Going German/ post your coins from German States

panzerman

Here another Taler of one of those tiny German duchies
Sachsen-Meiningen, a mere 2,500 km², 280,000 inhabitants in 1910

Duke Bernhard II does not appear on this double-portrait-taler. He was just 12 years old when the coin was struck (1812)
Instead it shows his mother and legal guardian Luise Eleonore and his deceased father  Georg I
The presentation with two portraits is a nice diversion, and on top a nice quality

Regards
Klaus

878684093_10315MeiningenLouise.jpg.631e4e5519b465ba0de7c07fe5d0d83e.jpg

• Like 8

That Wedding Doppel Thaler from Hamburg is magnificent/ the Erfurt Thaler likewise Chris...

First time I have seen your Thaler from Saxe-Memingen/ nice coin Klaus.

Here is one from Ludwig II of Bayern/ picup from Stack's....

He built the famous and very beautifull Neuschwanstein castle.

Neuschwanstein-Castle-germany-43448517-1920-1200.jpg

ceda2877e1f81d2013db46409858d089 (1).jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, panzerman said:

That Wedding Doppel Thaler from Hamburg is magnificent/ the Erfurt Thaler likewise Chris...

First time I have seen your Thaler from Saxe-Memingen/ nice coin Klaus.

Here is one from Ludwig II of Bayern/ picup from Stack's....

He built the famous and very beautifull Neuschwanstein castle.

Neuschwanstein-Castle-germany-43448517-1920-1200.jpg

ceda2877e1f81d2013db46409858d089 (1).jpg

Nice. My wife visited Neuschwanstein castle when she was in the military. We hope to someday visit together. 

• Like 3

• Benefactor

I don't have many German coins left to post, but how about some German historical/commemorative/satirical medals, from the 18th century up to the First World War? I've had them all for a long time (I bought the first one in 1999!), but wrote up and took photos of most of them only today. The only one I've posted before is the third one. (All the others are very dark, but I did my best with my cellphone camera and a desk lamp! An accomplished photographer I'm not.)

The first one is probably in the best condition. Stylistically, it reminds me of a lot of British medals from that period commemorating battles. Of course Frederick II was very popular in Britain during the Seven Years War as an ally, as were his medals. 

GERMAN STATES, Brandenburg-Prussia, Frederick II (the Great), unsigned 1757 AE Medal commemorating Prussian victories over combined forces of France and Austria (the Holy Roman Empire) in Battles of Rossbach [Roßbach] (5 Nov. 1757) and Lissa [a/k/a Battle of Leuthen] (5 Dec. 1757) in Seven Years War. Obv. Frederick II in uniform on warhorse left, facing, sword drawn in upraised right hand, military camp in center background, star fort of Lissa at right, forest to left, cavalry in left foreground, FREDERIC. DG. BORVS. REX. ET. PROTESTANTI, M. DEFENSOR around; in exergue, · LISSA · DEC · 5 / Rev. Large battle scene between armies of Prussia and Maria Theresa of Austria: in foreground, Prussian cavalry at right pursues fleeing Austrian cavalry left; in background, Prussian infantry at right pursues fleeing Austrian infantry left; in center, smoke from artillery rolls over battlefield; QUO · NIHIL · MAJUS · MELIUSVE around; in exergue, ROSBACH · NOV · 5 1757. 48 mm., 35.77 g. Marienburg 4744 [Bahrfeldt, E. Die Münzen und Medaillensammlung in der Marienburg (7 vols., Gdansk, 1901-1910); Olding 611 n. 1 [Olding, M. Die Medaillen auf Friedrich den Großen von Preußen 1712 bis 1786 (Osnabrück, 2003)]. Purchased 17 Nov. 1999 from G.R. Bourne, Crewe, Cheshire, UK.*

image.jpeg.b4ff85c20071972abc821d8ed233ff2c.jpeg

image.jpeg.5ec5cace72ea38abc2181e0f3e59fe48.jpeg

*The Battle of Rossbach (Roßbach) took place on November 5, 1757 during the Seven Years' War (1756-1763) near the village of Roßbach, in the Electorate of Saxony. Frederick II (a/k/a Frederick the Great), King of Prussia, defeated the allied armies of France and the Holy Roman/Austrian Empire. This battle is considered one his great masterpieces, due to his exploitation of rapid movement to achieve the element of complete surprise and destroy an enemy army with negligible casualties. One month later, on December 5, 1757, at the Battle of Lissa (a/k/a Leuthen), Frederick II used manoeuvre and terrain to decisively defeat a much bigger Austrian army under Prince Charles Alexander of Lorraine, thus ensuring Prussian control of Silesia during the Seven Years' War. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rossbach; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuthen.

GERMAN STATES, Brandenburg-Prussia, Frederick II (the Great), 1757 AE Medal commemorating Prussian victory over Austria (Holy Roman Empire) in Battle of Prague (6 May 1757) in Seven Years War, by Johann Georg Holtzhey (1729-1808, Dutch medallist). Obv. Armored and cuirassed half-length portrait of Frederick II facing right, wearing wreath of oak leaves, his hair tied back and falling over his shoulder; around, FRIDERICVS MAGN. D. G. REX BORVSS. EL. BRAND. DVX SILES ET [Frederick the Great, by the Grace of God King of Prussia, Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Silesia, Etc.] / Rev. Winged figure of Victory in center, lightning bolts extending from her right hand; captured weaponry, armour and cannon at her feet; she holds shield in her left hand with inscription (largely worn off) ‘VICTORIA FRIDERICI MAGN’ [Victory of Frederick the Great], and, with her left foot, has kicked the crown off the figure of the Holy Roman Empress, Maria Theresa, kneeling right; under Victory's feet, words ALBISIL and MOLDA [Rivers Elbe and Moldau (Vltava)]; around, FAMA PRUDENTIA ET VIRTVTE [Fame Wisdom and Courage]; in exergue in three lines, AVSTR · EXERC · PROPE · PRAG · FVNDIT / CÆSO ET · PRAGA · OBSESSA · / VI · MAJI · MDCCLVII [Total defeat of the Austrian army near Prague, and Prague besieged, the 6th of May, 1757]. 48 mm., 39.4 g. Olding 604a [Olding, M. Die Medaillen auf Friedrich den Großen von Preußen 1712 bis 1786 (Osnabrück, 2003)]. (Apparently common flan flaw in form of surplus blob of metal over first ‘V’ in ‘VIRTVTE’ in reverse legend.)*

image.jpeg.4e41fd1f85b376b9b59de78f5e7c02ed.jpeg

image.jpeg.22ee54bcadd3c8d5ac64e82785b464a0.jpeg

*In the Battle of Prague outside that city on May 6, 1757, during Third Silesian War between Frederick the Great and Maria Theresa (broadly, part of Seven Years War), Frederick's 67,000 Prussians forced 60,000 Austrians to retreat into the city of Prague and besieged the city, but, having lost 14,300 men (the Austrians lost more than 13,000), decided he was not strong enough to attack Prague. However, Prussia's continued control of Silesia was confirmed. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prague_(1757).

GERMAN STATES, Prussia, "Moses Mendelssohn" AR medal by Jacob Abraham & Son [Abraham Abramson], undated [1774]. Obv. Bust left, MOSES MENDELSSOHN above, I. ABRAHAM & F. [= and son] beneath truncation / Rev. Butterfly perched on skull right (with scar on skull curving from top of skull where butterfly sits, down to  right eye socket), PHAEDON above; in exergue in two lines, NATUS MDCCXXIX [Born 1729].  43 mm., 27.75 g.  See Friedenberg, Daniel M., Jewish Medals From the Renaissance to the Fall of Napoleon (1503-1815) (Jewish Museum, New York, 1970) at pp. 54-55, 131 (ill. p. 54). Purchased from Educational Coin Company, Highland NY, 20 Jan. 2011.*

image.jpeg.c6d2607e3963b1bac07c7eec2d893b21.jpeg

*See Friedenberg p. 131: "Medal was issued to honor Mendelssohn, the great German Jewish leader of the Haskalah, for writing Phaedon, modeled on the Platonic dialogue. This well-known work was published in 1767." See also id. pp. 54-55, in the book's discussion of the medallists Jacob Abraham and his son Abraham Abramson [N.B., the references to Mendelssohn's physical handicaps are not phrased as sensitively as they might be today]: "We are fortunate that both father and son engraved some of their most prominent co-religionists. The most important of these medals, struck about 1774, is an homage to Moses Mendelssohn, the very great leader of the Haskalah movement. Both father and son collaborated on this work, which without question is among the dozen most important Jewish medals ever issued. On the obverse we see facing left the bust of Mendelssohn, with the overly massive shoulders butting the head, as is typical of hunchbacks. The long, searching nose, the high forehead, the deepset eyes, and thin, fixed mouth all reveal the restless mind of a scholar. The reverse shows a skull with a delicate butterfly perched on top, indicative of the immortality of the spirit. The symbolism refers to the well-known philosophic work by Mendelssohn entitled Phaedon, modeled on the dialogue of the same name by Plato. Happily for collectors, the medal was immediately recognized as an extraordinary piece, and many were struck. From certain imperfections seen on some copies, the writer is of the opinion that later dies were made or the dies were reused after corrosion."

GERMANY, German Empire, Berlin 1916. “So-Called United States ‘Neutrality’" World War I Medal, cast FE (iron) (73 mm, 81.2 g, 12 h). By Hans Lindl (1885-1946). Dually dated 1914 and 1916. Obv. OHNE FLEISS KEINEN PREIS (Without diligence no reward), half-length figure of Woodrow Wilson facing sitting at desk, writing in ledger and holding bag of money inscribed 10000000; LINDL to left; WILSON IM WELTKRIEG/ALS EIFRIGER NOTEN/SCHREIBER (Wilson in the world war as an eager note writer) in three lines / Rev. NEUTRALITÄT – U. – GERECHTIGKEIT (Neutrality and Justice), nude and emaciated Justice, blindfolded, standing facing; behind, skeleton (Death) holding scales with pans marked D · (for Deutschland) and E · (for England); pans hold Prussian eagle and English bulldog, respectively; Death puts his finger on scales to make them tip toward the bulldog; 1914 - 1916 in exergue. Art of Devastation 74 [Patricia Phagan & Peter Van Alfen, The Art of Devastation: Medallic Art and Posters of the Great War (ANS 2017)]; see http://numismatics.org/aod/id/7513.12914.3 for photo and description of this medal.

image.jpeg.0a7808fe16a694a47a244d1624d7b97b.jpeg

image.jpeg.220d426a5b1e532b5997253d13e98265.jpeg

I have no Karl Goetz medals -- they tend to be quite expensive -- but I think this Hans Lindl medal serves quite well as an example of the sort of bitterly satirical medallic designs issued in Germany during the First World War.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor
22 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Nice coins Donna!...

I'm impressed with your photos from a phone...

Thanks. As long as I hold the phone still (I rest my arm on something), and the camera isn't too close (because I always crop the photo later anyway), and I make sure the image is in focus, it usually takes pretty decent photos. I often take 3 or 4 photos of each side, upload them to my computer, and choose the best one. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

@DonnaML I believe the mark you took for a scar on the skull of the Moses Mendelssohn medal is the coronal suture.  Despite the name it has nothing to do with surgery, but is a constant finding at the junction of the frontal and the parietal bones of the skull.  Knowing your passion for documentation and accuracy, I was sure you would want to correct your record.  

I always enjoy your postings and admire your dedication to thoroughness.  I hope this 8th day of Chanukah brings you many blessings.  

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
6 hours ago, Hrefn said:

@DonnaML I believe the mark you took for a scar on the skull of the Moses Mendelssohn medal is the coronal suture.  Despite the name it has nothing to do with surgery, but is a constant finding at the junction of the frontal and the parietal bones of the skull.  Knowing your passion for documentation and accuracy, I was sure you would want to correct your record.  

I always enjoy your postings and admire your dedication to thoroughness.  I hope this 8th day of Chanukah brings you many blessings.  

Thank you so much for the kind wishes, and thanks for the correction. An anatomist I'm not! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

Preussen

AV Friedrich's d'or 1813-A

Berlin Mint

Friedrich Wilhelm III 1797-1840

This coin was struck at the time of the "Battle of Leipzig" where everyone ganged up on Napoleon/ after his Russian Campaign. Like many/ before and after he won the battles vs the Russians but lost thru attrition/ weather. At Leipzig/ the French won on paper but lost in the end due to overwhelming odds.

f32fa664a7c65bce38d9b227c686977e (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1