Happy (belated) Columbus Day!

CPK

530 years ago last Monday, Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and discovered the New World. It was a staggering achievement of navigation, seamanship, and courage, and changed the course of world history.

Post your Columbus-related coins in commemoration!

Here is one which I recently acquired, a massive silver coin featuring Columbus's flagship the Santa Maria:

1973_bahams_10.jpg.8a00cd7a186188f0db35a0622704b4ed.jpg

• Like 11
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here's my oldest Spanish colonial coin, a silver piece of eight, minted in the New World, during the Age Of Exploration.

image.jpeg.d37725570ebe7b420f12b115794215fe.jpeg

Spain. Philip II. Silver 8 Reales "Piece Of Eight". 1589 AD To 1591 AD. Potosi Mint (In What Is Now Bolivia). Assayer RL. 37.7 mm. 27.20 grams. Paoletti 97. Sedwick P13. KM 5.1.

• Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

19 hours ago, CPK said:

530 years ago last Monday, Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and discovered the New World.

Can't really say you discovered something when someone else was already there! I usually say re-discovered the New World (even if you look at it from the western point of view, the vikings landed there even earlier). However, the re-discovery did change the course of Western civilization as well as the existing American civilization...

Castile & León: Fernando V & Isabel I (1474-1504) CU 2 Maravedis, Cuenca (ME 24579; MEC 6, 846)

Obv: Three-towered castle façade; patriarchal cross and C flanking; pomegranate in exergue
Rev: Crowned lion passant left

normal_ME-24579.jpg

• Like 4