Just for FUN: what’s special with this coin ???

Helmeted, cuirasssed with High crested, long crest, 3 turreted open doors reverse. RIC 190 with unlisted officina? Or more accurately unlisted somewhere arounf RIC 190. All other examples of RIC 190 seem to be High Crested with 4 turrets. The other long crested examples I can find with this description have 4 turrets....

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 2

Congratulations Ben and Martin. It took you 5 minutes to revealed the secret ! Yes it’s a modern forgery (and for sale as it). My question: the last time I bought a campgate 10 years ago, they were about the most common and cheapest coin type to acquire. So why taking energy and time to create those counterfeits for almost nothing ???

So this particular specimen appears cast, and I originally thought this reverse type as a whole was fake, but here are a few more that make me wonder...

Same as above

image.png.ba4c15857ff1f9bda86bd73b8e5ef573.png

Same reverse, different bust type

image.png.0cb2297b7c7791ff6609afe40ec93d9d.png

Different officina

image.png.e37f511ebb58c21183033bde7906881a.png

Crispus

image.png.0906e8c03efd854f58ae77f1bd2a18a5.png

None of these are mine. Crispus one is GB's - hpoe he doesn't mind me using it to illustrate these varieties.

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

So are the open door types always fakes?

No - there are genuine open door types both from Arles (multiple issues) and Rome (P-R series) with 4 turrets.

Rome issued four varieties of campgates in the P-R series, not counting this "three turrets, open doors" one:

1) three turrets, closed doors

2) three turrets, no doors

3) four turrets, no doors

4) four turrets, open doors

These "three turrets, open doors" ones are certainly irregular/transitional at best, but given the number of die combinations I tend to think they (as a type) are at least ancient. Complicating matters is the fact that cast copies such as the one @Ocatarinetabellatchitchixposted also exist.

• Like 1