Greek coins from Magna Graecia

antwerpen2306

A coin from a town with a beautiful name : Lokroi Epizephirioi, founded by the Lokri Opuntii, one of the three tribes of the Lokri, living near the Thermopylai in Greece. The name Epizephiroi means : epi : on and Zephuros : the wind coming from the west.

image.png.f32423c13631ba7aa4fa9b2aa943e0c3.png

AR Drachme

Head of Aphrodits l. with her hair in a sakkos

Pegasos flying l. 

HN Italy 2343, 15 mm, 2.42 gr, 7 h.

350-275 BC

• Like 10

The town Rhegion was founded by Chalcidians, together with Messenians between 744-724 BC (Eusebius) or 742-722 BC (Thucydides). About 494 BC, By the fall of their town Milesians fled to South Italy and Sicily and are supposed to have imported then the image of the lions'head.

image.png.b14f49109cbd6db1603965585a7c365b.png

AR Litra.

head of a lion facing

large PH within sprig of 2 olive leaves with 2 olives

10 mm, 0.68 gr, 7 h.

hnItaly2499

415-387 BC.

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

normal_Herakleia_01_.jpg.945551eee81b1f6955ba40bec43d0337.jpg

Lucania, Herakleia
Æ14, 3rd century BC
Obv.: Draped bust of Athena right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet.
Rev.: HPAKΛEIΩN, Female(?) marin divinity with human upper part of the body right, round shield in left hand, spear over shoulder; in field left, thunderbolt.
Æ, 2.45g, 13.6mm
Ref.: SNG Cop. 1142, Weber Coll. 724 var. (star on rev.).

normal_Neapolis_1.jpg.977b292851d963ad258cfe0055880a97.jpg

Neapolis
Didrachm
Obv.: Head of Nymph Parthenope, wearing broad headband, earring and necklace, ΣTA below, behind, bunch of grapes.
Rev.: Man-headed bull walking r., crowned by Nike, K below, in exergue, NEOPOLIT[HS].
Ref.: SNG ANS 354

• Like 6

Lucania, Thourioi.

The city was first founded on the ald site of the destroyed Sybaris, but was shortly after moved near to a source named Thouria, wich gives here name. The town was founded between 446-443 BC.

Pericles had the intention to found a panhellenic colony. Between the first colonist were Herodotos the historian, Lysias the orator and the laws were written by the philosopher Protagoras.

The coins of this new town is a combination of old and new images and influenced the South Italian coins for a long time.

The obverse introduced the head of Athena with Attic helmet, the reverse had variants of the old  theme of the Sybaritic bull.

The first brass coins were minted on the continent around the same time (440), first in Thourioi and Rhegion and quickly after in the others Greek towns

AR Stater

head of Athena r. with Attic helmet

Thourioon, bull r. in exergue tuna fish

20 mm, 7.9 gr, 7 h, circa 420/400 BC

SNGAns906, BMCItaly7

image.png.00792db4500fad2d44358690baf02591.png

• Like 5

Tarentum 

AR Nomos,

Kelmed warrior on horse left, holding shield ornamented with eight-rayed star and 2 spears behind him

Taras astride dolphin left, holding distaff and bunch of grapes, ANΘ / TAΡAΣ

20 mm,6.3 gr,7h,281-272 BC

Vlasto 792

The shield with an eight-rayed star is typical for North-Greece and gives a very precise date, the period of Pyrrhos of Epeiros

image.png.2a13e899c73d6ecf0f243adeab08f12c.pngimage.png.06d3114baeb793de484e548b1c7d8e36.png

AR Obol

Scallop shell

Dolphin right, thunderbolt

10 mm, 0.6 gr, 12 h, 325-280 <bc

Vlasto 1506.

image.png.dc0097265d5b71f3d06992a9f054c7fc.png

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 6/18/2022 at 12:13 PM, antwerpen2306 said:

two other coins from Krotoon :

first a triobol with Pagasos on the reverse, ca 480-440 BC HNItaly 2127.

image.png.807bd67b5b651cdb487ccdebcc8fed99.png

These Kroton triobols with Pegasus are particularly interesting to me because of the never mentioned matter of the resemblance to coins of Corinth even including the Q under the Pegasus in many cases.  I would appreciate knowing what has been published on these.  They might seem to be a coin of alliance.  Are we to take that solo Q to mean Kroton rather than Corinth? g10285fd3338.jpg.66af48e6952db7cf6eb0499bdcc3d1cc.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, dougsmit said:

These Kroton triobols with Pegasus are particularly interesting to me because of the never mentioned matter of the resemblance to coins of Corinth even including the Q under the Pegasus in many cases.  I would appreciate knowing what has been published on these.  They might seem to be a coin of alliance.  Are we to take that solo Q to mean Kroton rather than Corinth? g10285fd3338.jpg.66af48e6952db7cf6eb0499bdcc3d1cc.jpg

Very cool, @dougsmit!  Has your research yielded a date for this coin?  I see that when they're dated specifically (as opposed to waving at a century) it's usually 430-420 i.e. near the beginning of the second phase of the Pelopponesian War.  An alliance seems probable... just a decade earlier Perikles of Athens had helped out Kroton's mortal enemies, the Sybarites, found a new colony at Thurii.  With Corinth playing a major part vs. Athens early on in the conflict, I'm sure Kroton would be keen to help them out.  (I happen to have been thinking about this after posting my Thurii in @Curtisimo's neat Kroton thread... would be worth posting your coin there.  I know Curtis will love the toning too!)

Actually, I see above that @antwerpen2306 posted a nice Thurii stater.  Here's my diobol, c. 443-400:

image.jpeg.d450d427279558a6c0fc214c6cb8e47d.jpeg

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 6

@dougsmitmany Greek colonies in South Italy had very close economical ties with Syracuse, a colony from Corinth. So these towns made coins, easily to recognize and change with Syracusian coins.

Some colonies had two kinds of coins: coins for trade with 'international' towns and coins for local trade. Lokroi Epizephirioi had coins with Pegasus for 'international' trade and coins with local types as Zeus, Eirene or an eagle for trade with the cities surrounding. They had also two standards for the coin : local and Corinthian. 

• Like 1

Sicily, Himera.

Himera was founded by the Sicilian town Zankle, later named Messana. The date of the foundation is given by Diodoros, saying that the town is destroyed by the Cartago in the summer of 408 BC. He also says people lived there during 240 years, so the date is 648 BC. It was the only Greek town an the north coast, in the Carthagean area of the island.

AR Litra

image.png.711ced958c24860279af570a7c93bc01.pngimage.png.ff8413938f8b7a14e07a60bbd9116a48.png

Forepart of a human-headed monster left

IMERAION , nude male riding goat left, holding goat's horn and lagobolon

12 mm, 0.73 gr, 6 h, 470-450 BC

SNGAns 173

There is no explanation for this coin. Some details are also on other coins of Himera as the feathers (a rooster on coins).

image.png.4068d57afdaee267312e575b67765057.png

AE 17, hemilitron

Head of nymph Himera left with 6 pellets in front of face

Six pellets in 2 rows within laurel wreath

17 mm, 3.78 gr, 9 h, 420-408 BC

SNGAns186

It is difficult to date accurately Sicilian coins, because there are no hoards, well dated, but minting began circa 540 BC and for the Doric towns circa 520/510. There were at the same time obols and litrae : the Syracusian system, token from Athens with a drachm = 6 obols, wich became the standard for Sicily because the domination of Syracuse. The original mint in Sicily was the same as in Rome later based on a litra = Roman libra. The relation silver-brass : 1:120 facilitates the change : 1 Syracusian drachm = 5 litra. This simple change leaded to a new silver coin circa 465 BC : the litra = 1 pound brass = 1/5 drachm. The litra replaced the obol and circa 430/420 a new coin was created : the tetra = 1/4 litra = 3 onkiai. 

The conversion litra to obol was not difficult : 1 obol = 10 onkiai (Lat. unciae) and 1 litra = 12 onkiai , so the Hexas ( Hemilitron) = 2 onkiai = 1/6 litra was the coin needed for change. About 430/420 BC, the obol was completely replaced by the litra and a new coin was created : the tetra = 1/4 litra = 3 onkiai.

At the same time, small denominations in brass were created with a fixed value : the fiat money was created.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, antwerpen2306 said:

Sicily, Himera.

Himera was founded by the Sicilian town Zankle, later named Messana. The date of the foundation is given by Diodoros, saying that the town is destroyed by the Cartago in the summer of 408 BC. He also says people lived there during 240 years, so the date is 648 BC. It was the only Greek town an the north coast, in the Carthagean area of the island.

AR Litra

image.png.711ced958c24860279af570a7c93bc01.pngimage.png.ff8413938f8b7a14e07a60bbd9116a48.png

Forepart of a human-headed monster left

IMERAION , nude male riding goat left, holding goat's horn and lagobolon

12 mm, 0.73 gr, 6 h, 470-450 BC

SNGAns 173

There is no explanation for this coin. Some details are also on other coins of Himera as the feathers (a rooster on coins).

image.png.4068d57afdaee267312e575b67765057.png

AE 17, hemilitron

Head of nymph Himera left with 6 pellets in front of face

Six pellets in 2 rows within laurel wreath

17 mm, 3.78 gr, 9 h, 420-408 BC

SNGAns186

It is difficult to date accurately Sicilian coins, because there are no hoards, well dated, but minting began circa 540 BC and for the Doric towns circa 520/510. There were at the same time obols and litrae : the Syracusian system, token from Athens with a drachm = 6 obols, wich became the standard for Sicily because the domination of Syracuse. The original mint in Sicily was the same as in Rome later based on a litra = Roman libra. The relation silver-brass : 1:120 facilitates the change : 1 Syracusian drachm = 5 litra. This simple change leaded to a new silver coin circa 465 BC : the litra = 1 pound brass = 1/5 drachm. The litra replaced the obol and circa 430/420 a new coin was created : the tetra = 1/4 litra = 3 onkiai. 

The conversion litra to obol was not difficult : 1 obol = 10 onkiai (Lat. unciae) and 1 litra = 12 onkiai , so the Hexas ( Hemilitron) = 2 onkiai = 1/6 litra was the coin needed for change. About 430/420 BC, the obol was completely replaced by the litra and a new coin was created : the tetra = 1/4 litra = 3 onkiai.

At the same time, small denominations in brass were created with a fixed value : the fiat money was created.

Very helpful comment, thanks @antwerpen2306!

Here's my litra from Messana:

image.jpeg.5aecc29afb35c2928628d8b54ced2b49.jpeg

I have this dated c. 445-421 BCE - SNG Cop. 410 (exact match, including leaf and gamma), HGC 814 (loose match).

• Like 6

@Severus Alexandernice coin, I have a similar.I think your date is correct, I didn't check mine, I purchased the coin by Naville in London, so I suppose it will be correct

image.png.63f049590f92f6ccd861a15814fbd259.png

AR Litra

Hare springing right, above M and below olive spray. 

MES across field, all within wreath.

13 mm, 0.76 gr, 6 h

c. 433-429 BC - Caltaniano 458, SNG Cop 412.

The olive spray and wreath is a reference to the wreath the winner received in the apene competition in the Olympic games. The apene was a low chariot, moved by 2 hinnis. This competition was introduced in the O.G. in 500 BC, but yet abolished in 444 BC because without dignity. Anaxilas had won one of these competitions and he was very proud.

So the hare can represent the velocity of Anaxilas'chariot or can also be choosen for his association with fertility and abundance.

Pollux ( Onomasticon 5.75) quotes Aristoteles who said that Anaxilas imported the hare in Sicily, mayby because the hunt of a haze was a favorite occupation for the aristocracy.

It was Anaxilas who gave the new name of Messana (Doric Greek for Messene) replacing the name Zankle after the harbour of Zankle in the form of a sickle ( Zankle in Greek).

• Like 6

I think the coinage of Greek Italy, Magna Graecia, to be the most beautiful of ancient coins. Whether they had their own skilled celators or brought them in from from mainland Greece, I find their coins simply lovely. Below are five examples of such beauty. From upper left a tetradrachma of Leontini with lion and ears of grain (Sear 825) 17.1 grams, ca. 450 BC.  Next a didrachma of Neapolis (Sear 299) at 7.2 grams., ca. 300 BC. The one on the far right is a stater of Metapontum with Demeter on obverse a grain ear on the reverse. (Sear 416) at 7.8 grams. ca. 320 BC.  On the bottom left a gorgeous Athena on a didrachma of Velia with a crouching lion on the reverse. (Sear 269) at 7.4 grams, ca. 300 BC.  And last a little drachma of Tarentum, Calabria with another Athena on the reverse and a familiar looking Attic owl n the reverse. (Sear 367) at 3.2 grams, ca. 290 BC.

IMG_2281 (1)mag grae obv.jpg

IMG_2282rev mag. grae..jpg

• Like 9

yes, I agree. I am now focussed on Magna Graecia and Roman Republican coins since a few years, but buying coins and antiquities is very hard when you are retired 😄 but I continue slowly, if my wife agrees 🤣

please show the coins of your collection, for me it is very relaxing.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, Alegandron said:

image.jpeg.c08220aa0fe699d6bb7b9b4180dc3a39.jpeg

Sicily Kalakte AE unit 2nd C BCE Head Athena in Helmet - Owl rev R

This to me always was too  close to the NewStyle type to be an accident. I view it as the Greeks in Kalakte showing off their Greek credentials, snubbing the nose of the powerful Romans. We are part of the GREEK KOINON, not you!

NSK=John

ir 

• Benefactor

Amazing coins, gang ... man, this is a very nice thread

=> here is another group of my cool stevex-amples ... 2 from Lucania, 1 from Messana and 3 from Tarentum ...

Lucania Thourioi Skylla and Bull AR Nomos.jpg

Lucania Velia AR Nomos.jpg

Sicily Messana.jpg

Calabria Tarentum AR Drachm.jpg

Calabria Tarentum Kantharos.jpg

Calabria Tarentum.jpg

Swish!! ... nuthin' but net!

🙃

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Amazing coins, gang ... man, this is a very nice thread

=> here is another group of my cool stevex-amples ... 2 from Lucania, 1 from Messana and 3 from Tarentum ...

Lucania Thourioi Skylla and Bull AR Nomos.jpg

Lucania Velia AR Nomos.jpg

Sicily Messana.jpg

Calabria Tarentum AR Drachm.jpg

Calabria Tarentum Kantharos.jpg

Calabria Tarentum.jpg

Swish!! ... nuthin' but net!

🙃

Steve: Since you have a Tarentine drachma similar to mine, especially the reverse with a very Attic looking owl, I wonder if you could comment on something. In most references, with the notable exception of Arnold Toynbee, Tarentum or Taras is said to have been a Doric, Spartan colony. The owls on these coins look very much like the Attic "owls" of Fifth to Third century BC Athens. Why would a Doric speaking colony put an Athenian looking owl of their coinage ca. 300 BC? Anyone, any thoughts on this?