I think that I finally found what I want to collect - My newest Julian and Constantius!

ComicMan

4214_20400.jpg

Look at how charming that portrait is! He has the beard, and this coin is quite big at 29mm too. The obverse is kinda worn, but very recognizably it is the bull (I like it much more than the votive reverses), and it was minted in Antioch which has special relevance for my boy! 90 euros, bought it from Tom Vossen. RIC VIII Antioch 216, Γ.

Honestly? Despite the obverse and the crack, this coin is definitely a steal I think, on vcoins or ma-shops you cannot really do better for 100 (I don't see Julian so often on auctions), and I just had to have it for how charming the portrait looks.

3680_19362.jpgFel Temp Reparatio is just so funny. "How do we show that the happy times are back again?" "I know, let's depict our enemies being stabbed or taken as captives!" Man, the romans were something else. I know that it is not the horseman, but I think that this one might be a little bit more intimidating even? Constantius is holding the globe on the one side, and the cross on the other over some captives, good times indeed. Also from Vossen for 30 euros. Interestingly he had this identified as RIC 70, but it is definitely RIC 84 (the only difference is that the emperor is holding a banner with a cross rather than the Christogram).

I will definitely not just focus on them, but Constantine and his immediate successors are super interesting, I definitely want to focus on them for a bit. Other than Constantine the Great they are not really up there in terms of recognizability, but they had some interesting coin designs, there are many personalities all called some variation of ConsX, and starting with the first Christian emperor and ending with the last Pagan emperor is kinda poetic.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

It's very good that you found an area of interest. Yes, LRBs are interesting (this is not my major area but I wanted to add some iconic examples in my collection).
Your attribution for Constantius II (RIC 84) is correct.

Here is another interesting FEL TEMP REPARATIO from Constans, with phoenix on rocks

image.png.3b026fdb2857e8ebb7ff61e3c70ebd85.png

One of the scarcer emperors from these times, Procopius. Now the situation was a little different - it was in fact a REPARATIO FEL TEMP (take my word for this - the legend is no longer visible on my coin but this is the type)

image.png.45d77ddb08111a64d599c8d8db6a2b54.png

My favorite LRB coin is this Constantiniana Dafne - a reverse only used in this series of coins. Too bad the obverse is not as good as the reverse

image.png.69c41bad6de54bac186f7b54fe992865.png

As for Julian's double maiorina with the bull - that is one of the best bronze coins from that era, due to its size. I will show you one that is so ugly it looks beautiful - probably a barbarous imitation

image.png.7fddfbbd52d841eb338bf7727d581a58.png

• Like 4

jull.jpg.f45f898ac2ae1bb98deecd97e0c8100d.jpg

Julian II, The Apostate (355 - 363 A.D.)
Æ3
O: D N CL IVLIANVS NOB CAES, Bare head, draped and cuirassed right.
R: FEL TEMP REPARATIO. Helmeted soldier to l., shield on l. arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground r. Horseman turns head to soldier and extends l. arm. M in l. field, BSIRM star in exergue.
Sirmium Mint, 355-61 A.D.
19mm
2.24g
RIC 78

• Like 3

image.jpeg.522a9a841c69ec6f4f194314d045cb33.jpeg

Flavius Claudius Iulianus II Apostata
Double Maiorina of the Roman Imperial Period 361/363 AD; Material: AE Ronze; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 8.44g; Mint: Cyzicus, CVZΓ (3rd Officina); Reference: RIC VIII Cyzicus 127; Obverse: Bust of Julian, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: D N FL CL IVLI ANVS P F AVG for Dominus Noster Flavius Claudius Iulianus Pius Felix Augustus; Reverse: Bull standing right, head front; above, two stars; mintmark in exergue. The Inscription reads: SECVRITAS REI PVB for Securitas Rei Publicae (The safety of the State).
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

It's very good that you found an area of interest. Yes, LRBs are interesting (this is not my major area but I wanted to add some iconic examples in my collection).
Your attribution for Constantius II (RIC 84) is correct.

Here is another interesting FEL TEMP REPARATIO from Constans, with phoenix on rocks

image.png.3b026fdb2857e8ebb7ff61e3c70ebd85.png

One of the scarcer emperors from these times, Procopius. Now the situation was a little different - it was in fact a REPARATIO FEL TEMP (take my word for this - the legend is no longer visible on my coin but this is the type)

image.png.45d77ddb08111a64d599c8d8db6a2b54.png

My favorite LRB coin is this Constantiniana Dafne - a reverse only used in this series of coins. Too bad the obverse is not as good as the reverse

image.png.69c41bad6de54bac186f7b54fe992865.png

As for Julian's double maiorina with the bull - that is one of the best bronze coins from that era, due to its size. I will show you one that is so ugly it looks beautiful - probably a barbarous imitation

image.png.7fddfbbd52d841eb338bf7727d581a58.png

Nice coins! I am trying to get all the varieties of Fel Temp Reparatio so the phoenix is definitely on the list. For Constantine, I like his posthumous coins:

3364127_1665582644.jpg

And really nice on the last one! I definitely want some imitative coins in there.

37 minutes ago, Kali said:

jull.jpg.f45f898ac2ae1bb98deecd97e0c8100d.jpg

Julian II, The Apostate (355 - 363 A.D.)
Æ3
O: D N CL IVLIANVS NOB CAES, Bare head, draped and cuirassed right.
R: FEL TEMP REPARATIO. Helmeted soldier to l., shield on l. arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground r. Horseman turns head to soldier and extends l. arm. M in l. field, BSIRM star in exergue.
Sirmium Mint, 355-61 A.D.
19mm
2.24g
RIC 78

So strange to see him without his iconic beard, nice coin though!

35 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.jpeg.522a9a841c69ec6f4f194314d045cb33.jpeg

Flavius Claudius Iulianus II Apostata
Double Maiorina of the Roman Imperial Period 361/363 AD; Material: AE Ronze; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 8.44g; Mint: Cyzicus, CVZΓ (3rd Officina); Reference: RIC VIII Cyzicus 127; Obverse: Bust of Julian, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: D N FL CL IVLI ANVS P F AVG for Dominus Noster Flavius Claudius Iulianus Pius Felix Augustus; Reverse: Bull standing right, head front; above, two stars; mintmark in exergue. The Inscription reads: SECVRITAS REI PVB for Securitas Rei Publicae (The safety of the State).

Amazing coin! Might I ask how much it cost?

• Like 1