I Just Received My First 2 Denarii Ever! (Trajan and Hadrian)

jfp7375

7 hours ago, Alegandron said:

This was my first Denarius...

I bought it directly from the Rome Mint when they first issued it...  Oh, wait.  My Grandkids think that I am that old...

[IMG]
RR
M Furius LF Philus
AR Denarius
119 BCE
Janus
Trophy Carnyx
Cr 281-1 Sear 156

Was it part of your 119 B.C. Proof Set? 😜

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

Absolutely those two are worth their own post, @jfp7375! Congrats on your first step into a rewarding hobby / challenging addiction... depending on who in the family's talking about the money spent... 😁

It took me a long while to get a Trajan denarius for some weird reason.  This portrait bears the aegis and I think the Genius on the reverse kinda looks like Trajan too!  (I wanted this reverse type as a predecessor to Diocletian's new follis/nummus.)

image.thumb.jpeg.3c956c23948f87769c18d28ff72ecef3.jpeg

This rather unusual portrait of Hadrian really drew me:

image.thumb.jpeg.1cbaf2eee81ca019cad6ef1ed9fcb5dc.jpeg

And here's a transition between the two, part of Hadrian's first issue while he was still trying to assert power after a somewhat questionable adoption procedure:

image.thumb.jpeg.bc957a4f865d8bb7feca946996a24aeb.jpeg

He really plays up the family relationship in the legends: son of the divine Trajan, son of the conqueror of the Parthians, and grand-son of the divine Nerva.

Finally, I'm pretty sure this Elagabalus was my first ever denarius; certainly among my first half dozen Roman coins.  It was a present from my grandmother around 1984-85.  I thought it was amazing!  Still like it very much. 😊 Perhaps it's responsible for me not caring as much as most other collectors about centring for many years!  I care more now, and I note your two new coins are beautifully centred.  Was that something you were paying special attention to?

image.thumb.jpeg.7d5c2627e809034fde9fd8908efca6c4.jpeg

I look forward to taking a new photo of this coin.

• Like 6

• Benefactor
7 hours ago, jfp7375 said:

Those are some great coins my friend. Love the presentation as well, do you catalog all your coins this way?

Thank you for your kind words. I’ve started featuring my Roman denarii this way and it‘s fun. I‘ve got more work to do.

• Like 1