My Top Coins of 2022

Kazuma78

Favorites!?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose as many as you like.

• Shekel of Tyre
    • Sikyon Stater
    • Mithradates VI Tetradrachm
    • Ptolemy I Tetradrachm
    • Magnesia ad Maeandrum Tetradrachm
    • Kyzikos Hemihekte
    • Catuvellauni Celtic Stater
    • Metapontum Nomos
    • Eukratides Tetradrachm
    • Kassander Tet- in types of Philip II
    • Syracuse Gold 20 Litrai
    • Julius Caesar Elephant Denarius
    • Quadrigatus
    • Ambiani Gold Stater
    • Koson Stater
    • Kamarina AE Tetras
    • Seleucus Nikator Tetradrachm
    • Atrebates Quarter Stater
    • Larissa Drachm

22 hours ago, Jeremy said:

They're all exceptional - congrats on a successful year of collecting!

Thank you!! It's been a fun year for new acquisitions! 

3 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Boy, that's a tough lineup of coins to rate!  Each example is a fine representative of its type.  I have to select "all".

Thanks! I'm glad you like them since you also have a great eye! 

1 hour ago, Curtisimo said:

Absolutely wonderful group @Kazuma78. That Shekel of Tyre is far and away my favorite which is saying something because they are all great. 

Thanks! I think that is also my favorite for the year! The toning and luster is quite fantastic in person. 

1 hour ago, Jay GT4 said:

You had a fantastic year

Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

A spectacular set @Kazuma78 MIthridates and Eukratides I Megas get my vote.

Thanks for voting! The style of the Mithradates is artistic, which I love, and the Eukratides has some wonderful toning that makes it striking. 

11 hours ago, singig said:

I voted for six coins , my prefered is the Ptolemy I tetradrachm. Congratulations !

Thanks! It seems like the Ptolemy I is a favorite, it has the most votes currently. Always fun to see what is the most popular just for the heck of it. 

• Like 1

Amazing additions, from a historical perspective but also quality wise; all are magnificent coins. Congratulations on such a good year. To keep up with tradition, I picked 3 favorites, being the Sikyon Stater, the Ptolemy I Tetradrachm and the Seleucus Nikator Tetradrachm, although I doubted between the latter one and the drachm of Larissa. But the elephants pushed me in their direction, so ... 😉 

My favorite of the lot is your Sikyon stater (contrary to popular opinion). I'm simply drawn to the rendering of the Chimaera on the obverse. Such a beautiful design, and your specimen is of great quality, making all the lovely details visible. I also really enjoy the dove on the reverse, the feathers are beautifully engraved. I wish I will be able to add a specimen to my collection one day. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Limes said:

Amazing additions, from a historical perspective but also quality wise; all are magnificent coins. Congratulations on such a good year. To keep up with tradition, I picked 3 favorites, being the Sikyon Stater, the Ptolemy I Tetradrachm and the Seleucus Nikator Tetradrachm, although I doubted between the latter one and the drachm of Larissa. But the elephants pushed me in their direction, so ... 😉 

My favorite of the lot is your Sikyon stater (contrary to popular opinion). I'm simply drawn to the rendering of the Chimaera on the obverse. Such a beautiful design, and your specimen is of great quality, making all the lovely details visible. I also really enjoy the dove on the reverse, the feathers are beautifully engraved. I wish I will be able to add a specimen to my collection one day. 

Thanks! It's nice to see the Sikyon getting a little love. It's really a beautiful coin in hand. Even though I don't like white ancient coins, it's very well struck and the details in the Dove wings are fantastic- as you point out. 

• Like 1

This is a Pergamon mint Mithradates Vl coin 85 BC, 11th month  in the Triton auction January 2023?  Must have been minted with Fimbria knocking on the door...yeah maybe the door was opened by then!. The next 2 coins in the auction also say PERGAMON MINT, but this is impossible!   I think he was being chased by Lucullus, then Pompey Magnus at this time!  Anyone an expert on the peregrinations of Eupator?  Trouble is most books fail to give a who was where and when . Maybe I need to contact the professor!

I'm now NOT even sure that the one below is PERGAMON MINT! Its NOT even the standard monogram for Pergamon which you can find on his GOLD STATERS issues at Pergamon . Anyone got deCallatay  Les histories des guerres Mithradatiques vue la par les Monnaise.... and can read French!

image00184.jpg

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 5

WOW! @Kazuma78, every single one of these coins is jaw-dropping. I have tentatively picked out 6 or 7 favourites, but I haven't yet voted just in case you're willing to help me out. I'd have an easier time narrowing them down, I think, if you described your reason for including each one in your collection. Hearing about that could easily change my votes. That said, I understand that might entail quite a bit of effort on your part, so please only do it if you'd enjoy the process! 🙂 

That's an interesting issue about the Pergamon mint that @NewStyleKing brings up. Hopefully some future scholarship will sort it out. I wonder if the mint might have continued to produce Mithradatic coinage after Fimbria took the city in 85? He didn't remain there long and the coinage design wouldn't have been exactly a top priority!

In any case I do agree that your coin dated 222 probably isn't from Pergamon, though. Assuming the dating system is BE and therefore =75 BCE, Mithradates didn't have control of the city at that point. His push west didn't occur until the next year, in the Third Mithradatic War, and I don't think he even got as far south as Pergamon. The British Museum says this coin, dated one year later, was minted in Pontus. Also this 225 coin which has a monogram quite similar to the "Pergamon" monogram that NSK shows in his comment here, but with a diamond in place of a theta... really raises doubts that this is a Pergamon monogram. Probably makes sense to change the mint attribution of your coin to Pontus.

What a portrait though!!! 🤩

(For those unfamiliar with the history, Fimbria is a very interesting character.  It would be very cool to get a Pergamum coin dated to 85, or something otherwise connected with the guy.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

This is a Pergamon mint Mithradates Vl coin 85 BC, 11th month  in the Triton auction January 2023?  Must have been minted with Fimbria knocking on the door...yeah maybe the door was opened by then!. The next 2 coins in the auction also say PERGAMON MINT, but this is impossible!   I think he was being chased by Lucullus, then Pompey Magnus at this time!  Anyone an expert on the peregrinations of Eupator?  Trouble is most books fail to give a who was where and when . Maybe I need to contact the professor!

I'm now NOT even sure that the one below is PERGAMON MINT! Its NOT even the standard monogram for Pergamon which you can find on his GOLD STATERS issues at Pergamon . Anyone got deCallatay  Les histories des guerres Mithradatiques vue la par les Monnaise.... and can read French!

image00184.jpg

de Callataÿ p44 - The year is BIΣ (85 BC) the month is IA, August not December :

image.png.15d40e404f49980e69a1ab3c46f458f7.png

A new "idealized style" begins in July of 85 BC

July 85 roughly the date of the Treaty at Dardanos - the coin you show struck after the treaty with Sulla at Dardanos.

The style goes from "realistic" to "idealized" starting in July 85 and the staters at this time stop showing the mark of Pergamon which supports that Mithridates likely abandoned the city in early summer, narrowly escaping capture during the siege of Pergamon by Fimbria.

This stater from Feb 86 BC

image.png.3b035cd549e6f4bcca21e08b3c68bc12.png

This stater  from October 85 BC

image.png.e9aaa42b2d9db7a4c5c14c0c30b47caf.png

Here's what Appian has to say about Mithridates movements:

"Fimbria cut off his [Flaccus sent by Cinna] head and flung it into the sea, and left the remainder of his body unburied. Then he appointed himself commander of the army and fought several successful battles with the son of Mithridates. He drove the king himself into Pergamon. The latter escaped from Pergamon to Pitane. Fimbria followed him and tried to cut him off with a ditch. Then the king fled to Mitylene on a ship."

-Appian, Roman History 12. The Mithridatic War XXII.52

What de Callataÿ says about 85 BC:

image.png.f91d4b293c8df33c89c59b8472a29c83.png

"The end of the year 85 - The adoption of the idealized style for the tetradrachms, which occurred in the month of July 85 (BIΣ-I), does not seem to have been accompanied by a reorganization of the workshop as the two moneyers from April continue to sign the issues until October. The longevity of these two moneyers is far from being comparable, the first active more than 4 years, while the second is only attested for 7 months. On another matter, the change of style does not mean a slowdown in minting, which continued without interruption until the end of 85: 7 dies 24 examples"

Overall the tetradrachm @NewStyleKing listed (Triton Auction) is from August 85 and has a bithyno-pontic date - not quite clear to me where it was minted but assuming my translation is correct same engravers seem to have been involved.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3

@NewStyleKing @Severus Alexander @Sulla80

Thanks for the information and analysis of the Mithradates Tetradrachm Mint. To be honest, I didn't get a chance to research it as much as I would like to yet. I found a sale of the identical die type (I believe) and used most of the attribution from that. I attached it so you can see where I got the information from. 

Screenshot_20221204_191433_Chrome.jpg.de2f3945f54990870e1417d4cae13a00.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, Monograms but not an ethnic! The gold stater has the Pergamon ethnic!  

I have written to Francois deCallatay on academia, hopefully  I will get a reply!  I re-skimmed my copy of Mithradates, BUT as per usual they are light on dates and months and who precisely was doing what and where and WHEN to whom!  The Fimbria article on his Cistophori is the best I read on the pursuing of Mithradates and his generals!  

Dear Francois,
All the tetradrachms of Eupator for sale in Triton XXVl say Pergamon mint! The date of the coins are 206, 212, 223 and 231! I do not recognise the standard Pergamon monogram in any, ( as on Eupator's gold staters),and furthermore Eupator was not in control of Pergamon at any of those dates! Am I missing something? I cannot read French so, Les Histories.... is beyond me, sadly. I am also intrigued by the altered New Style of Mithradates with a Headdress of Iset replacing the Atheno/Pontic Star between 2 crescents in the BN!
I would love to hear your comments on points and pass on to a coin forum to those very few who would be interested!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

Yeah, Monograms but not an ethnic! The gold stater has the Pergamon ethnic!  

I have written to Francois deCallatay on academia, hopefully  I will get a reply!  I re-skimmed my copy of Mithradates, BUT as per usual they are light on dates and months and who precisely was doing what and where and WHEN to whom!  The Fimbria article on his Cistophori is the best I read on the pursuing of Mithradates and his generals!  

Dear Francois,
All the tetradrachms of Eupator for sale in Triton XXVl say Pergamon mint! The date of the coins are 206, 212, 223 and 231! I do not recognise the standard Pergamon monogram in any, ( as on Eupator's gold staters),and furthermore Eupator was not in control of Pergamon at any of those dates! Am I missing something? I cannot read French so, Les Histories.... is beyond me, sadly. I am also intrigued by the altered New Style of Mithradates with a Headdress of Iset replacing the Atheno/Pontic Star between 2 crescents in the BN!
I would love to hear your comments on points and pass on to a coin forum to those very few who would be interested!

Let us know what you hear  - FYI Witschonke echos Appian

"Assuming command, Fimbra vigorously pursued the conflict, defeating the identically named son of Mithridates in a major battle near the river Rhyndacus in early 85 (Magie 1950: 227) he then took Cyzicus and proceeded to Pergamům, where Mithradates had taken refuge.  When Pergamům fell to Fimbria, Mithradates escaped to Pitane, and ultimately to Mitylene, by sea. Having no fleet, Fimbria was powerless to stop Mithridates and Sulla's admiral Lucullus refused help (Magie 1950: 227-228; R VI 1909:2600). Fimbria then plundered his way northward and burned Ilium. Ironically, throughout this period, Sulla was engaged in peace negotiations with Mithridates and, in the fall of 85, the king was granted fairly generous terms, so that Sulla could turn his attention to Rome."

Witschonke, Richard B., and Michel Amandry. “Another Fimbria Cistophorus.” American Journal of Numismatics (1989-), vol. 16/17, 2004, pp. 87–92. JSTOR, http://www.jstor.org/stable/43580351. Accessed 6 Dec. 2022.
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 4:51 AM, Kazuma78 said:

I have been super blessed this year with my ancient coin purchases and barring some unforeseen luck in December (I have nothing left this year I am bidding on), I feel comfortable wrapping up my top coins list for the year. This has been a banner year for ancient coin additions and my best yet, mostly with a LOT of luck and so I wasn't able to narrow to a top 10, so I picked a top 20. Please feel free to vote or comment on your favorite(s) if you like and thanks for taking a look!!! I also apologize that not all of the photos are stellar. I need to get some better photos of a few of the coins. 

Tyre1.jpg.032985c5526e980cc0dee4a88a7f54fa.jpg

#1) Phoenicia, Tyre. 126/5 BC-AD 65/6. AR shekel (29mm, 14.27 gm, 12h). NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 5/5. Dated Civic Year 24 (103/2 BC). Laureate head of Melqart right, lion skin around neck / TYPOY IEPAΣ-KAI AΣYΛOY, eagle standing left on prow, palm frond over left wing; to left, ΔK (date) above club; to right, M, Phoenician alef between legs. DCA Tyre 77. DCA 919. Amazing toning with blue and purple hues.

Ex. Coin Galleries (Stacks) September 10, 2008, lot 138

Ex. Spink, April 1939

Sikyonmerge.jpg.9b8cbb7a1d57b442735ed4d8fa685227.jpg

#2) Sikyonia, Sikyon. Circa 335-330 BC. AR Stater (25 mm, 12.23 g, 3h). Chimaera standing left; wreath above, ΣE below / Dove flying left; N to left; all within wreath. BCD Peloponnesos 218; HGC 5, 201. Superb EF with brilliant lustrous surfaces. NGC CH AU Star Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5 Fine Style

Mithradateseupator.jpg.9cf45cd826aa2163322bd5caf83035a0.jpg

#3) Kings of Pontos. Mithradates VI Eupator. Circa 120-63 BC. AR Tetradrachm, Pergamom mint, dated month 9, year 222 BE (June 75 BC) (32mm, 16.82 g). Diademed head right / Stag grazing left; to left, star-in-crescent above monogram, BKΣ (year) above monogram; Θ (month) below; all within Dionysiac wreath of ivy and fruit. NGC AU Star Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5 Fine Style.

Ex. Gorny and Mosch Auction 138, lot 296 (March 2005)

Ptolemymerge.jpg.988e2a01cfa3720108816b39ec06fe45.jpg

#4) Ptolemaic Egypt. Ptolemy I, as Satrap (323-305/4 BC). AR tetradrachm (26mm, 15.65 gm). Circa 311-305/4 BC. Diademed head of Alexander right, wearing elephant skin headdress / ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟY, Athena Promachus advancing right, brandishing spear with right hand, shield on left arm; HA monogram within circle in left field, eagle and ΔI monogram in right field. Svoronos 142. SNG Copenhagen 21. NGC AU Star Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

Screenshot_20220601-185445_Chrome.jpg.0482691eb2afbf68eb98f753a357c9e1.jpg

#5) Ionia, Magnesia ad Maeandrum, circa 155-145 BC, Magistrate Herognetos, son of Zopryionos. AR Tetradrachm: 16.89 gm, 31 mm, 12 h (reduced Attic standard). Obverse: Draped bust of Artemis wearing a diadem, with bow and quiver over left shoulder. Reverse: Apollo Delphios leaning on tripod censer and holding a branch tied with fillet, meander pattern under feet. The inscription in the left field identifies the issuing authority, and the inscription in the right field translates "of the Magnesians", all within a laurel wreath. SNG von Aulock 7921, BMC Ionia pg. 162.

Roma Numismatics Ltd. Auction XX, lot 178, Oct. 2020

Heritage Auction 3081, lot 30081, NGC 2490574-004, Ch AU*, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5, Jan. 2020

CNG Triton VI, lot 357, Jan. 2003

Screenshot_20220531-092657_Chrome.jpg.5629d44f3dd4de2d54350382d3690177.jpg

#6) Mysia, Kyzikos, Hemihekte circa 480-460, EL 1.35 g. Naked male figure kneeling l., holding tunny fish by tail. Rev. Quadripartite incuse punch with irregular surfaces. von Fritze 112. Boston, MFA 1489. von Aulock 1202. In an exceptional state of preservation and perfectly struck and centered.

Ex Triton VI, 2003, 306.

Graded Ch AU* Strike 5/5 Surface 4/5, NGC certification number 6159317-006.

Celticfullstater.jpg.aadbdc4760ed60ba874a260028c7ad1f.jpg

#7) Celtic, Trinovantes & Catuvellauni. Addedomaros. Circa 40-30 BC. AV Stater (18mm, 5.43 g). Spiral type (Trinovantian J). Six-armed spiral of wreaths / Horse right; pellets-in-annulets around, 'cornucopia' below. Van Arsdell 1620-1; ABC 2517; SCBC 201. NGC AU Star, Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

Ex. Chris Rudd List 69, Lot 55 (Sold in 2003)

Found in Kings Langley, UK September 17, 2002

image00051.jpg.2f059d5a05b981ec3e8f3a82b3a217c8.jpg

#8) LUCANIA, Metapontion. Circa 290-280 BC. AR Nomos (21mm, 7.82 g, 1h). Head of Demeter right, wearing wreath of grain ears, triple-pendant earring, and necklace; Π behind neck / Barley ear with leaf to left; to left, head of ram right and |-A above leaf; META downward to right. Johnston Class D, 3.1 (this coin referenced and illustrated); HN Italy 1617; SNG Gale 663 (same dies). Good VF, deep gray tone with iridescent hues, small spot of weak strike on reverse.

Ex CNG Triton XXII (January 2019), lot 51 from the Gasvoda Collection, Ex Waddell inventory 51792 (April 2015); Numismatica Ars Classica P (12 May 2005), lot 1068; A. D. Moretti Collection.

Eucratidestet.jpg.ad8b51a856d0f9ab609a4903dd700b30.jpg

#9) Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Eukratides I Megas AR Tetradrachm. Circa 170-145 BC. Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing crested helmet adorned with bull's horn and ear / The Dioskouroi on horses prancing to right, each holding spear and palm; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ above, ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ below, monogram in lower right field. Bopearachchi 6T; Mitchiner 177i; SNG ANS 468; HGC 12, 131. 16.95g, 33mm, 12h. Good Extremely Fine; magnificent old cabinet tone.

From the Oxus Collection

1323550783_image(19).jpg.fbf83f0986bed4b7f8dbe4fa6f22004f.jpg

#10) KINGS of MACEDON. Kassander. As regent, 317-305 BC. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 14.41 g). In the name and types of Philip II. Amphipolis mint. Struck circa 316-311 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right / Youth, holding palm frond and rein, on horseback right; aphlaston below, • in Π below raised foreleg. Le Rider pl. 46, 17–8; Troxell, Studies, Group 9, 323-5; SNG ANS 738–46. Pretty iridescent toning with a razor sharp strike and excellent centering. Essentially mint state, NGC CH AU 5/5, 4/5

Syracuse20litrae.jpg.e8311498be1e77f01fa8eeb512bb470a.jpg

#11) SICILY. Syracuse. Dionysius I (406/5-367 BC). AV 20-litrai or tetradrachm (10mm, 0.99 gm, 8h). Attic standard, ca. 406/5 BC. ΣYPA, head of Heracles left, wearing lion skin headdress / Σ-Y/P-A, quadripartite incuse square; small head of Arethusa in central incuse circle, all within incuse circle with double border. SNG ANS 351-4. HGC 2, 1289. NGC Choice AU 4/5 - 5/5.

Ex Gustav Philipsen Collection (Hirsch XV, 1906), lot 1175

460378907_image(20).jpg.18106e25c6dcd1510c124e8073e02515.jpg

#12) Roman Republican, The Caesarians. Julius Caesar. April-August 49 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 4.12 g, 10h). Military mint traveling with Caesar. Elephant advancing right, trampling on horned serpent / Emblems of the pontificate: simpulum, aspergillum, securis, and apex. Crawford 443/1; CRI 9; Sydenham 1006; RSC 49; RBW 1557. Fairly well centered with a good strike and iridescent toning. EF.

Ex. Duke’s Auctioneers (10 March 2016), Lot 18

Janus.jpg.45b75fb313b36794f67133ccf62d40f7.jpg

#13) Roman Republic, Anonymous AR Didrachm (Quadrigatus). Rome, circa 225-214 BC. Laureate head of Janus / Jupiter, holding sceptre and brandishing thunderbolt, in quadriga driven to right by Victory; ROMA in relief in linear frame below. Crawford 28/3 & Pl. IV 1-5; Sydenham 64c; RSC 23; RBW 68. 6.88 grams. Extremely Fine; nice cabinet toning with iridescent highlights. NGC CH AU star 5/5, 5/5.

Ex. Jonathan K. Kern Collection

Screenshot_20220922-104249_Chrome.jpg.9fdab474fc24febed9454da07ba2fd16.jpg

#14) Northeast Gaul, the Ambiani AV Stater. Gallic War uniface type. Circa 56-55 BC. Plain / Devolved horse to right; pellet triad and 'charioteer's arms' above, crescent and pellet below, exergual line with crescents and pellets below. D&T 241; cf. LT 8704, 8707, 8710 (reverse detail variants); ABC 16; Van Arsdell 56-1. 6.33g, 18mm, Mint State.

Kosonstar.jpg.589eb9f92410a5264a509b63371cf547.jpg

#15) SKYTHIA, Geto-Dacians. Koson. Mid 1st century BC. AV Stater (8.40 g). Roman consul accompanied by two lictors advancing left; monogram to left; KOΣΩN in exergue / Eagle standing left on scepter, holding wreath. Hourmouziadis dies B/f; Iliescu 1; RPC I 1701A; HGC 3, 2049. NGC MS Star 5/5, 5/5

Screenshot_20221111_175425_Chrome.jpg.366fe31e8f02f58d7d2acb54c4e12ff7.jpg

#16) Sicily, Kamarina Æ Tetras. (4.11 grams, 18mm, 10h) Circa 420-405 BC. Facing Gorgoneion with tongue protruding / Owl standing right head facing, grasping lizard in its talons; three pellets below ground line. CNS III, 8; SNG ANS 1121-1124, Westermark & Jenkins 185. Mint State and exceptional for the type. NGC MS Star Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5, Fine Style.

Ex. Roma Numismatics Auction 8, Lot 69 (September 2014)

1372910651_image(21).jpg.fc4f0b566482784832212f443cb97745.jpg

#17) SELEUCID KINGDOM. Seleucus I Nicator (312-281 BC). AR tetradrachm (25mm, 17.09 gm). Seleucia II (2nd Workshop), from ca. 296/5 BC. Laureate head of Zeus right; dotted border / BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΣEΛEYKOY, Athena, brandishing spear overhead in right hand, shield on left arm, in car of quadriga pulled by horned elephants right; flanking anchor right above, KPA monogram in inner left field, HIXP monogram to lower right, dotted border. SC 130.17. SNG Fitzwilliam 5511. HGC 9, 18a. Excellent Metal for the issue, NGC CH XF Star Strike 5/5, Surface 5/5.

1201687867_image(22).jpg.405f2ddd9605082150878a35564e3f68.jpg

#18) CELTIC BRITAIN, Atrebates & Regni. Verica, 10-40. Quarter Stater, 1.34 g, 'Stars' type. VERIC / COM•F with a crescent above and a six-rayed star below. Rev. REX Horse galloping to right; above, seven-rayed star. ABC 1208. BMC 1223-1236. S 127. Van Arsdell 501. Well-struck for the issue, Extremely Fine. NGC AU 5/5, 4/5

137687035_image(23).jpg.c77f9c5704af8779664c481102664273.jpg

#19) Pergamon, Attalos I (241-197 BC) AR Tetradrachm, in the name of Philetairos, 17.06g. Diademed head of Philetairos right. Rev. Athena seated left on throne, holding wreath and sceptre, and resting arm on shield, bow behind. (Westermark 62). Good Very Fine. NGC CH VF 5/5, 4/5 Fine Style

2075513638_image(11).jpg.6dd8325d9e72a3c024aba69bbdccd50a.jpg

#20) Thessaly, Larissa AR Drachm. Circa 356-342 BC. Head of the nymph Larissa facing slightly to left, with hair in ampyx / Horse standing to right, preparing to lie down; ΛAPIΣ-AIΩN above and below. Lorber, Hoard, Phase L-II, 40 (same dies); BCD Thessaly II 316; HGC 4, 454. Extremely Fine.

5 , 10 and 19..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I posted my list prematurely as I was able to pick up a handful more before year end- which I seriously didn't see coming or else I would have waited for my list. Anyways, here they are:

1310955993_image(4).jpg.3d2c87ff4749473b63047e70c558a2b5.jpg

SICILY, Messana. 425-413 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 17.29 g). Charioteer, holding reins, driving slow biga of mules right; above, Nike advancing right on reins, crowning mules with wreath; olive leaf and berry in exergue / Hare springing right; below, dolphin right. Caltabiano Series XIII, 487 (D199/R198); HGC 2, 787; SNG ANS 358 (same dies); SNG Lloyd 1095 (same dies); Boston MFA 290 (same dies); McClean 2395 (same dies). Mint State with gorgeous lustrous surfaces and iridescent toning. NGC MS 4/5, 4/5

Ex. A. Tkalec AG, 5/9/2005 lot 19

1464931676_image(5).jpg.66df1d19f6f8b1d29ab070dcc1c38067.jpg

ISLANDS off CARIA, Kos. Circa 350-345 BC. AR Tetradrachm (15.17 g, 11h). Herakleitos, magistrate. Bearded head of Herakles left, wearing lion skin / Crab; club and HRAKLEITO[S] below; all in dotted square within incuse square. Pixodarus 16a (O5/R11; this coin); SNG Copenhagen -. EF, toned, underlying luster. NGC XF Star 5/5, 4/5 Fine Style.

Ex. CNG Mail Bid Sale 73, September 2006, Lot 371
Ex. Gorny & Mosch auction 146, March 2006, Lot 248
Ex. UBS Gold & Numismatics Auction 63, September 2005, lot 196
Ex Sternberg 18 (20 November 1986), lot 171; Pixodarus hoard (CH IX, 421).

322171174_image(28).jpg.ba87e0828a759893784a1fac123cad02.jpg

AEOLIS. Cyme. Ca. 165-155 BC. AR tetradrachm (31mm, 16.94 gm, 12h). Callias, magistrate. Head of the Amazon Cyme right, hair bound with taenia / KYMAIΩN, horse standing right, left foreleg raised, one handled cup below; KAΛΛIAΣ in exergue, all within laurel wreath. SNG Copenhagen 103. SNG von Aulock 1636.
Superb EF on a large well flan, well centered and struck with old cabinet toning. NGC CH AU Star 5/5, 5/5 Fine Style.

Ex. Davissons Auction 16 (2002)
Ex. Spink & Son

1386061771_image(29).jpg.26459263c5a0daf14d8a2bcc441f2c09.jpg

Sicily, Syracuse, Hieron II, 275-215 B.C. 16 litrae for his wife Philistis. AR 13.39 g. Diademed, veiled head of Philistis l., in field r., ear of corn. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΑΣ - ΦΙΛΙΣΤΙΔΟΣ Nike, nude to waist and with open wings, driving fast quadriga r., holding reins with both her hands; above, ΚΙ, below forelegs of the horses, ear of corn r. A. Burnett, The Enna Hoard and the Silver Coinage of the Syracusan Democracy, SNR 62, 1983, 43. BMC 548. Scarce variety. NGC CH AU Star 5/5, 5/5.

Ex. New York Sale Auction 23, January 2010 Lot 6
Ex. Baldwins Auctions 62-63 September 2009, Lot 6
Ex. LHS Numismatics AG Auction 102, April 2008, Lot 98
Ex. NAC Auction 29, May 2005, Lot 131

1999745796_image(30).jpg.c98c4aaf8d598bdd809258de3f834823.jpg

SICILY, Syracuse. Timoleon and the Third Democracy. Circa 344-317 BC. AR Stater (8.66 g, 21mm). Pegasos flying left / Helmeted head of Athena right. Pegasi II pg. 607, 2; SNG ANS 494. Attractively toned, superb EF, well struck, nicely centered. NGC CH AU Star 5/5, 5/5

Ex. CNG Mail Bid Sale 64 (September 2003) Lot 62

581309485_image(31).jpg.5232ab834c2294298cd6466e3f99b0ed.jpg

ISLANDS off CARIA, Rhodos. Rhodes. Circa 230-205 BC. AR Tetradrachm (13.54 gm, 1h). Eukrates, magistrate. Radiate head of Helios facing slightly right / Rose with bud to right; thunderbolt to left, EUKRATHS below. Ashton 214; SNG Keckman 548; SNG Copenhagen 754 var. (position of ethnic). Superb EF. Exceptional strike with fresh dies. NGC CH AU Star 5/5, 4/5 Fine Style.

Ex. CNG Mail Bid Sale 69 (June 2005) Lot 462
Ex. Spink Sale 4018 (October 2004) Lot 46

1167403886_image(32).jpg.be7c9d70ddfb58f4eaa290fcb66ba901.jpg

SICILY, Entella. Punic issues. Circa 320/15-300 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 16.85g). Wreathed head of Arethusa left, wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace; four dolphins swimming around / Horsehead left, palm behind; Punic 'MMHNT below. Jenkins, Punic 168 (O50/R149); SNG Lloyd 1635 (same dies); HGC 2, 284. EF and well centered on a large flan with iridescent toning over lustrous surfaces. NGC AU Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5 Fine Style. 

Ex. Gorny & Mosch Auction 114 (March 2002) Lot 34

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

13 minutes ago, panzerman said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really spectacular examples Kazuma. I could not do justice in selecting only three/ I love them ALL. Seems you had a super 2022/ here is wishing you have an amazing 2023!

Thanks for sharing....

John

Thanks @panzerman! I have been thrilled with this year and I'm positive I won't have another year like it for a long time if ever. But if I've learned one thing, it's that you have to get the good coins when you can! You also had a great year, so cheers to a great 2023 for you too!

• Like 1

Of your latest acquisitions, (and they're all great), the Messana coin is really fantastic, but if I could add one to my collection, it would be the Punic tetradrachm. I love the large flan and toning. A Carthaginian coin is something I'm looking for.

Those coins turned a great year of collecting for you into an incredible one!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Di Nomos said:

Of your latest acquisitions, (and they're all great), the Messana coin is really fantastic, but if I could add one to my collection, it would be the Punic tetradrachm. I love the large flan and toning. A Carthaginian coin is something I'm looking for.

Those coins turned a great year of collecting for you into an incredible one!

Thank you! I love the flan on the punic tetradrachm- I even like that the flan is a little irregular since it adds a little extra character. The toning really sets it off and makes it extra attractive. 

I think my favorite of the group is the Sicily Pegasus Stater. The surfaces are very sharp and lustrous like the day it was struck. It's quite beautiful in hand and is probably top 5 in luster for any ancients I own. 

• Like 1