A thread for my antiquities

On 6/20/2022 at 10:54 PM, DonnaML said:

Returning to the primary thread subject of my own antiquities collection, the additional item I mentioned above has now arrived. Here it is with its write-up, put together from the dealer's description and various other sources as set forth below:

Ancient Roman oil lamp displaying the characteristic red slip of North African terra sigillata [manufactured in Central Tunisia]. The vessel features a long canal nozzle and a rounded body. To the top, the discus is decorated with a small palmette, flanked by two rampant animals: a hound (wearing a collar) to the right, and a gazelle or other type of antelope to the left [the dealer identified it as a deer, but there are no deer in North Africa!], perhaps depicting a hunting scene. The shoulders, acting as a decorative border for the scene, feature a neatly drawn geometric pattern comprising concentric circles and triangles. A lug handle extends outwards to the rear of the lamp for holding. The reverse presents a short circular base, centred by two concentric grooves. Ca. mid-5th Century AD.  Length 5.5" (approx. 14 cm.). Purchased June 2022 from Ancient & Oriental (antiquities.co.uk), London, UK (Christopher J. Martin); ex "S.M. Collection, London, Mayfair, acquired 1970s-90s." Stated condition: Fine condition; a minor crack at the back of the handle and base ring. Signs of repair to the base. Hayes Type IIA [see J.W. Hayes, Late Roman Pottery (British School at Rome, London 1972) (Hayes 1972); see also J.W. Hayes, Ancient Lamps in the Royal Ontario Museum, a Catalogue; Vol. I, Greek & Roman Clay Lamps (Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto 1980) (Hayes 1980), pp. 63, 68 & Pl. 34 No. 288 et al.]; Atlante Type X [see Carandini, A., et al., eds. 1981, Ceramica fine romana nel bacino mediterraneo (medio et tardo impero), Vol. 1 of Atlante delle forme
ceramiche
. (Enciclopedia dell’arte antica), Rome.]* 

Dealer's photo:

image.png.ddfee0ecc848024d6b16195640cb2433.png

My photos:

image.jpeg.9c640351a7043a6bfca89dacbb09c435.jpeg

image.jpeg.69995482b235a5841bf9772894f09922.jpeg

The new lamp together with the one described earlier in this thread as the last item in my post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/199-a-thread-for-my-antiquities/#comment-3606  (purchased at Coincraft, London in 2002), also a Hayes Type IIA from North Africa (Tunisia) ca. mid-5th Century AD, 1/2" longer and quite a bit deeper:image.jpeg.2bcd8ae72e7a2ff595916301dd450cb0.jpeg

More dealer photos:

image.jpeg.0de853958d94a177b5487b1ec97cb54b.jpeg

image.jpeg.e3032d604bd2c399ba31a92b6304116e.jpeg

image.jpeg.5a688a2a328d7ed2840277451dda2c04.jpeg

*I was a bit concerned about how pristine this lamp looked in the dealer's photo compared to my other one, although I didn't have major concerns given that the dealer, CJ Martin, is a highly reputable antiquities (and ancient coin) dealer of long standing.  (And, in any event, one can clearly see in hand a lot of the original dirt from excavation, in the crevices and openings.) So I posted the photo in the groups.io ancient artifacts group, and received the following comments, among others, from some of the experts there:

From Robert Kokotailo of the Calgary Coin Gallery:  "nothing about it looks off to me.  These lamps were often used as grave goods where they show in as new condition as the dry climate in North African can preserve such things very well.   As grave goods some were never used so the nozzles don't get the typical burn deposits most lamps have."

From @David Knell, an expert specifically on ancient oil lamps; see his "Ancient Lamps" website at  https://romulus2.com/lamps/index.shtml : "These African Red Slip (ARS) lamps were produced in enormous quantities since they were largely intended for export. The fabric of this Hayes Type IIa tends to be fairly hard and well-fired, and they have very often survived in pristine condition due to the arid burial environment in Tunisia. This example from Ancient & Oriental is typical and I see absolutely no reason to doubt its authenticity."

And this was the dealer's response to my inquiry:

"Yes, these lamps were mould made and mass produced in antiquity. Thanks to their quantity and often good burial condition, it is not unusual to find examples in such pristine condition. Should you wish to find more information on oil lamps, an excellent resource would be this document from the J. Paul Getty Museum, which has an extensive oil lamp collection: https://www.getty.edu/publications/ancientlamps/assets/downloads/AncientLamps_Bussiere_LindrosWohl.pdf  [see Jean Bussière & Birgitta Lindros Wohl, Ancient Lamps in the J. Paul Getty Museum (Getty Publications, Los Angeles, CA, 2017)].
 Atlante X Hayes IIA type lamps, as the piece you have purchased, are covered from page 352."

Again from @David Knell's website, at https://romulus2.com/lamps/lampcat/lampcatnotes.shtml, a very useful photo identifying the often-referenced parts of ancient oil lamps:

image.jpeg.2bb86a73dcbeeeebc086fe5ad52a039b.jpeg

And here are some Hayes Type IIA lamps similar to mine, with descriptions of the type:

From the Getty publication at p. 352, concerning the two major types of these Tunisian lamps, according to Hayes's classification:

"Subtype II A groups lamps from central Tunisia characterized by a fine clay, glossy light orange slip, and carefully executed decoration using a great number of neatly drawn
shoulder motives. Subtype II B groups lamps from northern Tunisia characterized by a coarser clay, dull brick-red slip, and larger shoulder stamps of often blurred quality. Lamps of Hayes types I and II, initially produced in Tunisia only, were broadly exported, then imitated
throughout the Roman Empire for three centuries; consequently, they are extremely numerous. Several typologies have been worked out, but so far none is totally satisfactory, for new series continue to be distinguished. The basic work is the classification given in Atlante I, pp.
200–204, by Anselmino and Pavolini. . . . The Getty lamps of the types 
here considered all date to the fifth or sixth century A.D., with the exception of cat. 492."

No. 497:

"Description: Moldmade, from plaster mold. Solid spikelike handle
flattened on sides. Oval elongated body. Shoulder: stamps alternating
between beaded triangles and concentric circles (Répertoire, Cg42 and
Da20); stamps next to nozzle are half Répertoire, Da20. Two equal-sized
filling-holes, at upper right and left. Discus surrounded by ridge,
continuing around nozzle to form broad channel. Raised rounded base ring connected to handle; two thin concentric circles in middle of base.
Discus Iconography: Dromedary with saddlebag walking to right,
toward handle.
Type: Atlante X; Hayes II A"

image.jpeg

Note the close similarity to my new lamp of the design of alternating concentric circles and beaded triangles around the outside border of the discus (except that the triangles point inwards rather than outwards). In  addition, the same design of two  thin concentric circles appears in the middle of the bottom (underside) of both this lamp and my lamp. The bottom of the Getty lamp:

image.jpeg.dc362c75d80cc9cf52c95cab13bd0274.jpeg

Do these similarities in the secondary design elements suggest a possible common origin for the two lamps?

Next, from David Knell's website, No. BNA6 at https://romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?103:

image.jpeg.70793e6287b73490938e82b70c1bbd8a.jpeg

From Hayes 1980, p. 63:

image.jpeg.441d79892517bd480d10853c3c641df2.jpeg

From Hayes 1980, p. 68, describing lamp No. 288, Type IIA:

image.jpeg.5df171fc5a5f0a1058979f2779e26dcb.jpeg

Photo of Lamp No. 288, from Hayes 1980, Plate 34:

image.jpeg.af2bc0a745f446909e86c01df73552d4.jpeg

Finally, from the article Late Antique oil lamps from the Archaeological Museum in Split (Zagreb, Croatia 2012), another description of the various Hayes subtypes:

"J. W. Hayes divided Late Antique oil lamps from North Africa into
two types. Type I includes lamps that have an oval discus, a narrow
diagonal shoulder and a short nozzle. It is divided into two sub-types
(Hayes IA and Hayes IB) which differ based on the handle form. The first
is dated to the early fourth century, while the second to the late fourth
to early fifth centuries. Type II has a circular discus, a wide and straight
shoulder, a long nozzle and a wedged, outwardly drawn handle. This
type is also divided into two sub-types (Hayes IIA and Hayes IIB). The
differences between them are apparent in the quality of the clear and
the clarity and precision of the ornamentation. Type II is dated from the
late fourth century to roughly the year 550. Regardless of the types,
individual examples have workshop stamps in the middle of bottom
(most often individual letters or monograms). Since these lamps were in
use over a long period, variants emerged which combined the features
of the aforementioned principal types, with a rectangular discus or
shoulders that flow continually dividing the discus from the channel."

From the same article Late Antique oil lamps from the Archaeological Museum in Split, some Hayes Type IIA lamps, at Pl. I Nos. 4-6:

image.jpeg.abd3d6f01e1ee080211e260d0f37b08c.jpeg

Again, note the border of alternating beaded triangles and concentric circles on the lamp on the right. Perhaps it was simply a frequently-used design 

Donna,

That's an extremely impressive summary of your new lamp!

Some scholars have attempted an interpretation of the shoulder decoration on these Hayes Type IIa, produced by stamping poinçons into the damp plaster mould, but I suspect that most of them are simply abstract successors of the more naturalistic shoulder stamps appearing on a few of the earlier Hayes Type I and are merely decorative. The thin concentric circles on the base of both your lamp and the Getty example are a standard feature on Hayes Type IIa from Byzacena in central Tunisia and are unrelated to the shoulder decor.

> the dealer identified it as a deer, but there are no deer in North Africa!

You're forgetting the 'Barbary stag' (Cervus elaphus barbarus), a subspecies of red deer native to Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco. They were presumably far more populous in antiquity and are quite often depicted, typically with large branching antlers, on Roman lamps from North Africa.

It should also be borne in mind that lamps made in North Africa were largely intended for export and their makers did not necessarily restrict iconography to only native fauna.

However, I'm no zoologist but I think you may well be right that the animal with straight short horns on your lamp is more likely to be a species of antelope.

David

barbary-stag-tunisia-circa-stamp-printed-shows-228972564.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Octavius said:

Some c. first century Roman lamps,  griffin , ass, bull , and Pegasus..

aq13922a.jpg.c6141232a844c9c3242c4bfadbf025a9.jpgaq20086a.jpg.7cb2c1fa4227c839288c05281b7abb6a.jpgaq20275a.jpg.c642b0730b1eb876788129351c51c533.jpgimg.jpg.858b0da068e4c3b91d24b77fbb094315.jpg

Octavius,

Your lamps are very attractive but I'm afraid your third one (bull's head on discus) almost certainly belongs to the Bulgarian Volute Series and has all the characteristics (fabric/slip, artificial deposits, shoulder treatment, lipped nozzle, artistic style, and other giveaway idiosyncrasies) of the First Batch, made from about 2004 to 2011.
https://romulus2.com/lamps/fakes/fakes1.shtml#bulgarianvolute

David

• Benefactor

Thanks for your comments @David Knell. If I'm correctly understanding you, it seems that I may be correct that the similarities in the shoulder decorations (the alternating triangles and concentric circles), and the thin concentric circles on both bases, suggest the possibility that my lamp and the one from the Getty come from the same general geographical location somewhere in Tunisia. I didn't think that the shoulder decorations had any particular meaning, and assumed that they were a purely decorative motif.

Taking my two lamps together with my bust of (probably) Faustina II from a few hundred years earlier, from Hadrumetum (modern Sousse), posted above, sold by the family of a French colonial diplomat who served there in the late 19th century, I suppose it's safe to say that I now have three artifacts from what is now Tunisia. 

As for my statement about there being no deer in North Africa, my apologies! I'm no zoologist either -- just a retired lawyer from New York City. I made the mistake of relying on a map I looked at, purporting to show the geographical distribution of the Cervidae. I swear that Africa was empty! Still, I agree that the horns look more like those of some kind of small gazelle. 

Finally, what do you think of all the ancient Roman lamps recently put up for sale by Den of Antiquity? See https://www.denofantiquity.co.uk/product-category/artefacts/artefacts-roman/ . Some of them look quite impressive! And one even has the exact same kind of shoulder decorations (and design on the base) as my lamp and the Getty lamp: https://www.denofantiquity.co.uk/product/roman-north-african-redware-terracotta-oil-lamp-with-ram/ . I don't know if these Hayes Type IIA's from Tunisia are the most commonly available ancient lamps, but there certainly always seem to be a lot of them for sale, and from what I can see they're quite a bit less expensive on the whole than the earlier ones with designs of gladiators, etc.

Thanks again.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
19 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

Hi @DonnaML. Sorry to briefly hijack your artifact thread but was hoping to get your thoughts on this little terracotta head I have. It was described as Roman from the 1st or 2nd century AD. Is it really Roman and does it resemble anyone in particular (an empress or goddess)? And does it look authentic? Regarding the latter I’m leaning towards yes due to the dirt on it. The bottom photo is a side-back view. Thanks for your help!

vkterracottahead.thumb.jpg.a5c28ca892c77222703a1e91fd427913.jpg

I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion, @ValiantKnight.The work is honestly a bit crude compared to many I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's fake. Greek/Hellenistic/Roman terracotta figurines and heads vary widely in size and in every other way, and I imagine are faked as often as any other kind of ancient artifact. So I've always preferred to rely on the expertise of others -- specifically, dealers with good reputations -- to trying to judge authenticity myself, except in obvious cases like the dreck one sees on Ebay, or that Sadigh used to sell before he was finally shut down. Perhaps you could post your photos on the io.com ancientartifacts group, and see what people say. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Knell said:

Octavius,

Your lamps are very attractive but I'm afraid your third one (bull's head on discus) almost certainly belongs to the Bulgarian Volute Series and has all the characteristics (fabric/slip, artificial deposits, shoulder treatment, lipped nozzle, artistic style, and other giveaway idiosyncrasies) of the First Batch, made from about 2004 to 2011.
https://romulus2.com/lamps/fakes/fakes1.shtml#bulgarianvolute

David

Thank you very much David. I  appreciate your informing me of this. I guess it's something that happens to most of us in this hobby at one time or another. Maybe in 2000 years it will be valuable!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Johnson said:

On second thought a goat but not Bezoar, the horns are too short.

Is it possible to delete a post on this website? I would have just re-written the last post.

David regarding  paintings on vases and depictions on coins we have to allow for artistic license I mean look at this profile of a woman on a Greek vase it’s abstract art at its best picasoesc in its style yet painted around 330 bc 

D2E3D1CF-8EB7-42EF-BB77-2A3979E13237.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion, @ValiantKnight.The work is honestly a bit crude compared to many I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's fake. Greek/Hellenistic/Roman terracotta figurines and heads vary widely in size and in every other way, and I imagine are faked as often as any other kind of ancient artifact. So I've always preferred to rely on the expertise of others -- specifically, dealers with good reputations -- to trying to judge authenticity myself, except in obvious cases like the dreck one sees on Ebay, or that Sadigh used to sell before he was finally shut down. Perhaps you could post your photos on the io.com ancientartifacts group, and see what people say. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

This is not Roman in my opinion but Greek Hellenistic circ 200 bc probably from a tanagra terracotta figurine . These were mold made . Hear is a complete one from my collection. Your head looks ok to me although really I have to hold it to be certain. 

DD579BDC-292D-4B1F-A6D8-C5E024A32D95.jpeg

23A7B1FB-E0EC-43C4-B403-D278F6E3FBFE.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • Benefactor

In June, I posted this description, with photos, of an ancient Egyptian artifact that I bought all the way back in 1986:

Egypt, Late Dynastic Period (1085-332 BCE), green faience amulet of baboon [with man's body?], leaning on pillar, representing Hapi son of Horus[?], sacred to Thoth (god of wisdom, writing, hieroglyphs, science, magic, art, judgment, and the dead) . 1 3/8" high. Purchased from Royal Athena Galleries, New York City, Mar. 29, 1986.

Bronze baboon facing 2.jpg

bronze baboon R2.jpg

image.jpeg.506e712ed6d5603a8ae1168b7426b6e5.jpeg

I recently learned that the dealer's identification and my description were incorrect all these years, which explains my confusion about the unusual apparent combination of a baboon's head with a human body.  In fact, as @Didier Attaix (whom I know from the io.com ancientartifacts group) has pointed out to me, it's not a human body at all, and the head is not a baboon's head.  Notice the long tail in back, on which the animal partly rests! (I hadn't ever noticed it.) Instead, it's clearly a vervet monkey. Which has an entirely different symbolic meaning from that of the baboon! So this is my new description:

Egypt, green faience amulet of vervet monkey with arms at sides and long tail [see Carol Andrews, Egyptian Amulets, pp. 66-67: "a symbol of love and sexual fulfillment to be enjoyed in the Other Life," perhaps worn, based on "the creature's known sexual habits," as a "magical sexual aid in this world and the next"], on integral base, semi-seated on pedestal behind, loop on back, Late Period (1085-332 BCE).  1 3/8" high. Purchased from Royal Athena Galleries, New York City, Mar. 29, 1986.

See these relevant pp. from Andrews, and the third figure illustrated on the right-hand page:

image.jpeg.d9ec3ede12a0cab4a1d3e698bcf8cd90.jpeg

It seems that certain monkeys have had a certain reputation for a very long time!

I should also mention the death of Jerome Eisenberg (the proprietor of Royal Athena and its predecssor galleries for almost 70 years until it closed a couple of years ago), as  reported in the io.com group. I haven't been able to find an obituary, but he was certainly over 90 years old. May his memory be for a blessing. 

Some of you may be interested in this link to a pdf of an index to Mr. Eisenberg's library of publications on Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Middle Eastern art. I have no idea what has happened to this library since Royal Athena closed and Mr. Eisenberg died. 

https://www.arslibri.com/collections/EisenbergLibrary.pdf

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

A newly-purchased ancient Egyptian scarab that arrived the other day, purchased from Zurqieh in Abu Dhabi, but identified for me by Dr. Bron Lipkin of http://www.collector-antiquities.com/home.html in the UK:

Ancient Egypt, Second Intermediate Period (ca. 1780-1570 BCE), stone scarab, 16 x 11 x 7 mm., depicting two addorsed -- back-to-back -- Maat (ostrich) feathers, with two plants (perhaps lotus plants) flanking them. Purchased from Zurqieh Ltd., July 2022.

image.jpeg.ad0b37d7eb25aefde37c03030b731ac1.jpeg

*See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat 

"Maat or Maʽat . . . refers to the ancient Egyptian concepts of truth, balance, order, harmony, law, morality, and justice. Maat was also the goddess who personified these concepts, and regulated the stars, seasons, and the actions of mortals and the deities who had brought order from chaos at the moment of creation. . . . Maat was the goddess of harmony, justice, and truth represented as a young woman. Sometimes she is depicted with wings on each arm or as a woman with an ostrich feather on her head. . . . In the Duat, the Egyptian underworld, the hearts of the dead were said to be weighed against her single "Feather of Maat", symbolically representing the concept of Maat, in the Hall of Two Truths. This is why hearts were left in Egyptian mummies while their other organs were removed, as the heart (called "ib") was seen as part of the Egyptian soul. If the heart was found to be lighter or equal in weight to the feather of Maat, the deceased had led a virtuous life and would go on to Aaru. Osiris came to be seen as the guardian of the gates of Aaru after he became part of the Egyptian pantheon and displaced Anubis in the Ogdoad tradition. A heart which was unworthy was devoured by the goddess Ammit and its owner condemned to remain in the Duat . . . The weighing of the heart, as typically pictured on papyrus in the Book of the Dead, or in tomb scenes, shows Anubis overseeing the weighing and Ammit seated awaiting the results to consume those who failed. The image contains a balancing scale with an upright heart standing on one side and the Shu-feather standing on the other. Other traditions hold that Anubis brought the soul before the posthumous Osiris who performed the weighing. "

Note the depiction of the feather, closely resembling the one on this scarab, in this Wikipedia illustration of the weighing of the heart:

800px-Egypt_dauingevekten.jpg

If the plants also depicted on this scarab are intended to be lotus plants, they would symbolize the closely-associated concept in ancient Egypt of "the path from death to rebirth" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelumbo_nucifera ).

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 11

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I should also mention the death of Jerome Eisenberg (the proprietor of Royal Athena and its predecssor galleries for almost 70 years until it closed a couple of years ago), as  reported in the io.com group. I haven't been able to find an obituary, but he was certainly over 90 years old. May his memory be for a blessing. 

I found Mr. Eisenberg's obituary in yesterday's NY Times. He was 92. See https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/arts/jerome-m-eisenberg-dead.html :

Jerome M. Eisenberg, Expert on Antiquities Both Real and Fake, Dies at 92

Sam Roberts
By Sam Roberts
July 14, 2022

Jerome M. Eisenberg, a leading New York antiquities dealer who in the murky world of tomb raiders and smugglers held himself up as a guardian against the illegal importation and sale of ancient art, died on July 6, his 92nd birthday, in Manhattan.

His son, Alan, said his death, in a hospital, was caused by complications of pneumonia.

Mr. Eisenberg started a mail order ancient coin business with his father when he was 12, and over the years he sold an estimated 40,000 ancient artifacts — he insisted that he never knowingly sold any that were of suspect provenance — and appraised countless others for prospective buyers and insurance adjusters. He testified as an expert witness in numerous lawsuits on the value and source of antiquities.

As the founding editor of Minerva, an archaeological journal, he challenged the authenticity of several prominent relics. One was the Disc of Phaistos, a clay artifact, six inches in diameter and festooned with mysterious symbols, that was discovered in 1908 in Crete; another was the Snake Goddess of Knossos, which was found about the same time and, like the Disc, put on display in Crete at the Heraklion Archaeological Museum. 

Mr. Eisenberg, an expert on forgeries, wrote in 2008 that the Disc of Phaistos and its undeciphered symbols, not connected to any known script, were faked by Luigi Pernier, the archaeologist who said he had discovered it in a dig at the Knossos Palace 100 years earlier. His analysis is still being debated.

Often described in the press as the dean of New York antiquities dealers, Mr. Eisenberg founded the Royal-Athena Galleries in Manhattan, specializing in Classical Greek, Roman and Egyptian art, in 1954, after being discharged from the Army. In 1970, he established Collector’s Cabinet, a natural history gallery featuring minerals, seashells, fossils and butterflies. He later expanded Royal-Athena, opening branches in Beverly Hills, Calif., and London.

He retired and closed Royal-Athena in 2020, when he was 90.

[More at link.]

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3

The Phaistos disc, maybe....but the snake goddess statue  is not the only example.  In Knossos Minoan section of items in Heraclea Museum  Crete, there is another, lesser example in a case labelled in typical museum bullshit, UNPUBLISHED....NO PHOTOGRAPHS...It's been excavated over 100 years now.. What is it about museums and bullshit?  Museums, centres of ignorance.  Maybe if publication as it happened occurred then problems would not arise as such!

Museums, not dens of antiquity but dens of iniquity.

NSK=John

• Like 2

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

The Phaistos disc, maybe....but the snake goddess statue  is not the only example.  In Knossos Minoan section of items in Heraclea Museum  Crete, there is another, lesser example in a case labelled in typical museum bullshit, UNPUBLISHED....NO PHOTOGRAPHS...It's been excavated over 100 years now.. What is it about museums and bullshit?  Museums, centres of ignorance.  Maybe if publication as it happened occurred then problems would not arise as such!

Museums, not dens of antiquity but dens of iniquity.

NSK=John

I assume you must have seen this second example personally -- how was it labelled? I do think that perhaps your generalization is a bit too harsh!

• Benefactor

Here's another little "snack" I recently bought:

Pale blue glazed faience amulet depicting the falcon-headed god Horus wearing the Crown of Upper and Lower Egypt (skhent), standing with left foot forward.  Pierced for suspension. Egypt, Late Dynastic Period, 730-332 BCE.  Size 2.6 x 0.6cms. Purchased 7 July 2022 from Helios Gallery, Wiltshire, UK; ex "private collection, Paris, France; acquired 1960’s-1980’s."

image.jpeg.db22302eff16fe22d9e4a563dc6e0292.jpeg

image.jpeg.d154c1eb401aaa5bd8bbf31cc38c071a.jpeg

image.jpeg.3afa0e4317e8278adbfe618ed4074a02.jpeg

image.jpeg.0a67cdaca116f224aced1a60ff57d42b.jpeg

image.jpeg.2016ed5d7b94f199146d3f337aeea6b9.jpeg
  • Like 7

• Benefactor

To give a better idea of just how tiny my most recently-purchased artifact (the standing Horus amulet) is, here it is in its new home on the bottom shelf of one of my vitrines. It's really no bigger than either of the two scarabs in the photo (the new one is on the far left). To compare, the faience reclining lion in the middle is itself only 47.6 mm. long. 

image.jpeg.b99e67df58f0a2ea92ec947931f0cee0.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

sorry @DonnaML, it is a little bit late, but maybe this can help you for your scarab of Psammetichos I. See numbers 897-898. If you want, I can also make a copy of the photos of the scarabs, but even in the catalogue from Rowe, they are very bad.

For the work of Gorton, I have it here somewhere or in my second residence. I can confirm by memory what you write. I am leaving here sunday morning, so, when I have found the book in my disorder, I can also make a copy of the concerned pages. 

image.jpeg.0c384a69bbc239dfa049cff08dd7c47a.jpeg

• Like 3

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, antwerpen2306 said:

@DonnaML I hope I can help you with these copies. from 'Egyptian and Egyptianizing Scarabs' .If I can help you, let me know

1442230857_naucr1001(2).jpg.550772d23f538ed1a9f8dd379d449b41.jpg486895281_naucr2001(2).jpg.c4ef193dc8eb52bce64500849c3a756e.jpg43654341_naucr3001(2).jpg.98d6516fada83013b45d878c8c2d1ad8.jpg2036584123_naucr4001(2).jpg.3d12218ef2f7085235eae34b93b3e40c.jpg802438566_naucr5001(2).jpg.33c75c3878885ea08c485af982b6dab1.jpg525778379_naucr6001(2).jpg.357568b56c60d4203919c6cb4722e5e9.jpg

Thanks so much for this, @antwerpen2306! I will read it carefully soon, but I can tell that it's going to be very helpful, specifically referring as it does to the "lion and sun disk" type of scarab like the one I purchased.