Post a coin you've never posted before!

kirispupis

• Benefactor

New addition. I really enjoy these old Spanish coins.

BF86DD71-19BE-4523-A4A9-DCD854D18FBD.jpeg.19b59b8653cb97585a7ec9a765755886.jpeg

Spanish Kingdoms of Castile & León, Ferdinand II of Aragon (as Ferdinand V of Castile & León) & Isabella I of Castile, Silver 4 Reales (13.69g, 35mm), Seville mint circa 1479-1504 AD. Obverse: Shield of Arms of King Ferdinand II ‘the Catholic’ (pre 1513 AD version) surmounted by royal crown, mintmark “S” to left field, mark of value “o IIII” to right field, inner beaded border and legend surrounds, “FERNANDVS: E[T· E]LISABET [D GR]” (ND of FERNANDVS ligated). Reverse: Garlanded Yoke of Isabella over bundle of six arrows of Ferdinand, within inner lined and beaded border, legend beginning with initial mark Cross Potent surrounds, “REX· ET [R]EGINAA· CA[ST] · LEGIO[N· A]RAGON”. Calicó-561. Typical weakness of strike in parts, interestingly with incorrect spelling of ‘REGINA’, largely complete through the central devices and with clear naming of Ferdinand and reverse titulature, a notable example, near Extremely Fine for issue. 

• Like 13
  • Popcorn 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:02 PM, filolif said:

I have quite a few coins I've never posted but I've recently been taking more videos and photos of them to share.

MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC). AR tetradrachm (27mm, 17.13 gm, 10h) . Late lifetime-early posthumous issue of Aradus, ca. 328-320 BC. Head of Heracles right, wearing lion skin headdress, paws tied before neck / AΛEΞANΔPOY-BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Zeus enthroned left, left leg drawn back, feet on ground line, eagle in right hand, scepter in left; ΣΩ monogram in left field, AP monogram below strut. Price 3321.

Lovely 

• Heart Eyes 1

Great thread @kirispupis! I'm sad to have missed this a few days ago when I wasn't online. I thought that I might add one anyway - hope you like it!

Here is my silver penny of Edward I (I think). Admittedly, I know extremely little about the coin or of the period it came from. That is something that I hope to change. (Does anyone know anything about this coin?)

Anyway, here it is:

Screenshot2023-02-1313_30_04.png.ae8553647f53bee6f8b8a099516ca97e.png

Edward I “Longshanks” Penny (1272-1307)

Here is a little info:

Edward I is credited with many accomplishments during his reign, including restoring royal authority after the reign of Henry III, establishing Parliament as a permanent institution and thereby also a functional system for raising taxes and reforming the law through statutes.

In the reign of King Edward I, this was the largest coin struck for regular usage. It was of such high quality silver that many were exported, melted down and then lower grade counterfeits or 'Sterlings' were issued. This was of course illegal and the penalty was death.

Born: 1239

Died: 1307

Royal house: Plantagenet

O: Bust of Edward I

R: Long cross with three pellets in each quarter

Coin Material: Silver

Dia: 20mm

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2