The Cabinet - Ancient & World Coin Marketplace

Restitutor

20 hours ago, Restitutor said:

Merge complete for Republican & Imperatorial.

Excellent, thank you @Restitutor!!

20 hours ago, Restitutor said:

For the wanted vs. sales - the methodology at present to filter for one or the other is once you click into a category, you will see the Filter blocks on the right hand side of the screen. If you scroll below the price filters you'll see the ability to filter between wanted & for sale. Hope this helps!!

Definitely helps, thanks - though it's still an issue that you have to drill all the way down to a bottom level category for the filters to operate.  Is it possible to make it so you can list all the ads in Ancients, say, and filter by wanted/for sale?  (If not, then a top level "wanted" category would be the best solution, I think.  Or failing that, at least a separate "Wanted" category for each of Ancients, World, Supplies & Lit, and Artifacts.)

Thanks, @Restitutor!  I know it must be tough to keep on top of all the requests, we need to be patient!  (Maybe it would help to pin a "suggestions box" thread for this kind of thing?)  In any case I hope you feel good about all the enthusiasm and time people are investing in this great new forum!

• Like 3

Needs saying, the quality time and thought that people are putting into the Cabinet, both in terms of suggestions and implementation, are as impresssive as they are encouraging.

Meanwhile, who's up for hearing how the first transaction went?  Because it arrived today.  

20220530_183816.jpg.572adc4169c7332cf6b40634e73e2fdc.jpg

That's the pic from the original listing.  @CPK very kindly resent the listing after the purchase, when I was having trouble finding it here (Thanks, @Restitutor, for your help with that earlier in the thread). 

...But it was only from the label in the flip (PVC-free --I'm betting money) that I further learned that it was "Purchased from CNG auction 509, Lot 119."  Unless @CPK mentioned that at some point in the related correspondence.  --As in, Dude, did you make a whole new ticket for this, along with a PVC-free flip?  Forget applause; you need a medal.

The coin itself Kicks Butt All Over the Block.  As few of these as I've ever seen in person, never mind had dans le main, the sheer heft is something to write home about.  Along with the accompanying relief; not only does Hera show up and say 'hi' if you look at it from the side; the outer margins of the reverse incuse are only more pronounced than from the resonantly competent photography 

And I'm Needing --Yep, True Story-- the test cuts, the punchmark and (saving the best for last) banker's mark on the reverse.

...With reference to an earlier post here, this is an absolute best case, as a complement to another 'bucket list' coin.  Especially since, over the last while, I've been newly interested in Herodotus.  For easy reference, here's that one.

[M]y also-first-ever Achaemenid siglos, Artaxerxes I -Xerxes II (455-420 BCE).

image.jpeg.e4abd0c04cae2aaaa9b22d2b1e80005a.jpeg

Just, Just, Thank you, @CPK, for every first and last thing, along with the ones in between; and @Restitutor, for setting up the Cabinet in the first place.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

@JeandAcre Thank you for the kind words! I'm so glad that you like the coin! 👍

Yes, the flips I use are all PVC-free. The one from CNG is not, I believe. 

I find I prefer typing up my own information papers. I like the uniform look it gives my collection, and often I can add details that the dealer flips leave out. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Excellent, thank you @Restitutor!!

Definitely helps, thanks - though it's still an issue that you have to drill all the way down to a bottom level category for the filters to operate.  Is it possible to make it so you can list all the ads in Ancients, say, and filter by wanted/for sale?  (If not, then a top level "wanted" category would be the best solution, I think.  Or failing that, at least a separate "Wanted" category for each of Ancients, World, Supplies & Lit, and Artifacts.)

Thanks, @Restitutor!  I know it must be tough to keep on top of all the requests, we need to be patient!  (Maybe it would help to pin a "suggestions box" thread for this kind of thing?)  In any case I hope you feel good about all the enthusiasm and time people are investing in this great new forum!

So I've spent a good amount of time digging through the available options as I do like the suggestion, but unfortunately, outside of hiring a developer, there's no way to do this in the way that is being recommended. My coding abilities have hit a wall with this.

However, one way to do this would be to splice The Cabinet categories. So, rather than seeing 'Ancient Coins' and 'World Coins' you'd see 'For Sale' and 'Wanted. However, it would mean that visually, everything is doubled as you'll have to have a 'For Sale, Roman Imperial', and a 'Wanted, Roman Imperial', etc etc. I'm hesitant to go this route as it would become quite cluttered, but if there's enough support, it is doable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restitutor said:

So I've spent a good amount of time digging through the available options as I do like the suggestion, but unfortunately, outside of hiring a developer, there's no way to do this in the way that is being recommended. My coding abilities have hit a wall with this.

However, one way to do this would be to splice The Cabinet categories. So, rather than seeing 'Ancient Coins' and 'World Coins' you'd see 'For Sale' and 'Wanted. However, it would mean that visually, everything is doubled as you'll have to have a 'For Sale, Roman Imperial', and a 'Wanted, Roman Imperial', etc etc. I'm hesitant to go this route as it would become quite cluttered, but if there's enough support, it is doable. 

Bummer!  The software here is great but I guess it’s not infinitely flexible, geez. 🙃 😄 

Maybe we can try the splice and see how we feel about it?  (Pretty sure it would still be better overall.) We could always change back, yes?

Thanks, as always, @Restitutor!

P.S. It is weird the software won’t allow a multiple-checkbox viewing option for classified categories, like it does for viewing forum categories. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 1

I am leaning toward the idea of just creating one singular 'Wanted' category like the Ancient Coins, World Coins, etc etc. It wouldn't be bifurcated into the different sections to not eat up real estate, so you'd be perusing all the wanted listings, but it would ensure that the actual category categories only have For Sale items, and maybe having all the wanted ads in one place would make it more likely to get a hit from someone looking to sell an item, vs. having to search each individual category for someone with a Wanted ad. Wow, that was a run on sentence! 😂

• Like 2
  • Yes 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

22 hours ago, Restitutor said:

I am leaning toward the idea of just creating one singular 'Wanted' category like the Ancient Coins, World Coins, etc etc. It wouldn't be bifurcated into the different sections to not eat up real estate, so you'd be perusing all the wanted listings, but it would ensure that the actual category categories only have For Sale items, and maybe having all the wanted ads in one place would make it more likely to get a hit from someone looking to sell an item, vs. having to search each individual category for someone with a Wanted ad. Wow, that was a run on sentence! 😂

Wow, @Restitutor, you been reading a lot of German philosophy lately?  (There's some Schadenfreude here, since, after too much Kierkegaard, even in translation, I do a lot of the same thing.)  Really, though, I like this a lot.  A fringe benefit is that it might broaden some people's horizons, just a little.  Always fun when that happens to me, for one.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Smile 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, Restitutor said:

I see you went ahead and made this change, @Restitutor, as well as some other edits.  I think it's fabulous now, thank you!!!

image.jpeg.d2f943fa17aeea9cbebc8b605caed90e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:23 AM, Curtisimo said:

This is an excellent feature and a great use of “The Cabinet” for a name @Restitutor.

I know most users probably visit the site on a PC so I always feel silly being the one to always bring up the mobile UI. :classic_blush: Below is what I see on mobile. 
F6E7AC62-3948-4E3E-A632-1FD8A73D7475.thumb.png.9b4fe8f040005e052c38075dfe5d5f00.png

Not easy to see the photos at a glance. Is it possible to orient the listings to scroll up and down on mobile so the photos will show better? Also I know it’s possible I’m just missing something. 🤓

I read through the pages here and this post seemed to be closest to my issue. I see this on both laptop and phone. I thought I recalled seeing more of a gallery view a week or three ago.

I liked that a lot better. If "The Cabinet" gets more populated with listings, it will be pretty difficult using the < and > arrows to view ALL items. Even if we are just looking at just one category.

I don't use a smartphone but have one set up with my wifi for on the go browsing once in a while.

I have successfully traded on "The Cabinet" and I so much appreciate it. Being new to ancients, I don't think I will be getting a bad or fake coin here. I think it's my safest place to buy for now.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, Restitutor said:

Hi NumisHeads,

Update to The Cabinet has been made to show images in full now in the previews. So, you will now see both the obverse and reverse of the coins in full. 

-Res

Excellent update! Thanks Res.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 2 weeks later...

'The Cabinet' has helped me pick up some nice additions to my Kashmir set recently after placing a "wanted" advert...

Both packages arrived today!

Firstly @Ryro...A sweet looking Jaga deva with lovely detail and patina also great relief on this coin. He had also thrown in a spiral fossil and some sharks teeth from around the Black Sea area! Alas one of the fossils was smashed to pieces in transit but the other remained intact😁 ....Thank you Ryan very welcome pieces into my collection..

20220705_140354.jpg.01a90de1d0a0f09bcac6c2cfe8d7e948.jpg

20220705_140412.jpg.3d9b4f178c5f63f993058627c1103991.jpg20220705_140422.jpg.016a2151aaec2d8695745b7b9bc412b7.jpg

20220705_135856.jpg.fa9edbc194f311a3e766801f01c5fe51.jpg

Secondly @Sulla80...We had some fun negotiating over a few days😉"you made me laugh" 🤣 . I'm so pleased to have added the Ananta deva with again beautiful detail and a lovely chocolate brown patina. When I opened the package, what a lovely gesture too as a couple of extra coins had been added a Didda rani and Kalasa!...Thank you Matteo much appreciated.

20220705_140455.jpg.0b5f0bf3e1309c377c639274ac963b85.jpg

20220705_140528.jpg.94d10accc4e842dcd62385f04a38866d.jpg

Would just like to say to both of you "Thanks"....

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 7
  • Clap 3

@Spaniard (and, of course, @Ryro), your Kashmir stuff is Brilliant. 

Before joining this forum, I knew exactly zero about the series (pl.) in this amazing part of the world.  Thanks to both of you, progress is being made.  Glacial, but substantive --especially compared to nothing!

Meanwhile, I just bought my second coin from the Cabinet.  The very first Charles I shilling I ever owned; 1635-6; crown mintmark.

43AF2547-3BC0-4E51-B3B7-C715E29DA54A.jpeg.5091acd70473b83556159a0c5e9da3f1.jpeg

The reverse is resisting an easy copy and paste, but you can see it from the cabinet.  Just for openers, an early Stuart shilling with that much of the profile struck up should already make you sit up in your chair.  Between that, both legends, and all that glorious heraldic detail on the reverse, the minor flan flaw gets a seat in the peanut gallery.  ...I'm inspired to revisit some favorite (sic) Donne and Herbert poetry, from English-major days.

And the magnanimity of  @GregH's terms was easily on the same level as @CPK's, regarding his comparably amazing 5th c. BCE tetradrachm of Athens. 

...Buying stuff from fellow collectors is FUN!  @Restitutor, you are due renewed, no less cordial thanks for your sheer vision in including this in the website from the get-go.  

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 9

I wish there were more listings for us poor folk.

Surely you guys have "nice" inexpensive duplicates of those coins us beginners would love. I trust members here a lot more than online bidding.

I'd post in the wanted section but don't know enough to ask for anything in particular. It won't hurt to put up coins whether they sell or not. I check for new listings once or twice everyday at least.

Just a voice in the crowd.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

53 minutes ago, thenickelguy said:

I wish there were more listings for us poor folk.

Surely you guys have "nice" inexpensive duplicates of those coins us beginners would love. I trust members here a lot more than online bidding.

I'd post in the wanted section but don't know enough to ask for anything in particular. It won't hurt to put up coins whether they sell or not. I check for new listings once or twice everyday at least.

Just a voice in the crowd.

Pending the results of current auctions, I may have a few affordable duplicates to sell from third century Roman emperors (an area where I’m actively upgrading). I’ll put them in the cabinet for sale when available.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

2 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

...Would anyone have the time, for one, to do this with LRBs?  

Betting money I don't have that that could get lots of attention, not just from @thenickelguy and, um, yours truly.

I've been slowly but steadily working on attributing and labeling some more LRB coins to put up for sale. 😉

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

• 2 weeks later...

This regards the second, resonantly brilliant foray I've made into the Cabinet as a buyer.  Here's the link.  (@Restitutor, could you open it up so that I could give the transaction a rating?  --Same with the equally memorable Athens tetradrachm from @CPK?)

I need to just paste some of what I wrote @GregH about it.

Got the shilling today.  I am quietly but profoundly ecstatic.

Yikes.  Let's start with how it is in hand.  Started with the obverse, since that was what was showing from the flip.  As noted before, for anything in my frame of reference for Charles I, the detail on the profile is exceptional.  --From this example, it's very evident how low-relief the engraving was in the first place.  And I really, really like the lettering style; it's almost as iconic, never mind distinctive, as either Julio-Claudian or Carolingian legends.  And the lace collar (thank you, ubiquitous in contemporaneous painting) is even more resonantly connotive of the (relatively brief) period.  Yes, what I can remember of my favorite Metaphysical poets is playing in my head --Herbert no less than Donne.  

...Gestalt moment: It's Just So Great.  More broadly --literally-- it's been years on end since I've had a shilling of Elizabeth or James I --right, never one of Charles.  And the module is just, Wild.  ...Thank you, the earlier medieval I collect that much more of  runs pretty ubiquitously to deniers and their variants, along with the occasional fraction.  We're talking anywhere from 20 to 10 mm.  This is, Yeah, Wild.  It's palpably larger than an American half dollar.  That in itself is lighting up some unfamiliar synapses!

...And when I turned it over --you have my word and bond-- the detail on the coat of arms elicited an involuntary gasp.  I did look up the auction page, and can confirm that your photography is better than the auction house's, by an order of magnitude or two.  (Along with, ahem, the magnanimity of your asking price ...not to mention shipping!  The note you included is no less duly appreciated.)  ...But it really takes seeing it in person to fully appreciate the detail, especially with that beautiful, even, deep gray toning.

Yeah, so I guess this means,

Thank you, That Much [end of quote].

In my part of the world, anyone who does collect anything along these lines pretty much keeps to themselves.  It's impossible to overemphasize how gratifying, and just fun, it is to actually buy stuff from fellow collectors.  In that, as in every other way, this forum is restoring my faith in what the internet was supposed to be about in the first place.  Thanks again, @GregH, and @Restitutor, for making it possible.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2