Anyone grab any Triton coins? I managed to get one....

panzerman

1 minute ago, El Cazador said:

The thing I don’t understand if the previous sale shows $5K hammer, they relist it in the following auction at 2K, are you saying they shill bid and always go one increment above the underbidder? If so, why not just reach out to under bidder after sale and say , higher bidder didn’t pay, would you like to biy for the the price which was your final bid? Or you saying there are employees of the auction house that bid agains each other?

my suspicion (admittedly unsubstantiated) is that they have a minimum/reserve above which they buyback. it could be the consigner bidding on their own coin, it could be the auction house's coin with a reserve, it could be a ton of bad buyers (which I doubt), but in reality I have no idea. it's definitely hit a point where if I see a coin repeated at naumann I don't bother bidding again though.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

12 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

my suspicion (admittedly unsubstantiated) is that they have a minimum/reserve above which they buyback. it could be the consigner bidding on their own coin, it could be the auction house's coin with a reserve, it could be a ton of bad buyers (which I doubt), but in reality I have no idea. it's definitely hit a point where if I see a coin repeated at naumann I don't bother bidding again though.

I think your logic and observations are solid! 👍🏻

• Like 3

On 1/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, panzerman said:

I was thinking the same thing as those "Wildmen" were hammered down. I was really cheering you on to grab a few!

On the multiple whoever won it still got a "bargain". Heritage sold the same coin last year for $19,200. CNG sold for $12,500 plus the 22.5%. I dropped out before it hit 10K.

• Like 1

Only one, a bucket list coin. Perhaps the estimate was a bit high as I won it at the opening bid, which is a rarity for a Triton coin. However, I do appreciate the provenance, and it will be well-loved.

IRELAND, The Great Rebellion. Issues of the Lords Justices. 1642-1649. AR Crown (42mm, 29.74 g, 4h). ‘Ormonde Money’ issue. Issued 1643-1644. Large C R; crown above; all within linear and beaded border / Large V; S above; all within linear and beaded border. D&F 288; SCBC 6544. Toned, die break on obverse. VF. Ex P. Finn FPL 14 (1998), no. 510.

image.jpeg.9c33c86cda6ec1159884848238ea070b.jpeg

Edited by Edessa
  • Like 8