CPK

My only Lucius Verus Denarius:

L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX :  laureate head right

TR P VIII IMP V COS III : Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia

denarius , Rome , A.D. 167-8, RIC III 590

lu1.jpg.b27ba5554c0a4a73f8f310dd5b8ac9a6.jpg

and Lucilla:

LVCILLA AVGVSTA : draped bust right

IVNONI LVCINAE : Juno seated left on throne, holding flower and infant.

Denarius , Rome,  AD 164, RIC III 770

lu2.jpg.04e82ff16e8a50232c80efae2394f55d.jpg

• Like 17

Commodus and Crispina: ( Was Botox already known then? )

L AVREL COM-MODVS AVG : laureate head right

TR P IIII IM-P II COS P P : Salus seated left, holding branch. At her feet, snake.

Denar, A.D. 179 , Rome, RIC III 658

co1.jpg.3ba341249d26f5c66b783143eeef6749.jpg

CRISPINA AVGVSTA : Draped bust right

VENVS : Venus standing left, holding apple and drawing drapery.

Denarius, Rome, AD 178-18, RIC III 286a

co2.jpg.31848a8e46320f64079b0e132728a870.jpg

CRISPINA AVGVSTA: draped bust to right

CONCORDIA : clasped hands.

Denarius, Rome, AD 178-192, RIC III 279

co3.jpg.76952fd66da11f472963f2deaed47aa0.jpg

• Like 19

My only Commodus...

normal_commodus_together.jpg.510e13678e30daa8c3d3b9470a3728af.jpg

Commodus Denarius (light weight) RIC#126

Commodus AR Denarius.Rome mint 186 AD 1.87gr 17mm

Obverse-M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT, laureate head right

Reverse- P M TR P XI IMP VII COS V PP, Concordia standing front, head left, holding standard in each hand.CONC MIL (below)

• Like 18

normal_Commodus_2.jpg.a3833113500759e0f4fbddecca77d86b.jpg

Commodus
Denar, Rome
Obv.: COMMODO CAES AVG FIL GERM SARM, draped bust right from behind
Rev.: PRINC IVVENT, Commodus standing, head left, holding branch, reversed spear in left, trophy with shield.
Ag, 3.21g, 18x19mm
Ref.: RIC III M. Aurelius 616, RSC 609, Kamp. 41.14.

• Like 18

Okay, Commodus. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to find any coins of Commodus that can be said to be extremely attractive and in good condition. The quality of the coinage has deteriorated considerably. Nevertheless, I have one or two coins which I particularly liked the portrait of.

#1 - I would like to start with this - in my opinion - young and extraordinary portrait. Somehow surreal. I don't know how to describe this portrait.

image.jpeg.77362a0426dd503578d2fe118885add7.jpeg

Commodus as Caesar under Marcus Aurelius
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 175/176 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 20mm; Weight: 3.19g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 616; Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: Bust of Commodus, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: COMMODO CAES AVG FIL GERM SARM for Commodo Caesar, Augusti Filius, Germanicus, Sarmaticus (Of Commodus, Caesar, son of the Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Sarmatians); Reverse: Commodus, standing left, holding branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand; on right, trophy with arms at base. The Inscription reads: PRINC IVVENT for Principes Juventutis (Prince of the youth).

#2 - is a youthful, very fine and, I think, beautiful portrait of the young Commodus.

image.jpeg.d040dfabe4cb8ddc47aba1c1dd49fd13.jpeg

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 180 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 2.99g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 9a; Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus; Reverse: Trophy; to left and right, a captive seated on ground. The Inscription reads: TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P for Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Quartum, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the fourth time, consul for the second time, father of the nation).

#3 - I also particularly like the (young) portraits of the coins from Cappadocia. They almost have comic features.

image.jpeg.5a33aa99b08130f601ac44d6c119ce9c.jpeg

Drachm of the Roman Imperial Period 183/185 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 4.45g; Mint: Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia; Reference: RPC online IV, 7122 (3 Specimens, 0 in the core collections!), SNG von Aulock 6444, Metcalf, Cappadocia 157b; Provenance: Ex SPINK Numismatics London Great Britain; Obverse: Laureate head of Commodus right. The Inscription reads: ΑΥΤ Μ ΑΥΡ ΚΟΜΟ ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ Ϲ for Autokrator Marcos Aurelios Kommodos Antouninos Sebastos (Imperator Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Caesar); Reverse: Nike standing on globe, right, holding wreath and palm-branch. The Inscription reads: ΥΠΑΤΟϹ Δ ΠΑΤ ΠΑΤΡΙ for Hypatos Alpha, Pateras Patrida (Consul for the 1st time, Pater Patriae [father of the nation]).

#4 - a rather rare case of a completely preserved Commodus coin, beautifully centred and an almost uncirculated very fine clear portrait of the emperor.

image.jpeg.c7985c9ff8310fc17983d7b64fd99241.jpeg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 183 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.00g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 54; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius; Reverse: Mars, helmeted, advancing right, holding spear in right hand and trophy sloped over left shoulder in left hand. The Inscription reads: TR P VIII IMP VI COS IIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Octava, Imperator Sextum, Consul Quartum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the eighth time, Imperator for the sixth time, consul for the fourth time, father of the nation).

#5 - another favourite portrait, the emperor seems to be looking up to the gods in heaven.

image.jpeg.2c3309c060da5e6061b789878462acef.jpeg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 186/187 AD; Material: Silver, Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.04g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 155; Provenance: Ex MDC Monnaies de collection Monaco Collection; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Pius Felix Augustus Britannicus (Marcus Commodus Antoninus, the pious, the fortunate, Augustus, conqueror of the Britons); Reverse: Nobilitas, draped, standing right, holding sceptre in right hand and stattuette of Minerva in extended left hand. The Inscription reads: NOBILIT AVG P M TR P XII IMP VIII COS V P P for Nobilitas Augusti, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Duoecima, Imperator, Octavum, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae (The nobility of the Augustus. High priest, holder of tribunician power for the twelfth time, Imperator for the eighth time, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation).

Comment: "New in Roman coinage of the Principate is the personification of Nobilitas (...). The type is to be understood as a reference to Commodus' distinguished ancestry - he was the first Roman ruler born in purple and, from a purely legal point of view, could trace his ancestry back to Nerva. Possibly this type, which emphasises the nobilitas of Commodus, echoes the highly treacherous plans of Perennis, who - at least according to the official version - wanted to help his son to the imperial throne, but also the uprisings of the soldiers in Britain, who wanted to acclaim Priscus and Pertinax as emperor." (M. R. Kaiser-Raiß, Die stadtrömische Münzprägung während der Alleinherrschaft des Commodus, Frankfurt am Main 1980, S. 60).

#6 - for me, this very fine, strongly idealised portrait on a bronze of Commodus should not be missed.

image.jpeg.bbe0b6dfc6d7a92aabab21050d556ffc.jpeg

Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 189/190 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 27.8mm; Weight: 14.97g; Mint: Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia; Reference: RPC IV.3 online 6880, Sydenham 374; Provenance: Ex Odysseus Numismatique Montpellier France; Obverse: Laureate headed bust of Commodus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right. The Inscription reads: Μ ΚΟΜΟ ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ for Marcos Kommodos Antouninos (Marcus Commodus Antoninus); Reverse: Altar surmounted by sacred image of Mount Argaeus. The Inscription reads: ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟ ΚΑΙϹΑΡƐΙΑϹ ƐΤ ΙΑ for Metropoleon Kaisareia, Etous Iota Alpha (Metropolitan Caesarea, Reign Year 11 = Dec. 189 - Dec. 190 AD).

#7 - and finally, another Divus coinage a few decades later, with the same question as always - how did the artists come up with this portrait? Was it heavily invented or even more realistic than the contemporary idealised ones?

image.jpeg.36c0e03d104b31af71cea203e9661407.jpeg

Divus Commodus under Trajanus Decius
Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 250/251 AD; Material: Silver, Diameter: 23mm; Weight: 4.96g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Trajan Decius 94; Obverse: Head of Divus Commodus, radiate, right. The Inscription reads: DIVO COMMODO for Divo Commodo (To the divine Commodus); Reverse: Rectangular altar, with four panels in front, lighted. The Inscription reads: CONSECRATIO for Consecratio (Consecration).

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Commodus Denarius, 185
image.png.5040e96e65d7da93f4de4342b158f2ba.png
Rome. Silver, 18mm, 2.36g. Laureate bust of Commodus right; M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT. Nobilitas, draped, standing front, head right, holding sceptre in right hand and statuette of Minerva in extended left hand; NOBILIT AVG P M TR P XI IMP VIII COS V P P (RIC III, 139). Found Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.

• Like 18

When it comes to Commodus, there can be only one portrait. Unfortunately, mine is not that pretty though, but still a very desirable issue:

23.2.png.d2732200bd50f2e6dc1d30fd62f92765.png

When it comes to best portraits, I've always liked the portrait of this peculiar sestertius. And I bought the denarius because of the portrait which, although the strike is on the light side, is one of the better I've seen:

23.1.png.a0892f3da3c2e77160cf37d6ea07ba04.png

23.3.png.904be68ad6eb366fba9fbd7dad990bac.png

• Like 15
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

My only Crispina coin, with a beaitiful and expressive portrait (the reverse, oh well...)

image.png.58cf1236f145bfff7c5849238c9b3aac.png

Good Commodus portrait:

image.png.c3f4773db2fedce5f58e1264065da788.png

Typical long face and looking like a nice guy, reminding me of Marcus Aurelius. This would have been a great coin because of the reverse also, unfortunately it is damaged

image.png.3dddead0cb8b2f5641e17f9286cfd738.png

• Like 19

Commodus denarius

Obv:- M COMM ANTO - N AVG PIVS BRIT, Laureate head right
Rev:- LIR AVG R M TR P - XVII COS VII P P, Libertas standing left folding pileus and sceptre
Minted in Alexandria. A.D. 192
Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.
Example 1:-
3.44g. 17.52 mm. 0 degrees.

RI_055h_img.jpg

Example:-
2.60g. 17.69 mm. 0 degrees.

RI_055i_img.jpg

• Like 21
  • Cookie 1

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Okay, Commodus. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to find any coins of Commodus that can be said to be extremely attractive and in good condition. The quality of the coinage has deteriorated considerably. Nevertheless, I have one or two coins which I particularly liked the portrait of.

#1 - I would like to start with this - in my opinion - young and extraordinary portrait. Somehow surreal. I don't know how to describe this portrait.

image.jpeg.77362a0426dd503578d2fe118885add7.jpeg

Commodus as Caesar under Marcus Aurelius
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 175/176 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 20mm; Weight: 3.19g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 616; Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: Bust of Commodus, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: COMMODO CAES AVG FIL GERM SARM for Commodo Caesar, Augusti Filius, Germanicus, Sarmaticus (Of Commodus, Caesar, son of the Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Sarmatians); Reverse: Commodus, standing left, holding branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand; on right, trophy with arms at base. The Inscription reads: PRINC IVVENT for Principes Juventutis (Prince of the youth).

#2 - is a youthful, very fine and, I think, beautiful portrait of the young Commodus.

image.jpeg.d040dfabe4cb8ddc47aba1c1dd49fd13.jpeg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 180 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 2.99g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 9a; Provenance: Ex Roma Numismatic London; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus; Reverse: Trophy; to left and right, a captive seated on ground. The Inscription reads: TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P for Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Quartum, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the fourth time, consul for the second time, father of the nation).

#3 - I also particularly like the (young) portraits of the coins from Cappadocia. They almost have comic features.

image.jpeg.5a33aa99b08130f601ac44d6c119ce9c.jpeg

Drachm of the Roman Imperial Period 183/185 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 4.45g; Mint: Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia; Reference: RPC online IV, 7122 (3 Specimens, 0 in the core collections!), SNG von Aulock 6444, Metcalf, Cappadocia 157b; Provenance: Ex SPINK Numismatics London Great Britain; Obverse: Laureate head of Commodus right. The Inscription reads: ΑΥΤ Μ ΑΥΡ ΚΟΜΟ ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ Ϲ for Autokrator Marcos Aurelios Kommodos Antouninos Sebastos (Imperator Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Caesar); Reverse: Nike standing on globe, right, holding wreath and palm-branch. The Inscription reads: ΥΠΑΤΟϹ Δ ΠΑΤ ΠΑΤΡΙ for Hypatos Alpha, Pateras Patrida (Consul for the 1st time, Pater Patriae [father of the nation]).

#4 - a rather rare case of a completely preserved Commodus coin, beautifully centred and an almost uncirculated very fine clear portrait of the emperor.

image.jpeg.c7985c9ff8310fc17983d7b64fd99241.jpeg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 183 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.00g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 54; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius; Reverse: Mars, helmeted, advancing right, holding spear in right hand and trophy sloped over left shoulder in left hand. The Inscription reads: TR P VIII IMP VI COS IIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Octava, Imperator Sextum, Consul Quartum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the eighth time, Imperator for the sixth time, consul for the fourth time, father of the nation).

#5 - another favourite portrait, the emperor seems to be looking up to the gods in heaven.

image.jpeg.2c3309c060da5e6061b789878462acef.jpeg

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 186/187 AD; Material: Silver, Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.04g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 155; Provenance: Ex MDC Monnaies de collection Monaco Collection; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Pius Felix Augustus Britannicus (Marcus Commodus Antoninus, the pious, the fortunate, Augustus, conqueror of the Britons); Reverse: Nobilitas, draped, standing right, holding sceptre in right hand and stattuette of Minerva in extended left hand. The Inscription reads: NOBILIT AVG P M TR P XII IMP VIII COS V P P for Nobilitas Augusti, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Duoecima, Imperator, Octavum, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae (The nobility of the Augustus. High priest, holder of tribunician power for the twelfth time, Imperator for the eighth time, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation).

Comment: "New in Roman coinage of the Principate is the personification of Nobilitas (...). The type is to be understood as a reference to Commodus' distinguished ancestry - he was the first Roman ruler born in purple and, from a purely legal point of view, could trace his ancestry back to Nerva. Possibly this type, which emphasises the nobilitas of Commodus, echoes the highly treacherous plans of Perennis, who - at least according to the official version - wanted to help his son to the imperial throne, but also the uprisings of the soldiers in Britain, who wanted to acclaim Priscus and Pertinax as emperor." (M. R. Kaiser-Raiß, Die stadtrömische Münzprägung während der Alleinherrschaft des Commodus, Frankfurt am Main 1980, S. 60).

#6 - for me, this very fine, strongly idealised portrait on a bronze of Commodus should not be missed.

image.jpeg.bbe0b6dfc6d7a92aabab21050d556ffc.jpeg

Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 189/190 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 27.8mm; Weight: 14.97g; Mint: Caesarea-Eusebia, Cappadocia; Reference: RPC IV.3 online 6880, Sydenham 374; Provenance: Ex Odysseus Numismatique Montpellier France; Obverse: Laureate headed bust of Commodus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right. The Inscription reads: Μ ΚΟΜΟ ΑΝΤⲰΝΙΝΟϹ for Marcos Kommodos Antouninos (Marcus Commodus Antoninus); Reverse: Altar surmounted by sacred image of Mount Argaeus. The Inscription reads: ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟ ΚΑΙϹΑΡƐΙΑϹ ƐΤ ΙΑ for Metropoleon Kaisareia, Etous Iota Alpha (Metropolitan Caesarea, Reign Year 11 = Dec. 189 - Dec. 190 AD).

#7 - and finally, another Divus coinage a few decades later, with the same question as always - how did the artists come up with this portrait? Was it heavily invented or even more realistic than the contemporary idealised ones?

image.jpeg.36c0e03d104b31af71cea203e9661407.jpeg

Divus Commodus under Trajanus Decius
Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 250/251 AD; Material: Silver, Diameter: 23mm; Weight: 4.96g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Trajan Decius 94; Obverse: Head of Divus Commodus, radiate, right. The Inscription reads: DIVO COMMODO for Divo Commodo (To the divine Commodus); Reverse: Rectangular altar, with four panels in front, lighted. The Inscription reads: CONSECRATIO for Consecratio (Consecration).

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

As the British would say, I think it's a bit thick that Trajan Decius honored the reviled Commodus on his Divus series, but refused to do the same for Claudius I. Okay I know Claudius was kind of a laughingstock but come on, let's have some perspective! 

• Like 4
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

Commodus:

441201525_RomCommodussesterzdegermanis(Foto2).png.fd8ceabadee2ee02c668c289a156f774.png

Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 177 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP L AVREL COMMODVS AVG [GERM] SARM; laureate and draped bust of Commodus r. Rev: T[R P] II COS [P]P; pile of Germanic arms; in fields, S-C; in exergue, DE GERMANIS. 31mm, 21.84g. Ref: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1570.

1728119365_RomCommodusDenarius(Liberalitas).png.329a9a1f23ee01f69859ec3a906710fa.png

Commodus, Roman Empire, denarius, 182 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMOD[VS ANTON]INVS AVG, laureate head of Commodus right. Rev: LIB AVG V TR P VII IMP IIII COS III PP, Liberalitas standing left holding counting board and cornucopiae. 18mm, 2.24g. Ref: RIC III Commodus 36A.

1000820332_RomCommodusSesterzRoma.png.d039e4560c2b620ad683849aebb5a8ed.png

Commodus, Roman Empire, sestertius, 183 AD, Rome mint. Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG PIVS; laureate head of Commodus r. Rev: [TR] P VIII [IMP VI] COS IIII P P; Roma, helmeted, draped, seated l. on shield, holding Victory in extended r. hand and vertical spear in l. hand; in fields, S-C. 30mm, 25.14g. Ref: RIC III Commodus 369.

• Like 20

• Benefactor

Let's go to Egypt for this tetradrachm:

Commodus (180-192. A.D.) Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm, 11.06 grams Obverse: M AVΡ KOMMO ANTΩNINOC CE, Laureate bust of Commodus right Reverse: VΠAT OCTOΔ, Zeus seated left, holding scepter and thunderbolt, K theta in field Reference: It appears closest to Milne 2637, however, that type has Zeus holding Nike and not a thunderbolt according to Wildwinds, so I would appreciate any help in nailing down precisely this reverse type and the appropriate reference (Note: During the reign of Commodus the production of the large AE drachms seems to have been greatly curtailed compared with 4 of the 5 "good emperors" perhaps due to continuing debasement of the flagship coin from billon to potin...)

commodus.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 20

I would like to add a Commodus that fell into my hands today. A bronze coinage of the young Commodus Caesar under Marcus Aurelius from Apollonia. I liked this very young, childlike portrait of Caesar. This type is given with 4 specimens at RPC. I have had a look at acsearch and coinarchive. This specimen is one of the most beautiful I have seen.

image.png.baf26f67c48e4398062c724ef8d8a00d.png

Lucius Aurelius Commodus as Caesar under Marcus Aurelius
Triassarion Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 175/177 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 29.5mm; Weight: 9.53g; Mint: Apollonia Mordiaeum, Pisidia; Reference: RPC IV.3 7734 (Specimens: 4, 1 in the core collections); Obverse: Bare-headed bust of Commodus (youthful) wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right. The Inscription reads: Μ ΑVΡ ΚΑΙϹΑΡ ΚΟΜΟΔΟϹ for Marcos Aurelios Kaisaros Komodos (Marcus Aurelius Caesar Commodus); Reverse: Tyche standing, left, wearing kalathos, holding rudder and cornucopia. The Inscription reads: ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΙΑΤΩΝ ΛVΚΙΩΝ for Apolloniaton Lukion (City of Apollonia Lukion).

• Like 16
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Commodus will be an easy one for me, as my first roman coin ever was a sestertius of his given by my grand father (but you all know the story by heart now):

26fbfbe9b6804aad919bb4ddfbc6be63.jpg

Commodus, Sestertius - Rome mint, 192 CE
L AEL AVREL CO---MM AVG P FEL, Laureate head of Commodus right
HERCVLI ROMANO AVG, Hercules facing, head left, holding club and lion's skin, resting on trophy. SC in field
21,01 gr
Ref : RCV #5752, Cohen #203, BMC # 314. RIC # 640.

This is the very first roman coin I have ever possessed, gift from my grand father who found it digging a trench at Verdun battle during WWI

My grandfather, born 1894, has been "lucky" enough to get involved in the whole WWI where he's been wounded five times (two actual wounds and three gas attacks). While digging a trench at Verdun battle (1916), he eventually found three coins that he carefully kept with him during three years (he's not been sent back home earlier than 1919). After the end of the war, being on a train, back home with two other "poilus" he decided he whould give one coin to each of them and keep the last one for himself (probably one of the first "ancient coin giveaway" in the 20th century). As written above, when I was 18, being the only one in the family showing an interest for coins he told me the story and gifted me with the coin.

It is the very first roman coin I have ever possessed. It's of course the real start of my addiction for ancient coins.

My grand dad finding it during his service and keeping it until the end of the war and for almost his entire life makes it the coin I will keep whatever occurs in my own life and/or to my coin collections.

As for the coin itself, its coolness comes from it being minted the last year in Commodus' rule, in 192 CE, as he'd turn completely crazy finding himself being a reincarnation of Hercules. Even though the obverse doesn't show him with the lionskin, the reverse has an explicit legend and clearly shows the emperor/hercules with Hercules' attributes.

And to finish with, the following comment is taken from the description of a similar example (in far much better condition) in NAC auction 4, # 477 : Few Roman coins excite as much commentary as those of Commodus, which show him possessed of Hercules. Not only do they present an extraordinary image, but they offer incontrovertible support to the literary record. The reports of Commodus’ megalomania and infatuation with Hercules are so alarming and fanciful that if the numismatic record was not there to confirm, modern historians would almost certainly regard the literary record as an absurd version of affairs, much in the way reports of Tiberius’ depraved behaviour on Capri are considered to be callous exaggerations. Faced with such rich and diverse evidence, there can be no question that late in his life Commodus believed that Hercules was his divine patron. Indeed, he worshipped the demigod so intensely that he renamed the month of September after him, and he eventually came to believe himself to be an incarnation of the mythological hero. By tradition, Hercules had fashioned his knotted club from a wild olive tree that he tore from the soil of Mount Helicon and subsequently used to kill the lion of Cithaeron when he was only 18 years old. Probably the most familiar account of his bow and arrows was his shooting of the Stymphalian birds while fulfilling his sixth labour. The reverse inscription HERCVLI ROMANO AVG (‘to the August Roman Hercules’) makes the coin all the more interesting, especially when put into context with those of contemporary coins inscribed HERCVLI COMMODO AVG, which amounts to a dedication ‘to Hercules Commodus Augustus’.

As for Crispina, I got the following middle bronze from our own @Severus Alexander's AMCC auction, that attracted me for the simple reason of her having such a beautiful rendering of the mouth

c33b99c94c5b463c84da58dec1e24a6a.jpg

Crispina (178-183) - AE As, Rome mint AD 180-182
CRISPINA AVGVSTA; Draped bust right, hair knotted in a bun in back.
LAETITIA; Laetitia standing left, holding wreath & rudder on globe.
11.80g, 25mm
Ref : RIC # 683; BMC # 435; Cohen # 28

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 13
  • Yes 2
  • Heart Eyes 7

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

Commodus will be an easy one for me, as my first roman coin ever was a sestertius of his given by my grand father (but you all know the story by heart now):

26fbfbe9b6804aad919bb4ddfbc6be63.jpg

We all love to hear this story, @Qcumbor! It was part of the reason I bought this proto-contorniate version of your coin:

image.jpeg.1900bd4b6e02cff4a6fe24b4f1ee2839.jpeg

As a proto-contorniate, it may have been a gift as well, on some New Year's Day 1800 years ago!

Our Crispinas appear to have something in common too:

image.jpeg.9114e075411c9f06585dab6f83295b7f.jpeg

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 16
  • Yes 1

WHO'S NEXT ON THE LIST?

ADOPTIVE EMPERORS 96 - 197 AD

*          CA                              NERVA                                             AUGUSTUS 96 - 98 AD

*          CB                              TRAJAN                                           AUGUSTUS 98 - 117 AD

CBW                          PLOTINA                                          WIFE

CBF                            TRAJAN PATER                            FATHER

CBSI                           MARCIANA                                     SISTER

CBML                        MATIDIA                                          DAUGHTER OF MARCIANA &                                                                                                                         MOTHER-IN-LAW OF HADRIAN

*          CC                              HADRIAN                                         AUGUSTUS 117 - 138 AD

*          CCW                          SABINA                                             WIFE

CCFA                         ANTINOUS                                       FAVORITE OF HADRIAN

*          CCH                           AELIUS                                             CAESAR 136 - 138 AD

*          CD                              ANTONINUS PIUS                         CAESAR 138 AD AUG 138 - 181 AD

*          CDCE                        ANTONINUS PIUS & MARCUS AURELIUS

*          CDW                          FAUSTINA SENIOR                       WIFE

CDS                            GALERIUS ANTONINUS             SON

*          CE                              MARCUS AURELIUS                    CAES 139 - 161 AD AUG 161 - 180 AD

*          CEW                          FAUSTINA JUNIOR                       WIFE

*          CF                               LUCIUS VERUS                              AUGUSTUS 161 - 169 AD

*          CFW                           LUCILLA                                         WIFE

*          CG                              COMMODUS                                   CAES 175-177 AD AUG 177 - 192 AD

*          CGW                          CRISPINA                                    

THE CIVIL WAR OF 193 - 197 AD

CH                              PERTINAX                                       AUGUSTUS 193 AD

CHW                          TITIANA & PERTINAX CAESAR WIFE & SON

CI                                DIDIUS JULIANUS                        AUGUSTUS 193 AD

CIW                            MANLIA SCANTILLA                  WIFE

CID                             DIDIA CLARA                                DAUGHTER

CJ                               PESCENNNIUS NIGER                 AUGUSTUS 193 - 194 AD

*          CK                              CLODIUS ALBINUS                      CAES 193 - 195 AD AUG 193 - 197 AD

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jims,Coins said:

WHO'S NEXT ON THE LIST?

Given how @CPK proceeded earlier, I'm thinking we'll be doing Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger, and Clodius Albinus all at once. Then we'll proceed to Septimius on Friday.

I don't have any corkers for these dudes, merely serviceable examples:

Pertinax, Rome mint:

image.jpeg.2cc9cbcafe6e78bebb852fc48c95a346.jpeg

Didius Julianus:

image.jpeg.bee7b6e9e2f634c06621097b272c06e4.jpeg

Pescennius Niger, Antioch:

image.jpeg.be54d7c5fea18cfc09f075f398dbc27e.jpeg

Clodius Albinus, as Caesar:

image.jpeg.59bf84f61d296cb8129f15762c7c6c1d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 7

@Severus Alexander Yes that is what I had in mind if nobody objects. Since these four emperors were very short-lived and their coins tend to be scarce and pricey!

After Commodus was assassinated, the Roman Empire fell into a period of civil war. In a situation very reminiscent of A.D. 68 after the death of Nero, a total of four men rose to claim the Imperial purple and were toppled:

Pertinax - son of a freedman, an accomplished military leader and Senator, quite elderly for the time at age 66

Didius Julianus - former governor and ex-consul (though he had been demoted by Commodus), an extremely wealthy Senator who quite literally purchased the throne during an auction sponsored by the Praetorian Guard after the murder of Pertinax

Pescennius Niger - a military man of equestrian family who achieved the rank of Senator - rose against Didius Julianus and attempted to oust him but was beaten to it by another claimant: Septimius Severus

Clodius Albinius - acclaimed Emperor by the legions in Britannia and Hispania, allied himself briefly with Septimius Severus but a few years later attempted to reinstate his claim and was defeated

The last in this "Year of 5 Emperors" was Septimius Severus, but he will be reserved for next time.

UNFORTUNATELY this is where I bow out, for awhile at least! There's a pretty significant gap in my collection from this time until the Tetrarchy. But I greatly anticipate seeing all of your wonderful portrait coins!

Please post your favorite portrait(s) of these ambitious but short-lived Emperors!

Edited by CPK
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1