Qcumbor’s top 10 list of the year 2022

Qcumbor

Hi friends 

2022 has been a very good year in terms of numismatic acquisitions. Not many coins (20-ish ancient and a dozen of french, Dombes, royal or revolution) but some important targets for me. For the first time in years I’m able to post a top 10 instead of my usual top 6, when I’d rather need a top 12 or 15 : go figure, there’s not enough room in this top 10 for the 1575 Dombes demi-pistole I posted a writeup about a few weeks ago !

Posting my list in the « General » sub forum allows for some latitude as to what will be included, hence you will see here coins from my various fields of interest, ancient Rome, feudal Dombes and France. They are listed from 10 to 1 in order of today’s preference. Only # 1 would be # 1 any day, the others’ order might vary from one day to another, depending on my mood.

10 – French revolution, Constitution – Demi ecu de trois livres

My wife’s fault !

She doesn’t collect coins, most often she vaguely looks at them thinking they all look alike. Exception made for the french Revolution. She loves this part of french History, the new ideas that raised about human rights, abolition of slavery, feminism, etc…. before it all drowned in the « Terreur » maelstrom. She often says « should I collect coins, it would be that of the french revolution era ». As a husband I have no other goal in life than to please her, thus I decided I would start a sub collection dedicated to the french revolution !

To date, the most prominent I acquired is this demi ecu

1c4e11f49b09448e8dcf58f1fbde5e90.jpg

France, Constitution - Demi écu de trois livres 1792 CE - Atelier de Paris (A)
LOUIS XVI ROI DES FRANCOIS . à l'exergue 1792, buste à gauche. Au dessus de la date, léopard, différent du directeur Alexandre-Louis Röettiers de Montaleau (1791-1793)
REGNE DE LA LOI, le genie de la liberté a droite, gravant la CONSTITUTION. Dans le champ à gauche, faisceau de licteur surmonté d'un bonnet phrygien et lyre, différent du graveur François Bernier (1774-1793). Dans le champ à droite, coq et lettre d'atelier A (Paris). A l'exergue L'AN 4 DE LA LIBERTE. en deux lignes. Signature Dupré sur le piedestal.
14,65 gr - 33 mm
Ref : Ciani # 2240, Gadoury # 43

Provenance : privately acquired from an Ebay seller, january 2022

9 – Roman Republic, Imperatorial – Mn Acilius Glabrio denarius : back to coin fairs !

Last may, I was able to go back to an actual coin fair for the first time in more than three years. It was very nice to see again collectors from the coin club I belong to, walk the alleys, hold coins, look at them closely through a magnifier, instead of a computer screen. The Lyon annual coin fair isn’t a major one, even though there would probably be enough material and customers to have it bigger. Anyway, it’s a nice event, and ancient stuff represent a big half of the offering IMO. I eventually stopped at a dealer’s I had previously bought from and found there two republican coins. The better one is a Mn Acilius Glabrio denarius, minted 49 BCE. According to Sear’s HCRI, Acilius was probably holding the office of moneyer when Caesar arrived to Rome and decided to support the new regime. « Acilius’ coinage is a large and important one and must have played a vital role in the opening phase of Caesar’s rule in Rome »

6eab57814aab4a468b9e7cbcd88209f6.jpg

Mn. Acilius Glabrio, Denarius - Rome mint, 49 BCE
Laureate head of Salus right, SALVTIS behind
MN ACILIVS III. VIR VALETV, Valetudo standing left holding snake and resting on a column
3.98 gr - 18,5 mm
Ref : HCRI # 16, RCV # 412, RSC, Acilia # 8, Crawford # 442/1

Provenance : privately acquired from Montay numismatics, may 2022

8 – Louis XVI – Double Louis d’or aux écus accolés

A double ecu d’or is something quite impressive in hand. It has the size and weight of a Liberty 10 dollars. I was attracted to that one by its nice reddish toning, reminding me of the Boscoreale hoard aurei that I will never own . Also, it is from the Lyon mint which is one hour away from where I live (that’s some kind of solid reason to buy a gold coin if you want to know …)

0409b3cf26cc4873ac17d89ccb78510b.jpg

LOUIS XVI, Double louis d’or dit "aux écus accolés" - Lyon mint, 1786 CE
LUD. XVI. D. G. FR. - ET NAV. REX. Tête nue de Louis XVI à gauche, signé DUVIV. sur la tranche du cou. Sous le buste, abeille, différent du directeur Jean-Claude Gabet.
CHRS. REGN. VINC. IMPER (MG) 1786.  Deux écus accolés de France et de Navarre, sous une couronne ; D (Lyon)
28 mm - 15,36 gr - 6h
Ref : Ciani # 2182, Dy # 1706

Provenance : CGB live auction 06 september 2022

7 – Vespasian – Antoninianus struck under Trajan Decius for the « Divi Series »

A main collecting theme of mine, as some of you already know 😉, is the « Divi series » minted under Trajan Decius in honour of the previous « good emperors » (good in the views of that time, the whimsical and erratic Commodus being on the list). I had already completed the series a few years ago, when a very nice example featuring Vespasian/Eagle was auctioned at Naville last june, that I couldn’t ignore. I made my duty…

b46d080eb7da4eb7abba4a6710995474.jpg

Vespasianus, Antoninianus - Rome mint 250/251 CE
DIVO VESPASIANO Radiate head right
CONSECRATIO Eagle facing
2.71 gr
Ref : RIC IV # 79, Cohen # 651, RCV # 9460,

Provenance : Naville auction # 74/418

6 – Roman Republic, Imperatorial – Brutus denarius

If every roman republic coin collector looks for something related to Brutus in their trays, not everyone can afford an EID MAR denarius, meaning we have to compromise. Several options are offered to us plebeians in numismatics, one of them being the denarius featuring the Man’s ancestors. Even that, when in pristine condition can set you back a few bucks. I’ve been lucky enough to snap one at Leu web auction in december 2021 (I count it with 2022 acquisitions as I got it in the mail early in january). Far from the best example ever, but my wallet had to like it too.

10af7aa8f6e645afa595a90dae9e685f.jpg

M. Junius Brutus, Denarius - Rome mint, 54 BCE.
BRVTVS Bearded head of L. Junius Brutus to right
AHALA Bearded head of C. Servilius Ahala to right
19 mm - 3.48 g - 6 h
Ref : RCV # 398, RSC, Junia # 30, Babelon (Junia) # 31. Crawford # 433/2. RBW # 1543. Sydenham # 907.

Provenance : Leu web Auction # 18/2502, Ex Leu Web Auction # 16/3307 and Heritage Europe # 62/3039.

5 – Julia domna – Emesa tetradrachm

Putting together a nice group of Syro-phenician tetradrachms is a major goal of mine (among too many others ). For years Julia Domna has been a target, thus finding one at Ira & Larry Goldberg auction last june was nice. Even nicer was a hammer price at less than half what it sold for at CNG ten years ago.

cc3acad860d54fdfa920cad627e18d59.jpg

Julia Domna, Epouse de Septime Sévère (13/04/193-04/02/211 CE) - Augusta (194-217 CE) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Emese - circa 215-217 CE, officine O
IOYΛIA · · · AYΓOYCTA  Buste drapé et diadémé de Julia à droite, vu par l'avant
ΔHΜΑPX· · ΕΞ OYCIAC· Aigle de face, les ailes déployées, la tête à gauche, tenant une couronne dans son bec. Entre les pattes, buste radié, drapé et cuirassé de Shamash à gauche. Sous la tête de l'aigle O
26 mm - 13,97 gr - 6h
Ref : Prieur # 995,

Provenance : Ira & Larry Goldberg auction # 128/2361, Ex CNG Sale # 91/632.

3 & 4 – First tetrarchy – two argentei from the Adrian Lang collection

Since I’ve had two argentei of the first tetrachy (Diocletianus and Constantius) for quite a long time, completing the series with the two other dudes has been rather high on my list in the last couple of decades. The Leu floor auction #12, last may, gave me the opportunity to adding them both at once.

34cee5d10c3c4dfe90f34e48056dec6e.jpg

Maximianus, first reign, 286-305 CE. Argenteus - Serdica, circa 303-305 CE
MAXIMIA-NVS AVG Laureate head of Maximianus to right. 
VIRTVS MILITVM / •SM•SDA• Campgate with three turrets and no doors.
19 mm - 3.43 g -12 h
Ref : Gautier 5. RIC 1b var. (unrecorded officina). RSC 627a.

Provenance : Leu Auction # 12/1501, From the collection of Dipl.-Ing. Adrian Lang and from the collection of a maître cuisinier, Leu Auction # 10/2363, previously acquired before 2005.

8ab512b724f04923b0f47ddccb426bef.jpg

Galerius, as Caesar, 293-305 CE. Argenteus - Thessalonica, circa 302 CE.
MAXIMIA-NVS NOB C Laureate head of Galerius to right.
CONCORD-IA MI-LITVM / TS•Γ• Campgate with four turrets, open doors and star above gate.
19 mm - 3.47 g - 11 h
Ref : Gautier 7 corr. (reverse legend break). RIC 8 var. (unrecorded officina and differing reverse legend break). RSC 22A corr. (mint mark).

Provenance : Leu auction # 12/1534, From the collection of Dipl.-Ing. Adrian Lang, ex Roma XVIII/1227.

2 – Roman  Republic – Didrachm

An Hercules/She wolf suckling twins didrachm sitting alone in my trays for almost 20 years, made me feeling the absolute need for a companion coin (we sometimes need excuses…). Having failed many times because of shy bidding on my part on very nice examples selling waaaay above my means, I decided to try a go on this one, at the last Leu web auction, a couple of days ago. It is somewhat worn, but in a pleasant and even way.

0010-011.jpg.361e7db8d1dc9458d7928196e7945bfc.jpg

Roman Republic - Anonymous Didrachm – Rome mint, circa 240 BCE
Head of youthful Mars to right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet decorated with a griffin springing right.
ROMA Head of a bridled horse to right ; to left, sickle.
19 mm, 6.33 g, 6 h
Ref : Crawford # 25/1, HN Italy # 297, RBW # 38, Sydenham # 24.

Provenance : Leu webauction # 24/102. From an American collection of Roman Republican and Imperatorial coins, ex Künker # 174/488

1 – Dombes – 1576, unique to date demi-pistole

This year again, Dombes will take the first place in my top list : In the Dombes principality, gold coinage is rare to exceedingly rare, some types and years being only known by a handful, some even unique. It's the case here with this 1576 demi-pistole that's been stuck in a family collection for more than a century and popped up at Gadoury auction last march. 1576 as a year of mintage was unknown for a demi-pistole, and missing from every reference book or auction catalog I could check. Finding a new year of mintage is thrilling !

If it  seems likely they would have struck gold coins every year, even if only a few, as there are silver, billon and copper coins minted at the same time, I couldn’t imagine a new gold coin popping up (especially in such a good state of preservation), even less me putting my hands on it. Probably people overlooked the year of mintage and thought « well, it’s just another demi pistole, and quite an expensive one, let’s forget it ! ».

Cherry on the cake, as written above, it’s pedigreed to 1927 or before : Fernand David passed away in 1927, and his collection remained in his family until it’s been auctioned last march.

5f44905998a2471faffeb8bd6bc02dbd.jpg

Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582), Demi-pistole – 1576 CE - Atelier de Trévoux
+ LVDOVI . D . MONTISP . D . DOMBAR Ecu de Bourbon couronné
+ DNS . ADIVT . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1576 : Croix feuillue
3.29 gr - 
Unique exemplaire à ce jour
Ref : Divo Dombes -, Friedberg -, Poey d'Avant -, Mantellier -, Sirand -, Boudeau –

Provenance : collection Fernand David, vente Gadoury du 12/03/2022 # 545

Thanks for looking, commenting and adding anything you find relevant (or irrelevant all the same).

Enjoy the end of the year, merry Christmas and happy new year to you all, my coin friends from all over the world.

Io Saturnalia !

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 34
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 12

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

Hi friends 

2022 has been a very good year in terms of numismatic acquisitions. Not many coins (20-ish ancient and a dozen of french, Dombes, royal or revolution) but some important targets for me. For the first time in years I’m able to post a top 10 instead of my usual top 6, when I’d rather need a top 12 or 15 : go figure, there’s not enough room in this top 10 for the 1575 Dombes demi-pistole I posted a writeup about a few weeks ago !

Posting my list in the « General » sub forum allows for some latitude as to what will be included, hence you will see here coins from my various fields of interest, ancient Rome, feudal Dombes and France. They are listed from 10 to 1 in order of today’s preference. Only # 1 would be # 1 any day, the others’ order might vary from one day to another, depending on my mood.

My wife’s fault !

She doesn’t collect coins, most often she vaguely looks at them thinking they all look alike. Exception made for the french Revolution. She loves this part of french History, the new ideas that raised about human rights, abolition of slavery, feminism, etc…. before it all drowned in the « Terreur » maelstrom. She often says « should I collect coins, it would be that of the french revolution era ». As a husband I have no other goal in life than to please her, thus I decided I would start a sub collection dedicated to the french revolution !

LOUIS XVI ROI DES FRANCOIS . à l'exergue 1792, buste à gauche. Au dessus de la date, léopard, différent du directeur Alexandre-Louis Röettiers de Montaleau (1791-1793)
REGNE DE LA LOI, le genie de la liberté a droite, gravant la CONSTITUTION. Dans le champ à gauche, faisceau de licteur surmonté d'un bonnet phrygien et lyre, différent du graveur François Bernier (1774-1793). Dans le champ à droite, coq et lettre d'atelier A (Paris). A l'exergue L'AN 4 DE LA LIBERTE. en deux lignes. Signature Dupré sur le piedestal.
14,65 gr - 33 mm

9 – Roman Republic, Imperatorial – Mn Acilius Glabrio denarius : back to coin fairs !

Last may, I was able to go back to an actual coin fair for the first time in more than three years. It was very nice to see again collectors from the coin club I belong to, walk the alleys, hold coins, look at them closely through a magnifier, instead of a computer screen. The Lyon annual coin fair isn’t a major one, even though there would probably be enough material and customers to have it bigger. Anyway, it’s a nice event, and ancient stuff represent a big half of the offering IMO. I eventually stopped at a dealer’s I had previously bought from and found there two republican coins. The better one is a Mn Acilius Glabrio denarius, minted 49 BCE. According to Sear’s HCRI, Acilius was probably holding the office of moneyer when Caesar arrived to Rome and decided to support the new regime. « Acilius’ coinage is a large and important one and must have played a vital role in the opening phase of Caesar’s rule in Rome »

MN ACILIVS III. VIR VALETVALBINVS BRVTI F, Valetudo standing left holding snake and resting on a column
3.98 gr - 18,5 mm

8 – Louis XVI – Double écu d’or aux écus accolés

A double ecu d’or is something quite impressive in hand. It has the size and weight of a Liberty 10 dollars. I was attracted to that one by its nice reddish toning, reminding me of the Boscoreale hoard aurei that I will never own . Also, it is from the Lyon mint which is one hour away from where I live (that’s some kind of solid reason to buy a gold coin if you want to know …)

LUD. XVI. D. G. FR. - ET NAV. REX. Tête nue de Louis XVI à gauche, signé DUVIV. sur la tranche du cou
CHRS. REGN. VINC. IMPER (MG) 1786.  Deux écus accolés de France et de Navarre, sous une couronne ; D (Lyon)
28 mm - 15,36 gr - 6h

A main collecting theme of mine, as some of you already know 😉, is the « Divi series » minted under Trajan Decius in honour of the previous « good emperors » (good in the views of that time, the whimsical and erratic Commodus being on the list). I had already completed the series a few years ago, when a very nice example featuring Vespasian/Eagle was auctioned at Naville last june, that I couldn’t ignore. I made my duty…

CONSECRATIO Eagle facing
2.71 gr

If every roman republic coin collector looks for something related to Brutus in their trays, not everyone can afford an EID MAR denarius, meaning we have to compromise. Several options are offered to us plebeians in numismatics, one of them being the denarius featuring the Man’s ancestors. Even that, when in pristine condition can set you back a few bucks. I’ve been lucky enough to snap one at Leu web auction in december 2021 (I count it with 2022 acquisitions as I got it in the mail early in january). Far from the best example ever, but my wallet had to like it too.

19 mm - 3.48 g - 6 h
Ref : RCV # 398, RSC, Junia # 30, Babelon (Junia) # 31. Crawford # 433/2. RBW # 1543. Sydenham # 907.

Provenance : Leu web Auction # 18/2502, Ex Leu Web Auction # 16/3307 and Heritage Europe # 62/3039.

Putting together a nice group of Syro-phenician tetradrachms is a major goal of mine (among too many others ). For years Julia Domna has been a target, thus finding one at Ira & Larry Goldberg auction last june was nice. Even nicer was a hammer price at less than half what it sold for at CNG ten years ago.

Julia Domna, Epouse de Septime Sévère (13/04/193-04/02/211 CE) - Augusta (194-217 CE) - Tetradrachme de billon de l'atelier d'Emese - circa 215-217 CE, officine O
ΔHΜΑPX· · ΕΞ OYCIAC· Aigle de face, les ailes déployées, la tête à gauche, tenant une couronne dans son bec. Entre les pattes, buste radié, drapé et cuirassé de Shamash à gauche. Sous la tête de l'aigle O
26 mm - 13,97 gr - 6h

Since I’ve had two argentei of the first tetrachy (Diocletianus and Constantius) for quite a long time, completing the series with the two other dudes has been rather high on my list in the last couple of decades. The Leu floor auction #12, last may, gave me the opportunity to adding them both at once.

19 mm - 3.43 g -12 h

Provenance : Leu Auction # 12/1501, From the collection of Dipl.-Ing. Adrian Lang and from the collection of a maître cuisinier, Leu Auction # 10/2363, previously acquired before 2005.

CONCORD-IA MI-LITVM / TS•Γ• Campgate with four turrets, open doors and star above gate.
19 mm - 3.47 g - 11 h
Ref : Gautier 7 corr. (reverse legend break). RIC 8 var. (unrecorded officina and differing reverse legend break). RSC 22A corr. (mint mark).

Provenance : Leu auction # 12/1534, From the collection of Dipl.-Ing. Adrian Lang, ex Roma XVIII/1227.

An Hercules/She wolf suckling twins didrachm sitting alone in my trays for almost 20 years, made me feeling the absolute need for a companion coin (we sometimes need excuses…). Having failed many times because of shy bidding on my part on very nice examples selling waaaay above my means, I decided to try a go on this one, at the last Leu web auction, a couple of days ago. It is somewhat worn, but in a pleasant and even way.

Head of youthful Mars to right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet decorated with a griffin springing right.
19 mm, 6.33 g, 6 h

Provenance : Leu webauction # 24/102. From an American collection of Roman Republican and Imperatorial coins, ex Künker # 174/488

This year again, Dombes will take the first place in my top list : In the Dombes principality, gold coinage is rare to exceedingly rare, some types and years being only known by a handful, some even unique. It's the case here with this 1576 demi-pistole that's been stuck in a family collection for more than a century and popped up at Gadoury auction last march. 1576 as a year of mintage was unknown for a demi-pistole, and missing from every reference book or auction catalog I could check. Finding a new year of mintage is thrilling !

If it  seems likely they would have struck gold coins every year, even if only a few, as there are silver, billon and copper coins minted at the same time, I couldn’t imagine a new gold coin popping up (especially in such a good state of preservation), even less me putting my hands on it. Probably people overlooked the year of mintage and thought « well, it’s just another demi pistole, and quite an expensive one, let’s forget it ! ».

Cherry on the cake, as written above, it’s pedigreed to 1927 or before : Fernand David passed away in 1927, and his collection remained in his family until it’s been auctioned last march.

Dombes - Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582), Demi-pistole – 1576 CE - Atelier de Trévoux
3.29 gr - 
Ref : Divo Dombes -, Friedberg -, Poey d'Avant -, Mantellier -, Sirand -, Boudeau –

Thanks for looking, commenting and adding anything you find relevant (or irrelevant all the same).

Enjoy the end of the year, merry Christmas and happy new year to you all, my coin friends from all over the world.

Io Saturnalia !

Q

Q, You had an exceptional year with an eclectic assortment of wonderful coins 😊! My favorite, which should be no surprise, is #5 the Julia Domna tet from the Emesa mint 😍. What a wonderful MS example 😃. I'm also impressed with #8 the double ecu of Louis XVI, & #3/4 the two argentei 🤩.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very nice and varied grouping.  I think my favorite is actually #10.  It's a gorgeous design, and I like the idea of commemorating Liberty and the Rule of Law so prominently.  Plus, I like the inherent tension between the obverse and reverse- reflecting how France was still partway between a Monarchy and a Republic and hadn't fully committed to the latter course.  I've eyed this type in auctions before but never committed to bidding a realistic amount.  Maybe in 2023...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Qcumbor said:

Hi friends 

My wife’s fault !

14,65 gr - 33 mm

MN ACILIVS III. VIR VALETV, Valetudo standing left holding snake and resting on a column
3.98 gr - 18,5 mm

8 – Louis XVI – Double écu d’or aux écus accolés

LUD. XVI. D. G. FR. - ET NAV. REX. Tête nue de Louis XVI à gauche, signé DUVIV. sur la tranche du cou
28 mm - 15,36 gr - 6h

CONSECRATIO Eagle facing
2.71 gr

19 mm - 3.48 g - 6 h

26 mm - 13,97 gr - 6h

19 mm - 3.43 g -12 h

19 mm - 3.47 g - 11 h

19 mm, 6.33 g, 6 h

3.29 gr - 

Io Saturnalia !

Q

Great, my vote goes for 7, 3, 4 with a particular interest in 7 and 4

• Like 1

Those are ten beautiful coins that show both your excellent taste and multifaceted collecting interests!

The demi-pistole is, of course, objectively fantastic. Personally, though, I have a huge soft spot for the Republican didrachm. That is a very attractive example of the type.

• Thanks 1

These are all absolutely wonderful Q! My favorites are the Dombes (your posts on these have helped me to appreciate them), the Didrachm and the Brutus.

I went with the other available plebeian option for Brutus.

D16AE262-B722-4249-8842-CFF3C933B51A.jpeg.9c6fdadcccaf45e84eb914a4e03fa800.jpeg

I also have a special mention for your Galerius Argenteus.  The reverse is great and seems to offer a clear connection between the early Roman camp reverse with the sacrificing tetrarchs and the later campgates. The treatment of the top of the towers is especially interesting. They look like they show a pitched roof on the towers. I wonder if the later circular ball on top of the later campgate towers is a stylized version of this.

Great year my friend!

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats again @Qcumbor on the unique Dombes demi-pistole... but my favourite moderns on your list are the double Louis d'or (is that a bee? cute!) and the Revolutionary demi-écu (I share M's fascination with the revolution!)  As for the ancients, the didrachm really grabs me, with its even wear, lovely toning, and beautiful style... such a fabulous coin!!

I also managed to snag a difficult Roman didrachm this year, and it's definitely going to make my list:

image.jpeg.dfa4e82e9c3794edc4115a827d2d35ef.jpegCongrats on a fabulous coin year... and thanks also for the large part you played in making my year a good one, despite all its challenges! 🤗

• Like 3
  • Clap 1