My 2022 top 20

panzerman

4 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

As usual some great coins in this selection. I would gladly pick the Russian ducat first, the James 1 unit and the Axumite in second and third

Thanks for sharing them John

Q

Thanks Q! Glad to share them with You and all others here.  I think that James I AV Unite was my first coin of 2022! Triton Auction.

• Clap 1

• Benefactor
On 1/7/2023 at 11:14 PM, panzerman said:

thanks. That was the first Dukat I had ever seen in auction. CNG once had a 3/4 Dukat from series in their auction. Friedberg list 10 diff. denominations from 10/ 8 Dukaten down to 1/4 Dukat/ all are super rare.  But then any 10 or 8 Dukaten coins in high quality are 6 figures. Seems the original strikes are unique or MIA. However from 1725 -1845/ the aristocrats in Czarist Russia had some rare pieces struck from  original dies at St. Petersburg Mint. The "Novodels" struck in tiny numbers would be then collected by Grand Dukes/ nobility. Most novodels are known from less then five examples today.

I’m afraid to know how much that set you back, but totally worth it! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Egry said:

I’m afraid to know how much that set you back, but totally worth it! 

I agree with you 100 percent. Nice thing is/ when you are down a bit/ what I do is sit down in the basement and look at these pieces of history just before bedtime. Usually have nice dreams after......

That coin was 6K including 20% fees/ in Euros = close to 9K Can. My Mother always regretted leaving Germany/ the crappy currency would be a good reason enough!!!! Canadians are at a huge disadvantage to rest of the World in their purchasing power. When we had a Conservative govt. back in 2010/ our money was over par with US$. That all went kaput with Trudeau.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
On 1/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, panzerman said:

I agree with you 100 percent. Nice thing is/ when you are down a bit/ what I do is sit down in the basement and look at these pieces of history just before bedtime. Usually have nice dreams after......

That coin was 6K including 20% fees/ in Euros = close to 9K Can. My Mother always regretted leaving Germany/ the crappy currency would be a good reason enough!!!! Canadians are at a huge disadvantage to rest of the World in their purchasing power. When we had a Conservative govt. back in 2010/ our money was over par with US$. That all went kaput with Trudeau.

$9k isn’t even that bad for that coin. I’d pay that in a heartbeat. If you come across another drop me a Pm.

Yep, I moved from Canada shortly after JT got into power. I’m not one to talk politics on this forum but I totally agree with you that he has been completely reckless with the the management of the country. FYI I’m from Sask originally so we are known not to be Trudeau supporters not PT or JT, so my comments may be biased. At least Pierre was intelligent, I’ll give him that. Politicians like JT are now a dime a dozen unfortunately. Here’s to hoping the pendulum swings back the other way. 

Edited by Egry
  • Like 1