Time to Become a Real Website!

Restitutor

• Benefactor

Hi everyone - Steve Moulding here. I run rNumis.com. I've just joined and want to say hello. Thanks to @DonnaML for alerting external folks to this place and to @Restitutor for putting this together. It looks great. I look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 15

Glad to see you here.  I was unaware of your page and database but look forward to examining it more fully.  First visit displayed a few hundred coins that match the general search parameters I inserted (under 2g, Sicily) but failed to match the types I was seeking.  I suspect a lot of this is that old collections tended to avoid the smaller coins I collect.  It is easier to find a dekadrachm than a hemiobol.  I hope you will become an active participant here.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, dougsmit said:

Glad to see you here.  I was unaware of your page and database but look forward to examining it more fully.  First visit displayed a few hundred coins that match the general search parameters I inserted (under 2g, Sicily) but failed to match the types I was seeking.  I suspect a lot of this is that old collections tended to avoid the smaller coins I collect.  It is easier to find a dekadrachm than a hemiobol.  I hope you will become an active participant here.

Thank you, Doug, for the kind words and for checking out the website. It's a definitely a work in progress and I hope will improve as people try it and make suggestions. Those pre-war sales do tend to be overly heavy in certain types. Syracuse Tetradrachms for example. I already need to add some secondary filtering for those. There are just too many. I suspect that's what sold back then, and other interesting coins just didn't get photographed so much given the prevailing cost and catalog space considerations.

At some point I'll probably start a standalone thread on the project and hopefully have a fuller discussion. Perhaps even along the lines of turning it into something more collaborative - that would be great for getting Italy/Sicily done more quickly, as well as expanding to other Ancient Greek regions, Roman, etc.  

Steve

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rNumis said:

Hi everyone - Steve Moulding here. I run rNumis.com. I've just joined and want to say hello. Thanks to @DonnaML for alerting external folks to this place and to @Restitutor for putting this together. It looks great. I look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve - a fantastic resource - thank you!  Here are a few suggestions on user interface - especially as a first time / infrequent user, it wasn't obvious how to navigate. 

- From the home page I think a more prominent link to the two databases (beyond the menu) would be useful for new users.    Maybe something simple and graphical that shares why you would use them:

image.png.9d0c7d368edf9c6cdba51c51d8ad2aae.png
- (Provenance DB) it be nice to be able to sort by date or weight
- (Provenance DB) when I hit the 5th page it was surprising that I could page beyond - some indication that there are more than 5 pages would be useful.

image.png.a2d0a7d6f0b700771d211eff2c18d9a7.png
-(Provenance DB) weight does allow filtering to denomination, but it would be nice to have the option to filter by denomination too (even if that were just an automatic weight filter). 

-(Auction Catalog) it would be nice to have some indication of how many are available online on the front page

image.png.69a18ce4ca5137c6435015ecced615c4.png

Thanks so much for the excellent resource.

Edited by Sulla80
spelling corrected
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...