x Domitianus
2x Septimius Severus

89 AD RPC 146 Silver Tetradrachm Antiochia ad Orontem Domitianus Webseite.png

severus eagle first webseite.png

severus eagle second webseite.png

Good thing

we didn’t target the same coins. I went for quality Nero, but stopped at $1,200. I did, howere, secured fine style Domitian and VF Titus

the few reasons I didn’t bid on Domitian that you listed (i have 2

AU already and this one had a Graffito) +have NGC AU Septimius AU 5/5 4/5

Edited by El Cazador

6 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.png.ad35100c04eeb49bbdea73164ff220ba.png

Whoever it was at the auction from here - she/he made my life difficult 😄 ...
A fresh new addition to my tetradrachms.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Laodicea ad Mare, Syria Phoenice
Prieur 1104, RPC I. 4383
63 / 64 AD
Diameter 24mm
Weight 13.69gramm
Obverse Diademed Bust of Nero with laurel wreath to the right, ΝΕΡΩΝΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΦΙ
Extremly Rare Issue

Did you get it? I stopped at 1,200

hahahaha, so i did bid you up to $1300+20%😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by El Cazador

3 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

BTW did you notice some attribution errors : an obvious Philip the Arab tet wrongly attributed to T Decius, and at least one other ?

Yes... an Nero Tetradrachm they describe it as an Titus or Domitianus 🙂 I see that.

Oh oh oh ... if I dont get the domitianus Tetradrachm, my next favorite was this rare Iulia Domna Tetradrachm! That's a fine coin. one of my favorites too. oh good that I do no bid on this Iulia Domna. Fantastic to know - you get the coin. Enjoy that. And you get this for an good price I think. Fantastic.

And the second one - Gordianus III - I like it. Great young porträt with radiated to the left. That's fine. 

Anyone her who take this tetradrachms?

This Augustus was on my favorite list, but I am not sure how much about the coming other coins - so I quit really early at this Augustus:
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/goldberg/browse?a=2626&l=2955165

The Nerva Tetradrachm I like too, but I am not a rich men and concentrate me of my Septimius Severus. But if someone get this Nerva - mygratulations:
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/goldberg/browse?a=2626&l=2955192 

This Traian I quit also early... want my Severus Tetradrachms - but I like the Melqart Porträt. Gratulations to the new owner!
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/goldberg/browse?a=2626&l=2955194 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

2955234_1654845174.jpg

2955263_1654845192.jpg

2955276_1654845200.jpg

BTW did you notice some attribution errors : an obvious Philip the Arab tet wrongly attributed to T Decius, and at least one other ?

Q

Great Tetradrachms, I was not paying attention to attributions, was just focused on Nero, Domitian, Trajan and Titus Tetradrachms.

Wondering who won that lovely Caracalla Cappadocia with Mt. Argaeus Tetradrachm 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Yes... an Nero Tetradrachm they describe it as an Titus or Domitianus 🙂 I see that.

Oh oh oh ... if I dont get the domitianus Tetradrachm, my next favorite was this rare Iulia Domna Tetradrachm! That's a fine coin. one of my favorites too. oh good that I do no bid on this Iulia Domna. Fantastic to know - you get the coin. Enjoy that. And you get this for an good price I think. Fantastic.

And the second one - Gordianus III - I like it. Great young porträt with radiated to the left. That's fine. 

Anyone her who take this tetradrachms?

This Augustus was on my favorite list, but I am not sure how much about the coming other coins - so I quit really early at this Augustus:

The Nerva Tetradrachm I like too, but I am not a rich men and concentrate me of my Septimius Severus. But if someone get this Nerva - mygratulations:
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/goldberg/browse?a=2626&l=2955192 

This Traian I quit also early... want my Severus Tetradrachms - but I like the Melqart Porträt. Gratulations to the new owner!
https://www.biddr.com/auctions/goldberg/browse?a=2626&l=2955194 

I was underbidder on Augustus, but decided to drop out, as there were some issues with surfaces on the reverse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I had it on my watchlist too, with my finger ready to pull the trigger but something prevented me to do so (the surface issue as mentioned by @El Cazador, I guess.

Q

• Like 2

Some more:

normal_Gordianus_III_14.jpg.c6fef70617aad385d37a8ca14f7fe8da.jpg

Gordianus III
Syria, Antiochia
Billon tetradrachm
Obv.: AYTOK K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC CEB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: ΔHMAPX EΞ YΠATO B, Eagle standing facing, wings spread, head turned left, wreath in beak; below ram running left with crescent above head
Billon, 11.75g, 24.9mm
Ref.: Prieur 295

normal_Philippus_I_09.jpg.96a4f08f86655d027f0512f3756d5d64.jpg

Philippus I.
Syria, Antiochia
Billon tetradrachm
Obv.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CΕΒ, radiate and cuirassed bust left
Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ ΟΥCΙΑC ΥΠΑΤΟ Γ, eagle standing right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
Billon, 11.35g, 26x27mm
Ref.: Prieur 354

normal_Volusian_02.jpg.5574cf37c7b82e6980d2562ab660be1d.jpg

Volusianus
Syria, Antiochia
Billon tetradrachm
Obv.: AYTOK K Γ AΦIN ΓAΛ OYENΔ OYOΛOYCCIANOC CEB,, radiate and cuirassed bust right, S below
Rev.: ΔHMAPX EΞOYCIAC / SC, Eagle standing facing on ground line, head and tail left, wings displayed, holding wreath in beak; S between legs.
Billon, 11.49g, 25.2mm
Ref.: Prieur 701

• Like 5
  • Yes 1