questions about Sear 1230 'Constantine IV' half siliqua

Nerosmyfavorite68

I'm referring to the type with a crude bust on the obverse, reverse kind of looks like a star.  I've seen it also called a TX monogram.

Does anyone here have one?  Why do weights of coins attributed to Sear 1230 vary wildly, from 0.30 g to c. 1g? Are similar issues from different time periods being lumped together?

Which ones are the true Italian mint ones, if any?  Is there hoard evidence for an Italian attribution?

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 3

• Nerosmyfavorite68 changed the title to questions about Sear 1230 'Constantine IV' half siliqua

Weights vary because they were supposedly made over 2 centuries starting as a commemorative in the 4th century, the later looking cruder and weighing less. I would like to see more information these.

b282.jpg.22a3b6e292192933918266e365df7f63.jpg

Justinian I
530 AD
Mint: Constantinople
AR Scripulum or 1/3 Siliqua
Obvs: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantinopolis right.
Revs: Large TX monogram.
11x14mm, 0.51g
Bendall, Anonymous Type 12

And a related issue

b278.jpg.4d64d83b3cf90e0e1ddc5dfd438bfd24.jpg

Commemorating Constantinople
5th/6th c. AD
Mint: Constantinople
AR Scripulum
Obvs: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantinopolis right.
Revs: Large K.
13x15mm, 1.07g
Bendall 8c

• Like 7

The ones I'm wondering about are new additions to London Ancient coins.  However, my interest is greatly reduced if they're probably not from Italy.  Some seem to have a bona fide helmet or crown, others seem to be busts, at least to my eyes.

I'm trying to decide what to get for my regular buy.

I'd kind of like a Siliqua of Honorius, but the non-clipped (or lightly clipped) offerings are quite pricey.

Im guessing you guys saw that grouping of those coins listed recently too? To me, they have that 6th-7th century Constantinople siliqua fabric and style to them, so I’d guess that’s where they are from. And I’m not just saying that because I’ve exhausted my coin budget for the moment and can’t buy one 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

The ones I'm wondering about are new additions to London Ancient coins.  However, my interest is greatly reduced if they're probably not from Italy.  Some seem to have a bona fide helmet or crown, others seem to be busts, at least to my eyes.

I'd kind of like a Siliqua of Honorius, but the non-clipped (or lightly clipped) offerings are quite pricey.

If you want one from Rome it will need to be a P or R.

• Like 1

Celator's comment above, referencing "Bendall, Anonymous Type 12" is very helpful. The full citation is Bendall, Simon: "Some comments on the anonymous silver coinage of the fourth to sixth centuries A.D." Revue Numismatique 158 (2002) pp. 139-159. Although I am spoiled by working in an excellent Classics Library, which has everything I ever would want in print, the article can be access electronically at: https://www.persee.fr/doc/numi_0484-8942_2002_num_6_158_1441, but without the plates.

I have a similar, but later half siliqua (?), given to Anastasius II. It is 0.78 gr. 14.6 mm. 7 hr. Unpublished in Sear, DO, Hahn, BNP, BM, Ratto.

Obverse: Anepigraphic. Crowned, draped, facing bust, wearing chlamys, and holding in right hand a globus cruciger, and in left, an akakia.

Reverse: Chrismon.

It’s perhaps better to denote the denomination as ceremonial silver. A second example appeared in NAC 23, 19 March 2002, lot 1740. The cataloger there stated “We have attributed this very interesting coin to the reign of Anastasius II, but it might well belong to that of Leo III.” Per private communication with Simon Bendall, he told me that our friend Cécile Morrisson acquired a third specimen, for the Bibliotheque Nationale (Sternberg 31, 1988, lot 579=Leu 36, May 1985, lot 392. 0.63 gr. ). She also obtained for Dumbarton Oaks the NAC example. 1.15 gr.. For a discussion of this coin, see C. Morrisson, “Imperial generosity and its monetary expression: the rise and decline of the Largesses”, in Donation et Donateurs dans le monde Byzantin,pp. 25-43, especially p. 40.

S1468B.jpg

Edited by voulgaroktonou
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

On 12/6/2022 at 11:07 PM, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Hue hue hue 

DCDB9622-DC9C-482D-87AF-C89EBA272999.jpeg.d751db4349facde80ceacddf0fb77f0d.jpeg
E82D81A2-BE0A-4AE5-899C-6F8DE92EC136.jpeg.292d7bebe7573cf818ab3fbf12006504.jpeg

• Like 7

How did they receive an 'uncertan Italian mint' attribution?  Because of the crudeness of the later issues?

My interest waned when I learned they probably were from Constantinople.  I don't have a Constantine IV, but I'd like to get a nice VF military bust issue from Syracuse.  The Justinianic follis issue is a bucket list coin.

I ended up ordering some completely different coins.

• Like 1