Worst of type contest; Roman Republic denarius 80-35 BC

Nerosmyfavorite68

Let's have a little fun; I thought it would be funny to have a worst of type contest.  The winner has bragging rights of worst of type. I poked around on vcoins, but they don't seem to offer gift certificates, anymore.

A true worst of type could potentially be an unattributable slick, so I broadened the range to about 50 years, cutting off before the Antony legionary denarii. An attributable, but awful, type can be worse than a slick.  I consider that to be much uglier than a slick.  Official coins only, no fourrees.  Roman Republican denarii of 80-35BC. 

I'm the thread-starter, so I thought it would be cheating if I participated, especially since my Caesar portrait denarius is wretched enough to be the Ivan Drago of awful coins, a total knockout.

I didn't know where to start.  I thought about starting with post-360 LRB A3's. It'd have to be a wide range there, as an awful one would be unattributable to ruler.

Let's have some fun.  It's not meant to insult anyone, just a way to have fun with some of our not so great coins, which many of us have.

Perhaps we could get some entrants, whittle them down to 4 or 5 entries, and within a week or two, have a poll voting for the worst one?

The thread could be a lot of fun, or a total dud, depending on the level of participation.   Most of us are self-deprecating enough to admit that we have at least a few awful coins kicking about.

My first coin (well co-first coin, there were two) is a Nero? As?.  I think it's in the open tray, where I put the worst of the worst, and my coin photography skills aren't up to snuff.

Too bad my coin photography is awful, I have another awful one.  Not an entrant, I guess, but can anyone ID it from my wretched attempt of earlier this year? I think it's the type with 10 billion different control marks, although the name of the type eludes me.

981696216_RomanrepublicdenariusforID.jpg.01f51ba863f88a028532c0a7d57adfe3.jpg

• Like 14

This is tricky, although that might be because in changing your mind where to start, you've posted in Roman Empire asking for Roman Republic 😁

I don't collect Roman Republic, but I do happen to have some quite terrible Republic denarii. Unfortunately, there's a big gap between my Mark Antony Legionary slick (32-31BC) and my Publius Licinius Nerva brockage (113-112BC), and nothing at all in between.

• Like 2

There is indeed a Roman Republic forum, but it's okay that your thread is here. I imagine most collectors of Roman coins collect both and follow both forums.

This is my most well-worn Republican denarius and it dates from the time period you ask for. Nonetheless, it's one of my favorites!

[IMG]
L. Mussidius Longus, Moneyer 42 BC.
Roman Republican AR denarius, 3.48 gm, 16.4 mm, 4 h.
Rome, 42 BC.
Obv: Draped bust of Marc Antony's 3rd wife, Fulvia, as Victory, right.
Rev: L·MVSSIDIVS LONGVS, Victory in biga right, holding reins in both hands.
Refs: RRC 494/40; BMCRR 4229; RCV 1517; Sydenham 1095; RSC Mussidia 4; Banti Mussidia 613.
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

This one is pretty ugly....

L Papius Denarius Serratus

Obv:– Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, cooking pot with hook.
Rev:– Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, triple flesh-hook
Minted in Rome from B.C. 79.
Reference:– RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
Symbol variety – RRC 13. Babelon 13. BMCRR 35. CNR: 1/049.

A "Stannard" weight adjustment scoop on the reverse

Papia_1p_img.jpg

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 12

Or worn almost to oblivion

Obv:– Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat skin tied under chin. Behind head, Funnel strainer.
Rev:– Gryphon running right; in ex., L. PAPI.; in field, hydria (two-handled vase).
Minted in Rome from . B.C. 79.
Reference(s) – RSC Papia 1. RRC 384/1. RCTV 311.
Symbol variety – RRC 99. Babelon unlisted. BMCRR 99

Papia_1j_img.jpg

• Like 13

It is what it is...

AntonyCaesarportrait.jpg.4deae5e3a358aa4c52445e8853528bd8.jpg

Mark Antony & Julius Caesar portrait denarius
M ANTON IMP R P C
Bare head of Mark Antony right, bearded, lituus behind

CAESAR DIC
Wreathed head of Caesar right, capis behind

Gaul, November 43 BC

Imperators 123, Crawford 488/2, Sydenham 1166, Cohen 3, BMCRR Gaul 55, 57

3.05g

Rare!

• Like 12
  • Laugh 1
  • Shock 1

These must be close to worst of type 😄   I still buy some miserable specimens, but I was worse 😄

Moneyer: Q. Caepio Brutus (M. Junius Brutus)
Coin: Silver Denarius
BRVTVS - Head of L. Junius Brutus, the Ancient, right
AHALA - Head of Caius Servilius Ahala right
Mint: Rome (54 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.36g / 17mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 30 (Junia)
  • Sydenham 907
  • Crawford 433/2
Acquisition: Numismatik Lanz eBay 22-Oct-2011

spacer.png

In ny defence, this next one cost just £3.14 - couldn't really let it go to someone else for less than that!

Moneyer: L. Livineius Regulus
Coin: Silver Denarius
L. REGVLVS PR - Bare head of praetor L. Livineius Regulus right
REGVLVS F - Curule chair between two fasces
Exergue: PRAEF VR
Mint: Rome (42 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.34g / 16mm / 1h
References:
  • RSC 8 (Livineia)
  • Sydenham 1113
  • Crawford 494/31
Acquisition: Den Of Antiquity eBay 24-Feb-2014