Late Byzantine Fake Archive! Largest on the Internet

TheTrachyEnjoyer

http://www.byzantinecoins.net/

I figured I would share this here! I'm not sure how many late byzantine collectors there are on k321387 but I am actively compiling a fake database for the era. Sadly most auction houses don't know anything about these coins and firms as nice as NAC sell the worst fakes I have ever seen. My website is designed to help the collector avoid all fakes known to me. I've got maybe 50 or so up right now which makes it the largest for this era already. Each fake "family" is classified by a number and multiple letters. Fake 1a would be the first example of the type, 1b the second and so on. There will be more added as I come across them. Let me know what you think and if there are any fakes you have run across which I haven't listed! I had no idea there we so many fake basilikons😟. Any help would be appreciated. I'm hoping to make this a well known resource that saves late byzantine collectors some money

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, AncientNumis said:

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will be useful to lots of collectors here, and it looks like you've done an awesome job so far!

Thanks! I am also working on having my collection hosted on the same site as well as a general catalogue. There are so many unpublished types that the collectors need a new system!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Thanks! I am also working on having my collection hosted on the same site as well as a general catalogue. There are so many unpublished types that the collectors need a new system!

Would love to see your collection on there! I would definitely spend a while looking through them - your coins are so fascinating in many ways. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I had a quick look at your catalog of Nicaean and Palaeologan fakes.

Most of them look OK to me - if you are going to condemn coins you will need to give reasons - e.g, if two coins from the same dies have identical flans it's reasonable conclude that at least one of them is a cast copy of some host. 

And so on, but we have to see the evidence. 

Regarding Palaeologan Fake 15, it is generally thought that this type is simply a provincial version of Sear 2472 rather than a modern fake. For another example from the same dies see below. Also below are two more examples of the type from a different pair of dies.

Incidentally Palaeologan Fake 12a seems to be a fourree, so I wouldn't call it a (modern) fake.

Ross G.

AnIII-s.2472par-1b-1.26g (#,#)-CNG58-1494.jpg

AnIII-s.2472par-2b-1.04g (#,#)-BBS140-481.jpg

AnIII-s.2472par-3b-1.38g (2, 2)-BBS173-255.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Glebe said:

I had a quick look at your catalog of Nicaean and Palaeologan fakes.

Most of them look OK to me - if you are going to condemn coins you will need to give reasons - e.g, if two coins from the same dies have identical flans it's reasonable conclude that at least one of them is a cast copy of some host. 

And so on, but we have to see the evidence. 

Regarding Palaeologan Fake 15, it is generally thought that this type is simply a provincial version of Sear 2472 rather than a modern fake. For another example from the same dies see below. Also below are two more examples of the type from a different pair of dies.

Incidentally Palaeologan Fake 12a seems to be a fourree, so I wouldn't call it a (modern) fake.

Ross G.

AnIII-s.2472par-1b-1.26g (#,#)-CNG58-1494.jpg

AnIII-s.2472par-2b-1.04g (#,#)-BBS140-481.jpg

AnIII-s.2472par-3b-1.38g (2, 2)-BBS173-255.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

it had initially started as a private catalogue which is why most don’t have an explanation but this is something I will add. Thanks for your advice here and I will reconsider these coins

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Great resource!  I'm really nervous buying late Byzantine silver, there are so many fakes out there.  If you, @Glebe, and @quant.geek were to collaborate on this I think it would be FABULOUS. 👍👍

There were a number of late Byzantine silver basilika on the market a few years ago, many of which can be found on the Forum Ancient Coins site here:

Fake Byzantine Coins - Dr. Ilya Prokopov's Fake Ancient Coin Reports (forumancientcoins.com)

Note that these were generally cast copies of known or unknown genuine coins.

Edited by Glebe
Extra info
  • Like 4