Waiting on coins from four different dealers

Roman Collector

So the two I had stuck at international departure airports have now both moved - in opposite directions. The one from UK has now scanned at NY customs, one week after UK departure scan, and the one from Germany - despite no tracking update on the USPS site - now shows "returned to sender" (no reason given) on the Deutsche Post site. The post office moves in mysterious ways!

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1

I have several packages on the way but only 1 from overseas- from NAC. I've never bought directly through NAC before but when given the option of FedEx vs registered post, I chose registered post. For one thing, registered post was only 30 CHF v.s. their FedEx charge being 150 CHF. Also with the recent FedEx shenanigans I've heard about of them charging "import document fees" that were substantial and basically made up, I figured registered post was better to avoid those BS corporate charges from FedEx. I've also never had any issues getting ancient coins from anywhere overseas if it was sent registered post. 

• Like 6

I actually took the plunge and ordered some coins from one of the orange AE dealers. This one is from the glitzy city in the desert, not the Canadian one.  This dealer actually has quite a few decent deals on certain numimatic genres.  One or two of the unimportant throw-in AE's may or may not have a fake patina, but for $6-9, one can't squawk.  It didn't seem to be the outrageous orange kind of patina.

The main coin is high grade (aXF) by wear, but is crystalized and chipping on certain spots on the reverse.

I'll just play on the safe side and assume about a month for arrival.

I had been planning on ordering Germanicus.  Oh well.  Maybe next order.

• Like 4

On 6/6/2022 at 12:28 AM, David Atherton said:

I've had a coin stuck at Heathrow since 26 May. I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about this one ...

Thankfully, this one actually arrived safe and sound this morning with very little tracking info until yesterday. I'll be posting it here later tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 5

Well, this is a new one for me ... The coin that showed on the Deutsche Post site as "returned to sender", and at that point (couple of days ago) wasn't showing up on the USPS tracking site at all, was delivered to me (in US) today!

The USPS site now shows US tracking starting at the Queens, NY distribution center, with the package never having been scanned at US customs on arrival! The Deutsche Post site has now been updated, and instead of "Returned to sender" now says "It was not possible to reach the recipient; the item was scanned on 09.06.2022. The item is either being delivered in United States of America or being held for pick-up.". Ho hum.

Although it's not really my nature, I've learned to be quite zen about my incoming coin mail. They may arrive months late, or zig zag across the atlantic or USA for no fathomable reason, or even show bogus "returned to sender" status, but at the end of the day they do arrive!

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

As a dealer I have stuff arriving all the time.  But, I often lose track (and I am sure I have had losses I am unaware of).  Its always fun though, to get a package months late when you had forgotten about it!  Works both ways sometimes.  On occasion something arrives and I shake my head and wonder, "Why would I have possibly bid on these?"

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

Here is Cayon's response to my latest email about the fact that my package from the Feb. auction, sent in mid-April, has still not arrived:

"We are following the claim, and will ask about this shipment again.

Sometimes shipments use to take longer than expected… last year one shipment was missing and took five months
6 weeks is long, but not dramatic. This is not common… but sometimes happened. I have had more problems with Courier (Fed Ex) than regular mail.

It will be recommended also if you can check at general Service and also your post office about the shipment. Just in case they can do anything

We will try to get news and let you know. Anyway shipments are insured. But let´s keep still patience and faith."

So, nothing substantive other than confirming that the shipment was insured. So eventually I suppose I'll get my money back if the coin never arrives.

I can't imagine that checking at my local post office in NYC would accomplish anything. If they had my package that would mean it was correctly addressed, and they would have delivered it!

Also, I would be willing to bet a rather large sum of money that had Cayon sent the package via Fedex, I would have had it more than a month ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I can't imagine that checking at my local post office in NYC would accomplish anything. If they had my package that would mean it was correctly addressed, and they would have delivered it!

Yes, assuming it's somewhere in the US, I'd guess NY customs or some distribution center is more likely. You could try submitting a missing mail claim with the USPS (which you can do online), which in theory will initiate a search process to attempt to find it. They may ask for a physical description of what the package looks like.

Otherwise it seems they must do a sweep of the various mail centers from time to time to find stuff that has been misplaced. I have had things just spontaneously show up many months late once or twice.

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Yes, assuming it's somewhere in the US, I'd guess NY customs or some distribution center is more likely. You could try submitting a missing mail claim with the USPS (which you can do online), which in theory will initiate a search process to attempt to find it. They may ask for a physical description of what the package looks like.

Otherwise it seems they must do a sweep of the various mail centers from time to time to find stuff that has been misplaced. I have had things just spontaneously show up many months late once or twice.

Unfortunately, one really needs a tracking number for a missing mail claim, and since the USPS doesn't follow Spanish tracking numbers, I'm not sure that filing such a claim would serve any purpose.

43 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Unfortunately, one really needs a tracking number for a missing mail claim, and since the USPS doesn't follow Spanish tracking numbers, I'm not sure that filing such a claim would serve any purpose.

I don't know ... I have submitted a missing mail claim for a Spanish registered mail item, and they did accept it, but to this day they've failed to realize that they themselves returned it to the sender as undeliverable, so it wasn't a very successful outcome as far as search goes !

• Shock 1

• Benefactor

Notification regarding US Customs inbound and outbound status does not usually appear on the USPS tracking.  When the tracking status indicates that a shipment is being processed though the Jamaica International Sort Center (aka JFK) that includes US Customs.  

Now, my understanding with US Customs is that a notification will appear ("Inbound Customs" or something like that) if a shipment has been selected for further examination.  No other information will be forthcoming until the shipment is released by US Customs ("Outbound Customs).  Between those two notices there's no status information, even if the shipment has been detained.  Generally if something has been in US Customs for two weeks they are required to send the sender and recipient a letter, which in my case last year was a letter of detention.  

Still, I prefer to use regular "snail mail" due to cost plus a pretty good reliability record overall.  In all the years (decades) of mail deliveries, one coin disappeared when a mail truck was robbed.  Another coin was stolen from my external mail box (I changed that to a slot many years ago).  Still another coin got temporary waylaid during that upheaval in the summer of 2020, when the sorting machines were yanked by the head of the Postal Service.  I have up on the coin's arrival after a few months and got a refund.  About a year later it showed up at the seller's address in Israel!  

I have had a few coins sent by DHL Express.  The service was quick, very trackable, and expensive, but the coin cost $1,500 so I suppose the cost was justified.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Notification regarding US Customs inbound and outbound status does not usually appear on the USPS tracking.  When the tracking status indicates that a shipment is being processed though the Jamaica International Sort Center (aka JFK) that includes US Customs.  

I've only had that one, out of hundreds, not get tracked through NY.

Here's what it looks like for one currently in transit.

image.png.fe07d0349b07647e3df372875fd606a2.png

I wonder why yours are not getting scanned at ISC NEW YORK ?

• Like 2

Nothing coming at the moment, but I do have my eye on a nice unreduced nummus from Aquilea in my watch list and I'm considering pulling the trigger.  Hopefully it will sit a little longer so I can wait for the budget refresh day haha. 

• Like 1

Another first for me (or at least it's been so long I can't remember) ... the above package, mailed from UK 3 days ago, just arrived though my front door here in US today! Just regular registered mail. This must be the post office equivalent of driving down the strip and hitting 10 green lights in a row! 🙂

• Like 4

15 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Now, my understanding with US Customs is that a notification will appear ("Inbound Customs" or something like that) if a shipment has been selected for further examination.  No other information will be forthcoming until the shipment is released by US Customs ("Outbound Customs).  Between those two notices there's no status information, even if the shipment has been detained.  Generally if something has been in US Customs for two weeks they are required to send the sender and recipient a letter, which in my case last year was a letter of detention.  

Still, I prefer to use regular "snail mail" due to cost plus a pretty good reliability record overall.  In all the years (decades) of mail deliveries, one coin disappeared when a mail truck was robbed.  Another coin was stolen from my external mail box (I changed that to a slot many years ago).  Still another coin got temporary waylaid during that upheaval in the summer of 2020, when the sorting machines were yanked by the head of the Postal Service.  I have up on the coin's arrival after a few months and got a refund.  About a year later it showed up at the seller's address in Israel!  

I have had a few coins sent by DHL Express.  The service was quick, very trackable, and expensive, but the coin cost $1,500 so I suppose the cost was justified.

ISC is where customs is located. Once a package has arrived at an international distribution center (Jamaica, Chicago, etc...) you're golden. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

I've only had that one, out of hundreds, not get tracked through NY.

Here's what it looks like for one currently in transit.

image.png.fe07d0349b07647e3df372875fd606a2.png

I wonder why yours are not getting scanned at ISC NEW YORK ?

My most recent experience of an "inbound customs" notification occurred with the Qataban tetradrachm that was shipped from Canada.  My guess is that if such a notice is not part of the tracking, that the shipment, as indicated above that it cleared the ISC and the International Sort Center is a good sign that Customs did not slow it down, that it was probably given a cursory inspection and sent on its way.  When I saw the inbound customs notification, followed by a delay of three weeks, followed by the letter of detention, I knew I was in for a protracted period of uncertainty.  

Once a shipment goes into the US Customs system, it falls off the USPS tracking radar.  US Customs is an opaque system, with absolutely no status information posted online.  If one receives a letter of detention, one must provide documentation that will satisfy US Customs' requirements.  My situation was compounded by an incorrect telephone number.  I remember finally able to find the correct number, after considerable inquiring.  The agent that I talked to was nice, but he told me that he wasn't sure if the documents that I sent by certified mail were received, and that the coin was in Washington DC at the time.  So, I was given an email address, which I used to attach all of the documentation, including legal forms.  The saga dragged on for another week or two, and then bingo! the outbound customs notice appeared, and the coin arrived a few days later.

This is a long-winded account, but I think it illustrates when a customs notification may appear in the tracking.  Basically, I think, it means that the shipment is being looked at in more detail.  Perhaps the outcome could be an outbound notice in a few days, or it could be an indication of a more complicated situation.

• Shock 1

• Benefactor

Cayon Subastas must have gotten payment on its insurance claim for the coin it sent to me 2 1/2 months ago that never arrived, because Juan Cayon sent me an email yesterday asking for my banking information so that he could refund my money. He told me today that the bank transfer has been sent. I'm extremely glad to be getting a refund, because I had paid approximately 1,000 Euros (I got carried away!), but I'd still rather have the coin. I thought it was a beautiful example of a type (Mn. Aquillia; Apollo/Luna in biga) I had wanted for a long time:

image.jpeg.5a2dc8d2b33373fd300bbc2198e1cc91.jpeg

I can't help wondering if the coin was stolen. Someone on the Facebook ancient coin group mentioned that he also bought a coin in that same Cayon Subastas auction that never arrived in the USA from Spain. 

If anyone ever sees it offered for sale, please let me know!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Cayon Subastas must have gotten payment on its insurance claim for the coin it sent to me 2 1/2 months ago that never arrived, because Juan Cayon sent me an email yesterday asking for my banking information so that he could refund my money. He told me today that the bank transfer has been sent. I'm extremely glad to be getting a refund, because I had paid approximately 1,000 Euros (I got carried away!), but I'd still rather have the coin. I thought it was a beautiful example of a type (Mn. Aquillia; Apollo/Luna in biga) I had wanted for a long time:

That is very annoying. But at least you'll get your money back. That's a good thing. I've already had the case with friends (from Italy to Germany) that the sender didn't care - he said it was no longer his business, it was the transport company's fault. 

But I understand you - instead of the money, you would have preferred the beautiful coin. 

I will also keep an eye on it. A coin like that stands out.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Heliodromus said:

Another first for me (or at least it's been so long I can't remember) ... the above package, mailed from UK 3 days ago, just arrived though my front door here in US today! Just regular registered mail. This must be the post office equivalent of driving down the strip and hitting 10 green lights in a row! 🙂

I live in Florida and purchased some coins from the UK in early May. The tracking was virtually identical to yours at first: Langley > ISC New York > Jamaica, NY > Phillipsburg NJ... Then after about about ten days of silence, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia! Another ten days later, Los Angeles. Finally, after 5 weeks and some 25,000 miles, the parcel showed up in my mailbox. A real head-scratcher! 🤔

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, DonnaML said:

image.jpeg.5a2dc8d2b33373fd300bbc2198e1cc91.jpeg

I can't help wondering if the coin was stolen. Someone on the Facebook ancient coin group mentioned that he also bought a coin in that same Cayon Subastas auction that never arrived in the USA from Spain. 

If anyone ever sees it offered for sale, please let me know!

I'm glad that you received the refund. 

Who knows, it might still show up.  Stranger things things have happened in the world of global shipping.

I just saw this article online regarding a trucking strike in Spain that started in mid March.  

https://www.eseller365.com/spain-truck-driver-strike-usps-ups-fedex-impact/

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, DonnaML said:

Here is Cayon's response to my latest email about the fact that my package from the Feb. auction, sent in mid-April, has still not arrived:

"We are following the claim, and will ask about this shipment again.

Sometimes shipments use to take longer than expected… last year one shipment was missing and took five months
6 weeks is long, but not dramatic. This is not common… but sometimes happened. I have had more problems with Courier (Fed Ex) than regular mail.

It will be recommended also if you can check at general Service and also your post office about the shipment. Just in case they can do anything

We will try to get news and let you know. Anyway shipments are insured. But let´s keep still patience and faith."

So, nothing substantive other than confirming that the shipment was insured. So eventually I suppose I'll get my money back if the coin never arrives.

Also, I would be willing to bet a rather large sum of money that had Cayon sent the package via Fedex, I would have had it more than a month ago.

Donna, I also won a coin from Cayon's February sale that never arrived to me in New Jersey.  Spain's Correos tracking showed it departing on April 22 but nothing after that.  I contacted Cayon and they also told me they were filing a claim but no word of a refund yet.  Mine wasn't as valuable as yours - a run of the mill Tiberius denarius with a prominent scratch but still a bummer.

2022-02-28 Cayon 30731 Tiberius denarius.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cry 3

• Benefactor

Wow. So that's at least three people in the USA, including me, who won coins in that auction but never received them. I can't help thinking that there's something strange going on. Although regarding the trucking strike, I didn't see any mention of an effect on coins leaving Spain, only those arriving there. So who knows?  I think it's ironic that in the email he sent me this morning, Mr. Cayon, in addition to apologizing, said that this issue "is not common at all."  In my  opinion, 3+ coins gone missing from one auction is all too "common"!

By the way, I haven't actually received the refund yet; I was just told that it's on its way. If the transfer doesn't arrive at my bank by tomorrow, I may start to worry again!

• Like 1