a pleasant Nero Tet, Sasanian, a Procopius, and more

Nerosmyfavorite68

The latest Savoca buy came in.  I was elated the delivery instructions were actually followed (no extra effort for them). I changed one word and perhaps that worked.  This would make me much more at ease with Fedex if this continues.

1824744591_Nero-54-68-ARTetradrachmAntioch-RY9Caesyr111-62-3AD23mm_14.42gRPCI4185.jpg.659e5e7332ba4e7f0a7b27c6f147463b.jpg

Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Nero AD 54-68. Dated RY 9 and year 111 of the Caesarean Era = AD 62/3
Tetradrachm AR

23 mm, 14,42 g

NEPΩN KAIΣAP ΣEBAΣTOY, laureate bust right with aegis around neck / ETOYΣ AIP • Θ, eagle standing right, with spread wings, on thunderbolt; palm branch and pellet in right field.

toned fine (my grade).  Slightly worn, but a nice provincial 'fat face' portrait of Nero.

---

710012999_PerozI-457-484-ARDrachm-26mm.3.93gFineSavoca.jpg.b49b95345308b7e88a8b01a680f01a5f.jpg

Sasanian Kings. Peroz I, 457/9-484. Drachm (Silver, 26 mm, 3,93 g, ). Draped bust of Peroz I to right, wearing mural crown with frontal crescent and korymbos set on crescent. Rev. Fire altar flanked by two attendants; above, star and crescent.  Fine (my grade)

I'm no good at reading the dates/mints.  I'm looking at the numiswiki page, but so many look similar.  The backwards E is some variant of A?  I'm also confused, do the upisde down ! above the backwards E and the one on the opposite sides count, or are they just decorations?

The date is likely unreadable. I think it's my first Peroz.  95% of my Sasanians are Khrusru II because I like the late style.

----

661718498_Procopius-365-366-AECentenionalisnummus-14mm.2.17g-cfRICIX7(heraclea)Savoca.jpg.00f83a950f88377a1919043a76617bc2.jpg

Procopius. Usurper, AD 365-366. Æ Centenionalis nummus. (14mm, 2.17g). Uncertain mint. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left / Procopius standing facing, head right, holding labarum and leaning on shield set on ground; Christogram in upper right field; [...]. Cf. RIC IX 7 (Heraclea). Good Fine

(the blue parts are my changes to the description.)

I bought this one to check Procopius off the list.  I'm not into small LRB's and thus am too cheap to go after a good one.  This one wasn't bad, for 40 Euros.

-----

and finally, the impulse buy.

1751996903_HerenniusEtruscus-249-251-AEprovincialSestertius-Viminacium27mm13.51golivepatina.jpg.b1f988c109bedc895131f1032a70e59b.jpg

Herennius Etruscus, as Caesar, AE Provincial Sestertius, Æ27 of Viminacium, 13,51 g. Moesia Superior. Dated year 12 = AD 251. Q H ETR MES DEC CAES, bare headed and cuirassed bust right / P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, hands placed above bull on left and lion on right; AN XII (date) in exergue. Mouchmov 50; SNG Copenhagen 165; Varbanov 186-7; Jekov & Hristova 61; AMNG 144.

Fine, lacquered or waxed, attractive olive patina, looks much better in person.  (The orange bits are my additions).

I love these, one of my favorites of Roman provincials.  I have a grotty, but complete or near complete, ruler and perhaps denomination set from Viminacium.  I especially enjoy the ones of Herennius and Hostilian, respectively.

This one was a no-brainer to buy at 20 Euros.

--

Per the Nero Tetradrachm, I wanted one which was both decent and the 'fat face' Nero bust.  This example fit the bill and allowed me to tuck the other coins into the order. Zurquieh had some of the 'scowling' late Nero, but some were of low weight.  One was an obvious fourree.  I'm wondering if perhaps the one or two others were fourrees with no plating breaks?

All in all, a good day.  I was able to get to the store before people start panic buying because of snows later in the week. I picked up a pizza for Christmas dinner, or I might have Shepherd's pie.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 14
  • Yes 1

• Nerosmyfavorite68 changed the title to a pleasant Nero Tet, Sasanian, a Procopius, and more
1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

The latest Savoca buy came in.  I was elated the delivery instructions were actually followed (no extra effort for them). I changed one word and perhaps that worked.  This would make me much more at ease with Fedex if this continues.

1824744591_Nero-54-68-ARTetradrachmAntioch-RY9Caesyr111-62-3AD23mm_14.42gRPCI4185.jpg.659e5e7332ba4e7f0a7b27c6f147463b.jpg

Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Nero AD 54-68. Dated RY 9 and year 111 of the Caesarean Era = AD 62/3
Tetradrachm AR

23 mm, 14,42 g

NEPΩN KAIΣAP ΣEBAΣTOY, laureate bust right with aegis around neck / ETOYΣ AIP • Θ, eagle standing right, with spread wings, on thunderbolt; palm branch and pellet in right field.

toned fine (my grade).  Slightly worn, but a nice provincial 'fat face' portrait of Nero.

---

710012999_PerozI-457-484-ARDrachm-26mm.3.93gFineSavoca.jpg.b49b95345308b7e88a8b01a680f01a5f.jpg

Sasanian Kings. Peroz I, 457/9-484. Drachm (Silver, 26 mm, 3,93 g, ). Draped bust of Peroz I to right, wearing mural crown with frontal crescent and korymbos set on crescent. Rev. Fire altar flanked by two attendants; above, star and crescent.  Fine (my grade)

I'm no good at reading the dates/mints.  I'm looking at the numiswiki page, but so many look similar.  The backwards E is some variant of A?  I'm also confused, do the upisde down ! above the backwards E and the one on the opposite sides count, or are they just decorations?

The date is likely unreadable. I think it's my first Peroz.  95% of my Sasanians are Khrusru II because I like the late style.

----

661718498_Procopius-365-366-AECentenionalisnummus-14mm.2.17g-cfRICIX7(heraclea)Savoca.jpg.00f83a950f88377a1919043a76617bc2.jpg

Procopius. Usurper, AD 365-366. Æ Centenionalis nummus. (14mm, 2.17g). Uncertain mint. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust left / Procopius standing facing, head right, holding labarum and leaning on shield set on ground; Christogram in upper right field; [...]. Cf. RIC IX 7 (Heraclea). Good Fine

(the blue parts are my changes to the description.)

I bought this one to check Procopius off the list.  I'm not into small LRB's and thus am too cheap to go after a good one.  This one wasn't bad, for 40 Euros.

-----

and finally, the impulse buy.

1751996903_HerenniusEtruscus-249-251-AEprovincialSestertius-Viminacium27mm13.51golivepatina.jpg.b1f988c109bedc895131f1032a70e59b.jpg

Herennius Etruscus, as Caesar, AE Provincial Sestertius, Æ27 of Viminacium, 13,51 g. Moesia Superior. Dated year 12 = AD 251. Q H ETR MES DEC CAES, bare headed and cuirassed bust right / P M S COL VIM, Moesia standing facing, head left, hands placed above bull on left and lion on right; AN XII (date) in exergue. Mouchmov 50; SNG Copenhagen 165; Varbanov 186-7; Jekov & Hristova 61; AMNG 144.

Fine, lacquered or waxed, attractive olive patina, looks much better in person.  (The orange bits are my additions).

I love these, one of my favorites of Roman provincials.  I have a grotty, but complete or near complete, ruler and perhaps denomination set from Viminacium.  I especially enjoy the ones of Herennius and Hostilian, respectively.

This one was a no-brainer to buy at 20 Euros.

--

Per the Nero Tetradrachm, I wanted one which was both decent and the 'fat face' Nero bust.  This example fit the bill and allowed me to tuck the other coins into the order. Zurquieh had some of the 'scowling' late Nero, but some were of low weight.  One was an obvious fourree.  I'm wondering if perhaps the one or two others were fourrees with no plating breaks?

All in all, a good day.  I was able to get to the store before people start panic buying because of snows later in the week. I picked up a pizza for Christmas dinner, or I might have Shepherd's pie.

Nero., Congrats on scoring the Nero Tet 😊. Nero began the tradition on placing an eagle on the reverse of Antioch tetradrachms. The eagle soon became the mark of value for Roman provincial tetradrachms.

• Like 1

The mint on your Peroz drachm appears to be AW. It is undated. Many of Peroz's drachms lack a date but have a symbol resembling the Pahlavi letter M in left field. The "upside-down I" is part of the attendant's costume. Göbl III/3.

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 1