With Thanks to Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Quiz 2's prize has arrived!

Steppenfool

Some weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to win the competition held by @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix. Thankfully the quiz portion of the quiz was my exclusive area of collecting, Imperial Rome. This allowed me to get full marks and get more tickets in the draw!

The coins had to travel some way, from North America to Scotland. Surprisingly, delivery was achieved in 2 weeks. I was prepared for a much longer wait. 

I cannot supply coin pictures of my own at the time being. I don't have a set-up capable of taking decent pictures, and my camera phone recently decided to go the way of Nero and end its own life. Therefore I will have to post the same pictures that accompanied the competition thread. @Ocatarinetabellatchitchixleft the attribution to myself, so I will give my attempt below.

image.png.b9426f573d08dc04e63f43293b8e537f.png

Constantine I RIC VII Arelate 246

322 AD, AE Nummus

Obverse: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG. Head of Constantine I, laureate, right

Reverse: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG. VOT/XX within a laurel wreath

MintMark: -/-//ARL

OfficinaMark: S

Researching this one wasn't particularly straightforward. Wildwinds didn't have it on record and I couldn't get the OCRE search function to return anything substantial. However, googling details about the coin and specifying that ARLS had to be searched (and not corrected to Arles) resulted in me coming across the coin for sale with a link to the OCRE entry.

This coin is novel as it was minuted only 6 years before Arelatum was renamed Constantia in honour of Constantine II (who was born there in 316) in 328. I think my other Arelate coins all possess the CON mintmark.

image.png.dc86b239db41d01cd45496b3e0c7065b.png

Licinius RIC VII Antioch 17

315-316 AE Nummus

Obverse: IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG.  Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN. Jupiter standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding Victory on globe and sceptre, eagle with wreath at foot left. Epsilon in right field.

Mintmark ANT

Officina Mark: 

This coin was also quite fun to research. The mintmark being obscured made it a bit tougher. Thankfully the "NN" on the reverse only seems to be present at 3 mints. Siscia, Thessalonica and Antioch. Comparing portraits and what remained of the mintmark allowed me to be confident in the fact that it was an Antioch coin.

Of course, my attributions could be wrong! Such is the nature of not possessing the RIC volumes themselves. Feel free to correct me if so. Many thanks again to @Ocatarinetabellatchitchixfor his time and effort that was required to create the competition, and for his generosity in giving away coins as a prize. I will particularly treasure the Licinius, as it was a very blatant gap in my exclusively Roman Imperial collection that has been filled by the kindness of a fellow collector and a great story. I am still rather in awe at the whole process and was incredibly delighted to hold the coins in hand, completing the last chapter of a wonderful tale!

• Like 11

This board has the most generous, kindest members! What a great coin, @Steppenfool! This coin happens to be the first coin of Constantine I acquired for my collection many years ago. Mine's from the Aquileia mint.

1430950730_ConstantineIVOTXXCentenionalisAquileia.jpg.0a18925ed562dcb8404e755eaae61b8e.jpg
Constantine I, AD 307-337.
Roman Æ Centenionalis, 2.59 g, 18.4 mm.
Aquileia, AD 321.
Obv: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate head right.
Rev: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, laurel wreath around VOT XX; ·AQ · below.
Refs: RIC vii, p. 404, no. 85; RCV 16216; Cohen 123.

• Like 4