Six coins lost in the mail this year

robinjojo

For several years I had zero delivery issues, until just few weeks ago when 3 coins went missing. Mind you, on 3 different occasions, and in all 3 cases I can't blame the post. One is from very reputable European Vcoins dealer. He sent the coin, and few days later notified me that I might be getting an order of another person instead of mine. I said no problem, the moment I receive it I will send it to that person, expecting they do the same. Actually never received mine or his order. I used the cheap not tracked (bayer's risk) option since the coin was just $40, so I didn't feel comfortable asking for refund. More important is the loss of the coin, which is not particularly beautiful but rather rare with less than 10 known specimens. 

Two other missing coins were from Ebay, both from the same dealer from whom I purchased many coins over two years with no issues. One of the packages I received from him had one coin less. I let him know and he immediately apologized and said he located the coin and will include it with the next shipping. Will, it did not arrive in the next or following shipping (yes, his offering is overlapping very well with my collecting interests so I purchase coins from him quite often) despite his promises. I didn't make much fuss about it, the coin is cheap and not particularly rare. But just last week it happened again, in order of just two coins only one was included but also the package included a 'certificate of authenticity' of the missing coin so it is not like he forgot about it. This time it was much more important and valuable coin and I immediately contacted him. He apologized and again said he located it and will send it with next shipping. I am waiting now, but if it will not be included again I don't think I will be able to take any action with Ebay since the package is marked as delivered.

• Like 2
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

3 hours ago, Factor said:

For several years I had zero delivery issues, until just few weeks ago when 3 coins went missing. Mind you, on 3 different occasions, and in all 3 cases I can't blame the post. One is from very reputable European Vcoins dealer. He sent the coin, and few days later notified me that I might be getting an order of another person instead of mine. I said no problem, the moment I receive it I will send it to that person, expecting they do the same. Actually never received mine or his order. I used the cheap not tracked (bayer's risk) option since the coin was just $40, so I didn't feel comfortable asking for refund. More important is the loss of the coin, which is not particularly beautiful but rather rare with less than 10 known specimens. 

Two other missing coins were from Ebay, both from the same dealer from whom I purchased many coins over two years with no issues. One of the packages I received from him had one coin less. I let him know and he immediately apologized and said he located the coin and will include it with the next shipping. Will, it did not arrive in the next or following shipping (yes, his offering is overlapping very well with my collecting interests so I purchase coins from him quite often) despite his promises. I didn't make much fuss about it, the coin is cheap and not particularly rare. But just last week it happened again, in order of just two coins only one was included but also the package included a 'certificate of authenticity' of the missing coin so it is not like he forgot about it. This time it was much more important and valuable coin and I immediately contacted him. He apologized and again said he located it and will send it with next shipping. I am waiting now, but if it will not be included again I don't think I will be able to take any action with Ebay since the package is marked as delivered.

It can be frustrating ordering coins through eBay.  It sounds as if you have a good ongoing relationship with this dealer, and if he values your continuing purchases, he should make things right and send you the coin.  

My problem was having  second party, who I didn't know anything about, send coins through a seller who I have been purchasing coins from for the last three years.  I should have known better.  It is always risky relying on people you don't know.

Edited by robinjojo