Medieval mystery

Tejas

I was wondering if anybody here can identify the coin below. I think the coin dates to the late 9th century. There is very little of the legend visible, as is not so uncommon with late Carolingian coins. However, the coin may also be later, as these types often got immobilized. Anyway, if anybody has an informed guess as to its attribution, I'd like to hear it.

coin1.PNG

• Like 7

Not a bad example, @Tejas!  Sorry, I don't have an attribution.  To your point about it possibly being an immobilization, it's feeling more 10th than 9th century to me, on stylistic grounds.  What I am getting is that the neo-Carolingian temple motif (thank you, ultimately back to Louis the Pious) is likely the broad variation that you see in various coins of Germany and the Low Countries.  In France, the earliest immobilizations of the temple tend to have a closer resemblance to the prototype, particularly in terms of the facade itself.  Up to a point, the four pellets on the obverse are also characteristic of the same broad region, again, at least in reference to France. 

...With regret, especially for this period, Germany and the Low Countries are precisely the areas that are the least well represented among my available references.  But I hope this was to some point.  When you do find a real attribution (as I can't doubt, in light of your general level of erudition), please let us know!

• Like 2

@Coinmaster, I was thinking, very vaguely, more along these lines.

1216718.m.jpg

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1216718

The issue of Hendrik IV has the 'roof' both above and below, as this one doesn't.  This is the obverse of your example:

1032930b.jpg

The ones with the 'roof' on both sides appear in Germany, Scandinavia and, at least as of the 11th century, in Normandy.  Here's my OP that gets into that, to some extent.  

Clearly, the one I found from Goslar isn't a match, either, even according to the criteria I'd mentioned earlier.  But it does emphasize the fact that the temple motif shows up in Germany from the Ottonian period, as well as later, in the 11th century.  ...For now,

@Tejas, just, Best of Luck!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4

Thanks a lot to all of you for your responses and ideas. My hunch was that it is a penny of Emperor Arnulf of Carinthia from the Mains mint. His coins are typically difficult to decipher. However, as John pointed out the ending is not CIVI or CIVITAS. I guess this coin will have to remain a mystery. But again, thanks for your comments.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

@Tejas, I'd never heard of Arnulf of Carinthia, and had to look him up on ACsearch.  I think you nailed it!  Hats off!!!

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=arnulf+mainz&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0

(Edit:) How rare are these?  My first guess is that they're far from common. 

Edited by JeandAcre

The coins of Arnulf von Kärnten (Arnulf of Carinthia) are rare and sought after despite the usually in poor condition, i.e. they are usually poorly made with much of the legends missing. If you find one with 50% or more of the legends legible this would be an outstanding example.

• Like 2