LAC Vcoins contact issue

ValiantKnight

1 hour ago, Diplo41 said:

So you mean that they can answer if it is profitable for them? I am not sure to understand precisely.

I’m not implying this or making any other assumptions. Just for whatever reason they are able to reply back to your own replies to their automated emails sent to you such as after making a purchase. From my perspective, from what others have said, software/technological issues seem to possibly be a factor here. 

Edited by ValiantKnight

• Benefactor

Thanks to @YOTHR, I finally received a response from LAC to my two unanswered emails sent on Jan 2 and Jan 8. Here is LAC's explanation for not answering until now: "sorry for delay, i completely forgot to reply." So, not a technical issue!  To be fair, I did get an answer to my provenance question regarding my Constantine I nummus from the Chitry Hoard: LAC acquired it, along with some other Chitry Hoard coins, from CGB in France, which had purchased the hoard and still offers some specimens for sale.*

I highly doubt that LAC's apparently general non-responsiveness is attributable to its being a one-person operation or anything close to it. It consistently has the largest inventory of just about any V-Coins dealer, with the most new acquisitions, plus it also sells on Ebay and MA-Shops, plus it has a separate numismatic literature branch, plus it also holds auctions. I suspect that they've made a decision, for whatever reason, not to prioritize actual customer service, and to short-staff that aspect of their business. The fact that they're always prompt in sending email acknowledgements of purchases and shipments is irrelevant; I am quite sure that those communications are entirely automated.

*You can search for "Chitry Hoard" if you want to read my original post on the coin, which includes an explanation (from the book covering that hoard) of why the Chitry Hoard, unlike most such discoveries in France, was available for private acquisition: "The circumstances of the discovery, discussed at the beginning of the Preface to the Chitry Hoard section, are also of interest. Supposedly, on 7 Sep. 2007, an individual residing in a house built in 1792 found the coins, together with some 18th century tiles, in a niche he discovered behind a stone in a wall of the cellar beneath his house. This implied a prior 18th century discovery and re-deposit of the hoard. Under French law, this enabled the sale of the hoard to CGB, which deposited it with the Bibliothèque nationale for study before it was sold. M. Drost states that these claimed circumstances are 'unusual but not unthinkable,' expressing skepticism for various reasons."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1