• 3. Vespasian pontifical implements denarius
    • 4. Julia Domna Venus sestertius
    • 5. Antoninus Pius temple sestertius
    • 6. Diva Faustina I temple denarius
    • 7. Geta Janus denarius
    • 8. Domitian rhinoceros quadrans
    • 9. Nero AVVGVSTVS AVGVSTA denarius
    • 10. Diva Faustina II crescent and stars denarius

That time of the year has come... to present what I consider my best Roman Imperial coins from 2022.
This remains my main focus on collecting. It was a rich year from this point of view - 62 imperial coins acquired, more than half of my total coins (108). Not easy to pick some and I left outside of the top some coins that would have deserved a place, perhaps. Condition is not the primary factor for buying and liking them, but I am trying to add coins in decent condition to avoid the question for myself "why did I spend money on this". I prefer interesting reverses, coins that are important historically, coins with a form of propaganda.
The order is the one they arrived in my collection.

image.png.14e76499e6b0e9421e9860d5bac92edd.png

Maximinus I Thrax AD 235-238. Rome Denarius AR. 21 mm, 2,38 g.
AD 236
MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, bust of Maximinus I, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right / P M TR P II COS P P, Maximinus Thrax, in military attire, standing left between two standards, raising right hand and leaning to left on spear held in left hand
RIC IV Maximinus Thrax 4; RSC 56

Legendary Maximinus. A giant more than 2,4 meters tall, who wore his wife’s bracelet as a thumb ring and drank 18 bottles of wine at a normal meal. Not sure how much of this is exaggeration but he remains a pivotal point in Roman history, as the first barracks emperor and the beginning of a very uncertain era of the Empire. He never visited Rome and his end was brutal and bloody. 
I bought this coin because I liked the portrait, I think it's very realistic and clearly shows the acromegaly.

image.png.7e6d500598c7988e084774a727705d02.png

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome Denarius AR. 19 mm, 3,02 g
IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, bust of Trajan, laureate, right / S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI Dacian, wearing peaked cap, in attitude of mourning, seated right on oval shield; curved sword (falx) below
Date Range: AD 103 - AD 111
RIC II Trajan 219, RSC 529, BMC 175

Living in a territory that once was Dacia made me bery interested in coins related to Dacian wars. I was particularily interested in this type, showing a Dacian (woman) and in "exergue" one of the traditional Dacian weapons, the falx. This coin was mandatory in my top 10 as it was in a very high position in my bucket list.

image.png.bc7263fdae9f2009c058b626c621a50b.png

Vespasian AD 69-79. AR Denarius 3,38gr. Rome
July- December AD 71. IMP CAES VESP AVG P M, head of Vespasian, laureate, right / AVGVR TRI POT, Simpulum, sprinkler, jug and lituus
RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 4, old RIC II Vespasian 30, RSC 43, BMC 50

One of my favorite emperors (with a slightly different portrait than we all know) paired with one of my favorite reverses. Too bad the die was not in the best shape so the lituus is not fully displayed - but I consider this a minor fault.

image.png.a637442468f54211d3b707f2246c41f2.png

Julia Domna. Augusta AD 193-217. Rome. Sestertius Æ. AD 193-196. 30 mm, 25,51 g
IVLIA DOMNA AVG, bust of Julia Domna, hair waved and coiled at back, draped, right / VENERI VICTR S C, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand, resting left elbow on column
RIC IV Septimius Severus 842; Cohen 195; BMC 488.

This is one of my favorite reverse types and extremely popular. I have this Sestertius, 2 denarii from Domna and a Titus denarius. I know there are other rulers with similar types and I intend to snag more. But having it on a Sestertius, in a condition I consider decent (the honest wear is not something to make me skip a coin, especially if I consider it pleasant, without major surface issues and completely identifiable).

image.png.fcd2128f0b5a7e5cfb7cb8abc189e154.png

ANTONINUS PIUS.(138-161). Sestertius. Rome. AD 158-159 28 mm, 17.2 g
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, laureate bust right / [TEMPL DIVI AVG] REST COS IIII SC, octastyle temple, with figure of Divus Augustus between two reclining figures on pediment, quadriga at top of roofline, acroteria (Romulus on left, Aeneas bearing Anchises on right) at bottom of roofline, and containing cult images of Divus Augustus and Diva Livia. Restored under Antoninus Pius in AD 158, the Temple of Divus Augustus housed seated statues of Augustus and Livia and was octastyle in the Corinthian order. RIC III Antoninus Pius 787

Another favorite emperor (I always liked Pius portraits) - but the reverse was the determining factor for buying this coin. Great architectural depiction. This type is scarce and expensive in better conditions and I was extremely glad to get it cheaply.

image.png.84deb2efd183f3b889c79aac03d0c3ab.png

Diva Faustina I. Rome. Denarius AR, struck AD 150. 18 mm, 3,29 g
DIVA FAVSTINA, bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved in several loops round head and drawn up and coiled on top / AED DIV FAVSTINAE, hexastyle temple in which is seated a figure of Faustina Senior, outer most columns contain standing figure holding vertical lit torch, Victories as acroteria, peacock in pediment, roof surmounted by quadriga. RIC III Antoninus Pius 343; RSC 1; BMC 339

Another Antonine coin with a temple - similar to the previous one. I loved Faustina's portrait on this one and the overall aspect of the coin.

image.png.d0ab6ea59bebaa717fd7c37a94d1eeab.png

GETA. (209-212). Rome. Denarius. 18 mm, 3.1 g
P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT. Laureate head right. / TR P III COS II P P. Janus standing facing, holding sceptre and thunderbolt.
BMC 12; RSC 197a; RIC 79

I was on a Geta spree this year as I really wanted this unfortunate ruler to be present in my collection. I bought 2 interesting provincials, a Denarius with him as Caesar (another contender) but really wanted a coin as Augustus, with a mature portrait. These are not easy to get. I was almost sure a coin in this condition PLUS a Janus reverse will reach an obscene hammer price. It didn't. I am very happy with this coin.

image.png.f855d9214147be7dcf942842607e0f8d.png

Domitian AD 81-96. Rome. Quadrans Æ 17 mm, 2,14 g
84-85. Rhinoceros walking left. Rev. IMP DOMIT AVG GERM around large S C. BMC 498. Cohen 674.  RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 251; RIC II 435; Sear RCV I (2000), 2835

A great write-up from @David Atherton here  - this coin represents heavy propaganda.
Another type I wanted a lot and kept searching for one showing the rhinoceros properly, with all physical details. The coin has surface issues. But I am not bothered, because this would have been out of my range with perfect surfaces. Also it is the scarcer type, with the legend starting at 1 o clock.

image.png.ce49d3c2a7c7d3f45b865607dc6cb719.png

Nero AD 54-68. Rome. Denarius AR. 20 mm, 2,65 g

Struck circa AD 64-65. NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS, laureate head right / [AVGVST]VS AVGVSTA, Nero, radiate and togate, standing left, holding patera in right hand and long scepter in right; to right, empress (Poppaea?), veiled and draped, standing left, holding patera in right hand and cornucopia in left. Note – some sources (Sear) indicate that the reverse characters are Augustus and Livia. RIC I 45; WCN 55; RSC 43; BMCRE 54-5; BN 201.

I recently raised a topic about this coin. It is one of those where I checked the auction weeks before it, making sure the price does not go up to the sky. Of course, the condition meant the coin would remain at a decent price (in theory) but I didn't want to spend more than 150 euros on it.
I love this coin. Nero's portrait is decent, with full legends visible. The reverse is a rare type - unfortunately worn. But identifiable, interesting reverse motif (I don't know if there is a similar coin from a different emperor)... and a Nero coin!

image.png.d6552fbadac82589fb6a7c81f3cdf741.png

Faustina II AD 147-175. Rome. Denarius AR. 18 mm, 3,36 g
AD 176-180. DIVA FAVSTINA PIA, bust of Diva Faustina II, hair waved and fastened in a bun on back of head, draped, right / CONSECRATIO, crescent and seven stars, one within it, and surrounded by six
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 750; BMC 718; RSC 83.

This was the last coin I acquired in 2022. Although a chunk is missing, it does not alter the reverse. I find the portrait magnificent and the reverse was something I always wanted - crescent and stars.

Thanks for looking and voting!

Edited by ambr0zie
typos
  • Like 11
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

21 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

That time of the year has come... to present what I consider my best Roman Imperial coins from 2022.
This remains my main focus on collecting. It was a rich year from this point of view - 62 imperial coins acquired, more than half of my total coins (108). Not easy to pick some and I left outside of the top some coins that would have deserved a place, perhaps. Condition is not the primary factor for buying and liking them, but I am trying to add coins in decent condition to avoid the question for myself "why did I spent money on this". I prefer interesting reverses, coins that are important historically, coins with a form of propaganda.
The order is the one they arrived in my collection.

image.png.14e76499e6b0e9421e9860d5bac92edd.png

Maximinus I Thrax AD 235-238. Rome Denarius AR. 21 mm, 2,38 g.
AD 236
MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, bust of Maximinus I, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right / P M TR P II COS P P, Maximinus Thrax, in military attire, standing left between two standard, raising right hand and leaning to left on spear held in left hand
RIC IV Maximinus Thrax 4; RSC 56

Legendary Maximinus. A giant more than 2,4 meters tall, who wore his wife’s bracelet as a thumb ring and drank 18 bottles of wine at a normal meal. Not sure how much of this is exaggeration but he remains a pivotal point in Roman history, as the first barracks emperor and the beginning of a very uncertain era of the Empire. He never visited Rome and his end was brutal and bloody. 
I bought this coin because I liked the portrait, I think it's very realistic and clearly shows the acromegaly.

image.png.7e6d500598c7988e084774a727705d02.png

Trajan AD 98-117. Rome Denarius AR. 19 mm, 3,02 g
IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, bust of Trajan, laureate, right / S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI Dacian, wearing peaked cap, in attitude of mourning, seated right on oval shield; curved sword (falx) below
Date Range: AD 103 - AD 111
RIC II Trajan 219, RSC 529, BMC 175

Living in a territory that once was Dacia made me bery interested in coins related to Dacian wars. I was particularily interested in this type, showing a Dacian (woman) and in "exergue" one of the traditional Dacian weapons, the falx. This coin was mandatory in my top 10 as it was in a very high position in my bucket list.

image.png.bc7263fdae9f2009c058b626c621a50b.png

Vespasian AD 69-79. AR Denarius 3,38gr. Rome
July- December AD 71. IMP CAES VESP AVG P M, head of Vespasian, laureate, right / AVGVR TRI POT, Simpulum, sprinkler, jug and lituus
RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 4, old RIC II Vespasian 30, RSC 43, BMC 50

One of my favorite emperors (with a slightly different portrait than we all know) paired with one of my favorite reverses. Too bad the die was not in the best shape so the lituus is not fully displayed - but I consider this a minor fault.

image.png.a637442468f54211d3b707f2246c41f2.png

Julia Domna. Augusta AD 193-217. Rome. Sestertius Æ. AD 193-196. 30 mm, 25,51 g
IVLIA DOMNA AVG, bust of Julia Domna, hair waved and coiled at back, draped, right / VENERI VICTR S C, Venus, naked to waist, standing left, holding apple in extended right hand and palm sloped over left shoulder in left hand, resting left elbow on column
RIC IV Septimius Severus 842; Cohen 195; BMC 488.

This is one of my favorite reverse types and extremely popular. I have this Sestertius, 2 denarii from Domna and a Titus denarius. I know there are other rulers with similar types and I intend to snag more. But having it on a Sestertius, in a condition I consider decent (the honest wear is not something to make me skip a coin, especially if I consider it pleasant, without major surface issues and completely identifiable).

image.png.fcd2128f0b5a7e5cfb7cb8abc189e154.png

ANTONINUS PIUS.(138-161). Sestertius. Rome. AD 158-159 28 mm, 17.2 g
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, laureate bust right / [TEMPL DIVI AVG] REST COS IIII SC, octastyle temple, with figure of Divus Augustus between two reclining figures on pediment, quadriga at top of roofline, acroteria (Romulus on left, Aeneas bearing Anchises on right) at bottom of roofline, and containing cult images of Divus Augustus and Diva Livia. Restored under Antoninus Pius in AD 158, the Temple of Divus Augustus housed seated statues of Augustus and Livia and was octastyle in the Corinthian order. RIC III Antoninus Pius 787

Another favorite emperor (I always lived Pius portraits) - but the reverse was the determining factor for buying this coin. Great architectural depiction. This type is scarce and expensive in better conditions and I was extremely glad to get it cheaply.

image.png.84deb2efd183f3b889c79aac03d0c3ab.png

Diva Faustina I. Rome. Denarius AR, struck AD 150. 18 mm, 3,29 g
DIVA FAVSTINA, bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved in several loops round head and drawn up and coiled on top / AED DIV FAVSTINAE, hexastyle temple in which is seated a figure of Faustina Senior, outer most columns contain standing figure holding vertical lit torch, Victories as acroteria, peacock in pediment, roof surmounted by quadriga. RIC III Antoninus Pius 343; RSC 1; BMC 339

Another Antonine coin with a temple - similar to the previous one. I loved Faustina's portrait on this one and the overall aspect of the coin.

image.png.d0ab6ea59bebaa717fd7c37a94d1eeab.png

GETA. (209-212). Rome. Denarius. 18 mm, 3.1 g
P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT. Laureate head right. / TR P III COS II P P. Janus standing facing, holding sceptre and thunderbolt.
BMC 12; RSC 197a; RIC 79

I was on a Geta spree this year as I really wanted this unfortunate ruler to be present in my collection. I bought 2 interesting provincials, a Denarius with him as Caesar (another contender) but really wanted a coin as Augustus, with a mature portrait. These are not easy to get. I was almost sure a coin in this condition PLUS a Janus reverse will reach an obscene hammer price. It didn't. I am very happy with this coin.

image.png.f855d9214147be7dcf942842607e0f8d.png

Domitian AD 81-96. Rome. Quadrans Æ 17 mm, 2,14 g
84-85. Rhinoceros walking left. Rev. IMP DOMIT AVG GERM around large S C. BMC 498. Cohen 674.  RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Domitian 251; RIC II 435; Sear RCV I (2000), 2835

A great write-up from @David Atherton here  - this coin represents heavy propaganda.
Another type I wanted a lot and kept searching for one showing the rhinoceros properly, with all physical details. The coin has surface issues. But I am not bothered, because this would have been out of my range with perfect surfaces. Also it is the scarcer type, with the legend starting at 1 o clock.

image.png.ce49d3c2a7c7d3f45b865607dc6cb719.png

Nero AD 54-68. Rome. Denarius AR. 20 mm, 2,65 g

Struck circa AD 64-65. NERO CAESAR AVGVSTVS, laureate head right / [AVGVST]VS AVGVSTA, Nero, radiate and togate, standing left, holding patera in right hand and long scepter in right; to right, empress (Poppaea?), veiled and draped, standing left, holding patera in right hand and cornucopia in left. Note – some sources (Sear) indicate that the reverse characters are Augustus and Livia. RIC I 45; WCN 55; RSC 43; BMCRE 54-5; BN 201.

I recently raised a topic about this coin. It is one of those where I checked the auction weeks before it, making sure the price does not go up to the sky. Of course, the condition meant the coin would remain at a decent price (in theory) but I didn't want to spend more than 150 euros on it.
I love this coin. Nero's portrait is decent, with full legends visible. The reverse is a rare type - unfortunately worn. But identifiable, interesting reverse motif (I don't know if there is a similar coin from a different emperor)... and a Nero coin!

image.png.d6552fbadac82589fb6a7c81f3cdf741.png

Faustina II AD 147-175. Rome. Denarius AR. 18 mm, 3,36 g
AD 176-180. DIVA FAVSTINA PIA, bust of Diva Faustina II, hair waved and fastened in a bun on back of head, draped, right / CONSECRATIO, crescent and seven stars, one within it, and surrounded by six
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 750; BMC 718; RSC 83.

This was the last coin I acquired in 2022. Although a chunk is missing, it does not alter the reverse. I find the portrait magnificent and the reverse was something I always wanted - crescent and stars.

Thanks for looking and voting!

Ozie, Excellent group of coins 😊. My favorites are #4, the Julia Domna sestertius, & #7, the Geta denarius with the unusual depiction of Janus on the reverse 😍.

• Like 1