AJ's Top Ten of 2022

AncientJoe

On 12/26/2022 at 3:27 PM, Qcumbor said:

I'm glad I posted my top of the year before : I wouldn't dare anymore now !!

As always, I can't but admire the exquisite taste and knowledge you show at finding exceptional coins year after year. It's a great honour to be given the opportunity to seeing them. Thank you so much Joe

Q

I do hope other members aren't dissuaded from posting their top coins. Everyone has a different situation or manner of collecting but regardless of the price tier, a collection is an expression of one's self and therefore always worth sharing!

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

On 12/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Very impressive as usual AJ. My favorite is the Claudius aureus. For the curious members, Curtis Clay wrote an article on the identification of the figure in the temple as Fides Praetorianorum, not a Praetorian soldier as usually described. (Num.Zeitschrift 96, 1982 pp.42-43)

I had not read Curtis' article but appreciate the revised interpretation!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:40 PM, Kazuma78 said:

@AncientJoe I was lucky to be able to acquire a copy of Jenkins & Lewis this year and here is a photo of your coin from the book (though I'm sure you already have it). Again, spectacular coin!

20221230_133950.jpg

Thank you! This saves me a trip to the storage unit where my reference guides are currently held!

• Like 3

On 12/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Very nice list with a conspicuous absence: Byzantine! 

While I've nearly broken my rule in the past, this is a conscious choice: I limit my collection to end at Constantine the Great, focusing on roughly the first thousand years of coinage. But, never say never... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

I shared your list with my family this year, the day after Christmas, around the dinner table. They all enjoyed it very much!

My three favourites are all from your upgrades: the Claudius IMPER RECEPT (presumably received by a Praetorian?), the Nero Boscoreale (some rewarding sleuthing there!), and the Carthaginean (gorgeous horse and Tanit).  I might pick the Akanthos tet next... such an artistic rendering of the dramatic obverse scene.  And so cool that the Hadrian ended up being ex Caruso! 🎶

I love this too:

13 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

Everyone has a different situation or manner of collecting but regardless of the price tier, a collection is an expression of one's self and therefore always worth sharing!

Numisforums does a good job of demonstrating this with all the great top 10 lists we've seen. Thanks so much for contributing your amazing set!  I'm quite happy to show my worn Nero colossus denarius in your thread, if only to demonstrate that you can get an example of this historically interesting type for under 200 euros:

image.jpeg.5be7e14bc5f4b31712752920eab5cc14.jpeg

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 7

Congratulations on a great year, @AncientJoe! All wonderful coins. Here are a few more pedigrees in case you are not aware of them already.

Your Maximianus Aureus is ex NGSA, Auction 13, Lot 13 (2021); Roma, Auction XX, Lot 681 (Long Valley River Collection, 2020); NAC, Auction 105, Lot 108 (2018); Gemini, Auction III, Lot 450 (2007). It's also supposedly (I didn't check) ex Tkalec, Auction 25 October 1996, Lot 264; Leu, Auction 65, Lot 480 (1996) and published in X. Calicó, Los Aureos Romanos (2002). NAC says it's also ex Leu, Auction 93, Lot 121 (Claude Vaudecrane Collection ["a perfectionist"], 2005) which, however, is wrong. Roma and NGSA copied the mistake.

And your Nero is ex Künker, Auction 117, Lot 5040 (2006). Not very important since you found the Hirsch and Ball pedigrees, but just in case you want to have your records as complete as possible.

I particularly like your Maximianus Aureus. One of my favorite coins is from the same series.

377_pbf4dauaym_th.jpg.370708377bc91192ce7f076c49bb9161.jpg

Edited by SimonW
  • Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 4:31 AM, SimonW said:

Congratulations on a great year, @AncientJoe! All wonderful coins. Here are a few more pedigrees in case you are not aware of them already.

Your Maximianus Aureus is ex NGSA, Auction 13, Lot 13 (2021); Roma, Auction XX, Lot 681 (Long Valley River Collection, 2020); NAC, Auction 105, Lot 108 (2018); Gemini, Auction III, Lot 450 (2007). It's also supposedly (I didn't check) ex Tkalec, Auction 25 October 1996, Lot 264; Leu, Auction 65, Lot 480 (1996) and published in X. Calicó, Los Aureos Romanos (2002). NAC says it's also ex Leu, Auction 93, Lot 121 (Claude Vaudecrane Collection ["a perfectionist"], 2005) which, however, is wrong. Roma and NGSA copied the mistake.

And your Nero is ex Künker, Auction 117, Lot 5040 (2006). Not very important since you found the Hirsch and Ball pedigrees, but just in case you want to have your records as complete as possible.

I particularly like your Maximianus Aureus. One of my favorite coins is from the same series.

377_pbf4dauaym_th.jpg.370708377bc91192ce7f076c49bb9161.jpg

Thanks Simon! I did indeed notice that the coin didn't match the Vaudecrane specimen (although it was quite close - I don't completely fault the catalogers). Mine is the Calico plate coin so at least they didn't mistake that:

image.jpeg.f73ad5f7c578a1b3c390c74a8bff5b3d.jpeg

Your example is superb with a particularly artistic reverse! Congratulations, that's an exceptional coin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1