Ancient Coins discord

Troyden

1 hour ago, KenDorney said:

I dont know, I've tried Discord and its just, well, insanity!  Pretty sure it will never amount to much.  There is here, Cointalk (which is another level of insanity), Forvm (which is largely dead, here or Reddit.  Reddit seems a decent place but not really user friendly like here.

Honestly, Numisforums seems like the place going forward.  

Yep makes sense. My coin resources these days are Numisforums, the discord being discussed here, and a couple Facebook groups. 

I would say the Discord is a great community, and it's a fun place to socialize with other collectors. I also find that the instant messaging format, in addition to encouraging a social experience, is nice for asking quick questions, especially asking for price checks or authenticity checks on specific coins at auction/retail. 

The traditional forum set-up like we have at Numisforums is probably more suitable for in-depth discussions. There are lots of very knowledgeable folks and good discussions on discord too, but the instant messaging format inevitably means you can't keep the group focused on one topic for too long.  

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, akeady said:

I've looked in, but not really sure what to do in DIscord 😄

ATB,
Aidan.

It's basically a live chatting platform, something like old school AOL or IRC with a few new age bells and whistles.  Its nothing new, but its great to get instant replies to questions or an instant discussion. .. kinda, depending how active.  I still prefer a forum  or email, or at least the pace of it.  Places such as discord are also owned and centralized by big corp, like a twitter. While forums have more soul IMO because the owner has more control.  Discord channels are not owned by the creator, rather dicord as a whole. 

• Like 2